Shimmering/AA downgrade since SU5 (in-game, not menus/overlays)

I can only agree. Whats the point of trying to make sim more realistic with flight dynamics etc, when it clearly does not look like in real life cause of this shimmer and flicker.

There might be some diagnose where you get shimmering sight IRL, what do I know - but this needs to be fixed ASAP! Also…the light from outside in the cockpit and cabin is way off (compared to the light from outside).

3 Likes

Told in other posts, but try DLSS-DLAA (the “odd” option among the quailty DLSS settings) Seem to do a decent job making shimmer dissappera. In 1440P i can only see shimmer on some roofs, and whats behind the propeller by some weird cause. But it does not give the fps-favour of DLSS since its not there to scale in that way; its more using its smart brain to calculate what looks best.

This combination does work to mostly eliminate any shimmering for me. It looks very good overall apart form the slight AA artifacts seen through the prop.
The downside for me is it pushes my Ryzen 3700x/2070 Super system to it’s limits so I’m running at full tilt on the CPU & GPU’s capabilities, In some of the more taxing situations the fps will drop below 30 for me.

If you have enough grunt in your PC I thinks it’s currently the best option.

1 Like

My grunt is RTX 3060Ti (+140 core +800 Mem) and Stock AMD 5600X (PBO is a joke from heat issues from what Ive understood, therefore Ive left it untouched).

Not sure if my system is … grunting more than yours :wink: But…well. You tell me. =)

Just read this: Some update regarding flickering…

https://www.flightsimulator.blog/2023/03/25/best-graphics-settings-guide/

Ive set “70” as sharpening with DLSS-DLAA in 2560x1440p. Is that too high. I do see some aritfacts, like AA working, but then settle. Like if you move around in cockpit, or rotate around the aircraft with the external camera. When you stop, then it takes some millisecond to smooth out, Are you with me what Im talking about? =)

Well I’d guess you have a better system than me.
As for PBO I’m using that on my ASUS B450 Plus motherboard and I have no problems with excessive heat, it’s also very stable. I’m guessing the BIOS version, quality of the components and the cooling system will have a lot of influence on how reliable overclocking via PBO is.
My CPU is boosting to about 4400Ghz and I’m running 32GB of 3600MHz RAM. Slight overclock on the 2070 GPU via the auto performance tuning in Geforce experience app which basically pushes the GPU memory up from 7000MHz to 7200.

Ive got the B450-F mobo, and Im not very used to play around in Bios. But from what ive read, that if you are on air-cooled system, the PBO will only boost if under a certain degree of heat. I have not played around with PBO at all, or just for a short wile. Ive got a BeQuiet Pure Rock (1) cooler and some additional fans. Might be enought to keep cold, you think. If you want, please get back to me in a PM and tell me how to try this out the correct way. =)

Will it do much in FS going from 16 to 32Gb of ram? I guess my 8Gb of VRAM is the big issue in DX12?

Im overclocking manually via Afterburner, since I feel most comfortable with that. Also, ive read that G.Experience could (?) alter the performance. Therefore I have sacrificed it, and the possibilities to change the colour in the game, just because of that. I actually think there might (?) be a difference. but I i really dont like the yellow tint to the games ,colours, so I might reinstall it. The issue might be fixed.

I just came back to the game after having taken months and months off probably half a year and the game feels noticeably worse the biggest issue being that tree Shimmer that as others have said looks different in each eye in VR often giving me a headache from eye strain as well as the game having a lot more micro stutter even when cheap us plenty of Headroom which was never an issue before it used to run very smooth where now it has so much micro stutter even in just the way the plane itself moves feels stuttery

Have you tried DLSS + upscaling? That helps the shimmer quite a bit

AMD card. I use FSR which helped clarity a ton, but the tree issue is just because whatever effect they do to the trees renders them differently in each eye, I don’t have any sharpness shimmering.

Well i have this issue too with quest 3 im on ultra (or low) and cloud have pixel texture, trees shimmering on dlss (or without) i dont know what to do, if it’s me or flight simulator. Need a hotfix for this… Im Desperate.

1 Like

What resolution are you running? I assume you are using openXR Toolkit?

2560x1440 on my monitor and i disable openxr toolkit

I meant what resolution in VR? And what do you mean you disable Toolkit? It’s an add-on. Why do you even have it installed if you keep it disabled?

2496x2592 on openxr i disable it because i dont know how to use it and on occulus im 3616x1936 72htz

I’m stupid I thought it was plug and play, I find myself a VR engineer I’ve had a computer for 3 weeks and a VR for 2 weeks.

If you have a good GPU (4070+), I would recommend upscaling the resolution in OXRTK to 4420xWhatever or more, depending how many FPS you then get (or want). It will override whatever oculus is doing. That will definitely reduce shimmer. And have DLSS on quality setting. Try to find a balance between fidelity and fps. If you can’t hit 72fps, you should switch to 90hz mode and lock fps at 45, that will get you the smoothest experience.

Unfortunately neither PCVR nor MSFS is plug and play if you want to get the most out of it :sweat_smile:
The combination can keep you busy for a while until you’re happy.

I have found a render scale 50% IS THE solution with openxr Windows Mixed Reality OMG I would like to thank you for the time you gave me, I almost gave up. A really big thank you! I want to cry, it’s so beautiful xD I will now refine my settings quietly.