Shimmering/AA downgrade since SU5 (in-game, not menus/overlays)

This is what I see on my setup. First two above are on a monitor.

5800X 32GB, Gigabyte RTX 3090 Gaming OC, MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi, Reverb G2, Windows 10, OpenXR, all the latest drivers and BIOS

3 Likes

The second two above are in VR. Notice the shimmering objects. These shots appear lower resolution because I captured them off the WMR Portal mirror but I assure you in VR at 100/100 sim/OpenXR the views look sharp.

The constant wiggling/shimmering of object edges is not being caused by movement of the headset but for some other mysterious reason. I almost wonder if MSFS is adding values to the telemetry data from the headset as it calculates the next frame and then giving the appearance that the headset is slightly wiggling by a pixel or two causing the shimmer everyone sees in VR. If it were caused by the lighting algorithm or TAA, it should shimmer on both monitor and VR view but it doesnā€™t for me and I donā€™t use AA anyway.

3 Likes

Yup I see it on the wind sock and the runway and aircraft edges look very jagged. ughā€¦ same result still on my PC.

Edit: VR looks way worse! But yeah still noticeable in 2D as well.

These are exactly what I see on my screen and on some occasions I notice worse than these as well. They should certainly focus on this and give right amount of importance to fix.

Oh wow and I thought 2D is already really bad!
I watched the Q&A and they stated they may have found an issue regarding autogen buildings rendering details in the distance which causes shimmering.
But obviously, as seen in your videos, it basically affects any object which leads me to believe that the shimmering in the distance may be unrelated to other AA related issues.
Of course I hope to be proven wrong, but this could be a longer lasting problemā€¦

1 Like

I posted the 2D/monitor vs VR shot comparison to show that the shimmering is nonstop in VR. In 2D there is no shimmering at all around buildings edges. Everything is solid as long as the camera isnā€™t moving (as seen in the videos). Shimmering only occurs when you move the camera, which is to be expected and is usually caused by aliasing. You need to use AA or an extremely high resolution to stop it. Videos posted by CptLucky8 show shimmering on buildings that may or may not be aliasing related. His show the shimmering happening in some strange pattern. If you see that on a monitor or VR that certainly needs fixing if itā€™s not aliasing.

What bothers me is the constant shimmering/vibrating in VR even with the headset sitting on a chair completely still (camera not moving at all). That drives me nuts. I wish they could fix that.

5 Likes

Okay I am 95% sure that it has something to do with from what direction the sun casts light onto the environment.
In this video you can see, that the parts which are directly exposed to the sun start to shimmer and you can see the black dots/artifacts which are causing this shimmering effect. It is very subtle in this example but I am certain that this may be the issue.
Please watch in fullscreen and full resolution to be able to see it. I point at the effects with my mouse.

As you can see, as soon as I turn away from the sun, the shimmering goes away as well.

2 Likes

The aliasing is definitely more pronounced with specular reflections in 2D. In VR I noticed it in Bigscreenā€¦nonstop shimmering even with headset still on certain items. So itā€™s not unique to MSFS; itā€™s just more visible there. I wonder if itā€™s WMR or OpenXR related. Is anyone having this problem on an Oculus or a Vive?

Wing trailing edges, buildings, far away landscape and runway and taxiway markings are all showing this effect. Great video to showcase the problem, thanks a lot for uploading that! Bug is visible 100%! :slightly_smiling_face: Hope this helps the dev team find the problem!

1 Like

Exactly. Especially fine edges like lamp posts and fences are prone to shimmer like there is no tomorrow.
If this gets fixed I might even consider the sim to be in a perfect state.

1 Like

Yes, I have the shimmering on Oculus quest 2, both when using Oculusvr and steamvr runtimes

I also remember someone who had multiple headsets say the effect appeared worse in quest 2 than in reverb g2

1 Like

Good job capturing the shimmering on the wing edges. Would you maybe be able to make a similar recording over Innsbruck or another autogen area with lots of buildings?

That would be amazing. I think most people are much more concerned about the shimmering on autogen buildings and trees as itā€™s so omnipresent. The shimmer on the wings is really easy to ignore by comparison, at least for meā€¦

Iā€™ve tried recording it myself but that didnā€™t really work out.

1 Like

Interesting, so itā€™s not WMR/OpenXR only. Then it must be something in certain programs like MSFS. I can understand it being more pronounced with lower resolutions. Thatā€™s the nature of aliasing. I can deal with aliasing, but the constant jiggling of the camera view even when the headset is stationary ruins the experience for me. I donā€™t have this problem in the Steam Pavilion. If MSFS could look solid like that Iā€™d be happy. I submitted a ticket to Zendesk that if MSFS is moving the camera even at the tiniest noise signal, would they consider lowering the sensitivity slightly to be above that noise floor so the jiggling stops. (if thatā€™s the cause) I disabled WIFI in case it might be causing the noise in the head trackingā€¦no effect.

1 Like

Thank you. I am currently on a business trip but I was planning to make a video which shows the shimmering on buildings, structures, etc. I will post it here as soon as I am home again.

2 Likes

So I did some more tests. Unfortunately I was not able to make a video which compares the shimmering on terrain because it was very difficult to record.

However, in order to further manifest my suspicion I reduced the Render scaling to 30 in order to show the dependence of shimmering and from what direction the sun casts light onto the scenery.
Please note that an increase of render scaling does NOT get rid of shimmering. It only reduces the size of the flickering pixels, yet the issue is still present.

So as you can see, if the position of the sun is directly in front of the approach lights it gets really crazy, whereas if the sun is directly above or behind the lights, the issue is almost not visible.
These are all wild guesses and speculations as my main goal is only to visualize the issue we experience to the devs so donā€™t take it for granted.

The video is not compressed, the low quality is due to the before described reduction of render scaling. Yet watching in full screen is recommended as usual.

Edit: I want to add that I donā€™t think that the lights or the sun is the cause for the shimmering. I think it only makes the effect more visible depending on the position. The shimmering is present all the time whether for VR or for 2D.

2 Likes

Non vr here, but sometimes I get the shimmering if I change the display mode it goes away, not the point here so yesterday I went out and bought a new 4k hdmi cable and installed it, started the sim, and OMGā€¦the shimmering was everywhere no matter what I did to try to correct it. Switched the cable back out, and the shimmering went away.

When I correct it with the display button, it seems the displays that are set to have a lower contrast are the ones that dont exhibit the syndrome.

Nice one, thatā€™s some hardcore shimmering you captured!

By terrain, did you mean you tried to record shimmering on autogen buildings? We really need another good video of that.

On a side note, I think the shimmering on the buildings improves some when you turn building detail down to Low. Had it on high before and it definitely improved on Low. So the dev QA comment where he was saying it may be related to details on the buildings roofs may really be a factor.

Doesnā€™t explain a lot of the other shimmering when really close to airport buildings or the one in your video though I guessā€¦

2 Likes

I think I recorded the autogen shimmering somewhat visible. The effect gets stronger, when I move the plane up and down. As always watch in HD (manually set it to 1080p) and Fullscreen.

1 Like

Yep, thatā€™s the autogen shimmering. If you want a really intense iteration of it take off from Cairo and fly SW towards the pyramids. It looks like an earthquake :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Come on devsā€¦ any day nowā€¦ :neutral_face: