Shimmering/AA downgrade since SU5 (in-game, not menus/overlays)

Again here it is, the Rocket League example with AA supposedlly maxxed out…

The same thing happens in MSFS and all other sims.

thats what we say… just normal AA artifacts and not specific to MSFS, as you mention too.

Not normal at all.

About your PS… That’s why I said “again here it is” :roll_eyes:

Has anyone tried setting Building Details to “low”? I did that yesterday and this fixed the shimmering in VR (Reverb G2). Ok, they are not as nice as before in the nearfield, but with Terrain distance to 150 it looks OK in the medium to far distance. And i think i prefer the reduced details to the shimmering.
Perhaps the small details are too much.

The best fix for Asobo would be to reduce the details in the medium to high distance and keep it for the near distance.

Yes, this is the only thing that reduces the building shimmering. Some of the low buildings are really ugly though (solid brown cubes) so I have stayed on high and try to ignore the shimmering or fly in different places

I hope they can find and fix the underlying cause without having to reduce details… Its only on certain auto gen buildings at a certain Lod, so hopefully can be found and fixed.

2 Likes

Yes this does work, but only because it causes less build gs to be shown. So less buildings is obviously less buildings that shimmer, since they basically all shimmer.

Not a real solution but it does help. However, it also causes buildings to pop in really obviously.

1 Like

I read what you said, but the game developers already admitted it is a game issue.

Edit - It’s also worth noting that I own both AMD and Nvidia GPUs, and this issue appears on each of them. The underlying graphics are clearly broken when I disable AA. There is so much shimmering that TAA is unable to clean it all up.

1 Like

I somewhere read that Aliasing might be better in the SU9 Beta.
Anyone here participating in the Beta who can check if the shimmering is still present?

1 Like

I hope so, but I didn’t notice any mention of it in the release notes. I’ll let you know if things have improved from my point of view. If you don’t hear from me in the next few days, assume they haven’t.

1 Like

Shimmering is still present in SU9 beta. It might have reduced a little bit, but I’m not sure yet. Last night I wasn’t able to replicate the worst shimmering I’ve seen, but it takes the right conditions. (Many times there was no noticeable shimmering in pre-SU9 builds as well, depending on where I was flying and the time of day etc.)

1 Like

Is this with a G2?

I fly in 2D on a 40" HDTV connected to my laptop. The shimmering wasn’t as noticeable in early releases of the game.

Yeah it was almost non-existant before SU5

1 Like

I’ve seen a few comments where people said the picture looks sharper now (with SU9). Before I read those comments, I think I may have detected an increase in sharpness as well. Still unsure about this.

I haven’t used MSFS in a while, but I started it up today with SU9 and my Quest 2. The lighting in the Nevada landing challenge should make it a shimmer-fest, but I see very little shimmer (and almost none on the trees).
When trying the Rio landing challenge (which I used originally as a benchmark of shimmer), the bridge across the bay seems far less shimmery than I remember it, and while the buildings to the left still shimmer, it appears to be far less than before. Similarly the landscape in the distance, as well as the bridge to the left of the target runway used to shimmer a lot - but the effect is very limited here.
The antennas near the runway threshold, as well as the buildings to the right of the runway still shimmer to some extent, but far less than I remember it.

After a week of testing SU9 beta, I can say that not much has improved regarding this issue on my end. But if you’re noticing less shimmering in VR now, I’m happy for you.

Nothing changed in SU 9. :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

4 Likes

I found this post with videos of the problem, please take a look guys. It’s probably the best videos showcasing the problem:

I seriously hope a solution can be found for this soon.

Hmm, I find the best video is this one:
[BUG LOGGED] Shimmering/AA downgrade since SU5 (in-game, not menus/overlays) - Bug Reports / Install, Performance & Graphics - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

2 Likes

I could easily make a good video, but it would be a complete waste of time. I feel like we are talking to a brick wall on this issue.

1 Like