Shock Ultra: No way to tune squawk code

Maybe I am doing something wrong or is the Shock Ultra missing a transponder? Yet, ATC always asks to set a squawk code. Of course I can select that button in the ATC overlay but I’d rather operate the cockpit controls. I am not a pilot and have no real clue about what the Shock Ultra provides in real live (or doesn’t) but this looks weird to me. So I filed an issue about it.

Maybe someone can shed some light on the matter? TIA.

I’m flying it now and all I see is comms.

I don’t think it has a transponder? There’s no indication of one on the panel.

Or maybe I cannot find it. But if not the case, I think it should have one, right?
We can trick it using ATC confirming squawk, but that is not the good way.

I don’t see one in there, no. Looks like the version modeled simply doesn’t have one?

This means you couldn’t legally fly it in class B or C airspace or within 30 nautical miles of a class B airport (the “mode C veil”) in the United States (which requires mode C and ADS-B out transponders).

https://ecfr.federalregister.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-F/part-91/subpart-C/section-91.215

I don’t know what restrictions apply in other countries.

(Note it’s a bush plane, designed for VFR flight out in the country. It’s not equipped for IFR flight at all, so you also can’t fly in class A airspace.)

Yep LSA aircraft.

Transponder requirements. Here for Germany (I believe this is EU wide similar)

Transponder Settings

For the following VFR flights, aircraft shall be equipped with a Mode S transponder:

• flights in airspace “C” oder “D” (non-control zone)
  • flights in transponder mandatory zones (TMZ)
  • flights at night in controlled airspace
  • flights above 5000 ft MSL or 3500 ft AGL (whichever is higher)

Transponder Code for VFR flights: A/C 7000

Strangely though, when you request “Flight Following” from the in-game ATC (I know :-)), you’ll be assigned a squawk code. You can not set it in the cockpit for the simple lack of a transponder. You can use the ATC menu to accept the code though and the controller will be happy. This seems to be a shortcoming of the in-game ATC.

I would not count on in game ATC to follow any logic or official regulations. Just too many bugs and a complex topic with often national differences.

1 Like

Wheels up / freq. change / i acknowledge and don’t change freq.
nice and quite flying / airport in range, choose list ‘nearby’ airports / contact Tower / request full stop landing

that’s it, no dumb ATC

1 Like

Also the ATC has the habit to disturb you just when maneuvering or setting navigation instruments, and if not confirming at moment, it begins “confirm confirm confirm…”. Leave me alone! Or at least contact me before or after, not just while I have hands occupied.

1 Like