Several issues with the P-51Ds (Reno package planes)

edit: Tested with and without addons in the Community folder. No difference.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
no

Brief description of the issue:

1. My cockpit view always starts moved/offset to the right instead of centered in the P-51Ds (no screenshot for that, sorry, but i guess you can imagine that)
  2. The P-51D Bunny has a pre-trimmed rudder. The other planes have 0 trim at the start.
  3. The cockpit view in the P-51D Man’o’War glitches, especially when you use inputs. In other planes i don’t have that issue. In the outside view, you can even see the pilot glitching in and out of the cockpit :smile: (didn’t make a video of that sadly, but saw it)
  4. You can’t use buttons for Rudder/Aileron trimming. Using the knobs in the cockpit works and in other planes the buttons for trimming work. (As sidenote: While testing joystick buttons and keyboard buttons and rebind them, i saw that the tooltip for Trim Rudder right says Aileron instead of rudder)

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:
pilot/view glitch in P-51D Man’o’War

P-51D Bunny pre trimmed Rudder

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Fly/Load in with the different P-51Ds in Free Flight

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:
i7-4790k, 16GB Ram, Vega 64, Game on SSD
Logitech G502+G910 Orion Spark
Virpil Constellation Alpha + MongoosT-50CM3

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
SU7/Reno Release:
cockpit view offset to right

SU8: (maybe already pre SU8, didn’t test freeflight with P-51Ds before SU8)
Rudder pre trimmed for “Bunny”
SU8 no button function for Rudder Trim in P-51Ds
SU8 pilot/view glitch in “Man’o’War”

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Search is your Friend Reno P51

I couldn’t find anything related to the issues i face.
Most of them relate to a wonky behavior on the ground/while taking of or landing because of problematic center of gravity.
Or am i blind?

I have P 51 D Man O War Reno and have a similar problem. The pilot seems to be located half in and half out of the cockpit on the right hand side by default. The panel can be centred using arrows but easily goes into external views, sometimes at an angle, when trying to fly. I use Track IR but the same thing happens if I disconnect Track IR. I purchased Total Rudder ultralight from Marketplace and the pilot is also located to the right hand side. However, in this case, the pilot view can be moved by the arrows and there is no subsequent problem. In addition, the P 51D is almost impossible to handle on the ground despite 5 degrees right rudder trim being applied and a gentle increase in power. It likes to turn in circles as if under differential braking.

With beta AAU1 our Bunny looks like this: the first picture is from the cockpit, and the second one is from the chase view

Yes, it’s exactly the same for me. The instruments are all over the place.
I even bought a new PC now in the last month and completely reinstalled MSFS2020 to hopefully get rid of this issue. But no luck, still the same.
Especially the cockpit view that is off center as default in these planes is super annoying.

The Rudder Trim still doesn’t work with buttons or in my case a rotary knob that works otherwise fine in other planes.

But at least i found a solution to the pretrimmed rudder, which makes it in my mind way harder to take of. After removing this rudder trim before you get rolling, it is a lot easier to get this bird airborne without her being all over the runway and dragging into one direction. Yes, you still have to put in a fair bit of rudder yourself and be gentle with the inputs, but still way easier.
There is the option Reset Rudder Trim with a button. And this actually works. I also noticed, that you don’t have a pretrimmed rudder if you spawn on a parking spot. Only if you spawn right on the runway.
As a sidenote, a Reset Aileron Trim would be nice to have to in my mind.

I really like flying the P-51s and identified these problems.

1. Some planes have 3 tanks (2 in wings and 1 in fuselage) and others only have 2 fuel tanks.
    Goldfinger - 3
    Voodoo - 2
    Wee Willy II - 2
    Mrs Virginia - 2 (P-51 A)
    Bunny - 3
    Lady B - 2
    Man-O-War - 3
    Miss America - 2
    Spam Can/ Dolly - 3
    Strega - 2

2. ALL these planes show a back seat:
    A. You cannot configure a passenger in PAYLOAD.
    B. Planes with fuselage tanks would not have a rear seat (image is from original documentation of P-51D) shows Fuselage tank is right behind the pilot.

C. You cannot add DROP tanks, which would be a nice to have.

3. All planes in Aircraft Selection show maximum distance 298NM. Planes with three tanks can fly about 800NM with recommended long range settings 37" MAN and 2400 RPM.

4. Fuel Selectors are inaccurate, except for Goldfinger, Mrs. Virginia and Strega.
    VooDoo - No fuel selector. All fuel is transferred to the Left tank.
    Strega burns from both tanks simultaneously, which is OK.

All other planes have selector that points to Drop Tanks and/or FUS. Tank but draw fuel from the Left Wing, Right Wing and Fuselage tanks). They do not point to MAIN Tanks like Goldfinger and Mrs Virginia.

All other planes transfer fuel from select tank when other than Left Tank is selected. Selecting any tank (except for left) will quickly transfer fuel to the Left tank. The selected fuel tank will empty causing the engine to quit.

Lady B and Miss America have two fuel tanks, but L.H. COMBAT DROP tank is not Right. OFF is Right fuel tank and fuel is transferred to the Left tank from the OFF position.

Fuel burn is higher than expected.

This says: @ FL200, 2400 RPM and 42" MAN should burn 82 GPH.
I can throttle back to 35" MAN and get 86 GPH in Goldfinger.

1. Hydraulic pressure drops off when you shut off the engine. Some planes (Goldfinger) have a hydraulic pressure release value. So, the pressure would remain until that valve is pulled. Landing Gear and Win Flaps are operated hydraulically. However, the flaps will stay where last set when hydraulic pressure is removed.

Note Goldfinger Fuel Selector has LH, FUS. and RH Tanks and are selectable.

Reference: P-51 Flight Manual, North American Aviation, INC.

1 Like