Should Asobo release quarterly updates instead of monthly?

I ask because a few people here are now worried that Asobo are being pushed into releasing monthly updates before they are really ready, hence the hotfix situation which is not ideal because the hotfixes don’t fix everything.
I’d like to add a Vote button to this topic, but I can’t find that option.

1 Like

I think they should be daily.

17 Likes

Nope ! they should keep it the same. Remember, in the IT field, if you give the programmers an additional month or two to accomplish a set of given tasks, It WILL TAKE a month or two to get the job done.

6 Likes

they cant cause of MS pressure. But ideal they dont bring any Update 3-4 Month, they keep developing and do quality control right- then push updates When they ready and hotfixes asap-

They should release them whenever they are ready to be released. If you’re a programmer you don’t know when the lightbulb moment will happen.

2 Likes

Exactly, they should release updates when they are ready and stable, rather than following a rigid roadmap.

2 Likes

The frequency is almost irrelevant. The quality is pertinent…

Let’s have properly tested updates.

3 Likes

Keep it the same… IN reality, a programming group slows to a crawl if not given a fixed set of tasks and a deadline… Yes, I know. There will always be “Exceptions” but they are exceptions.

I have a feeling at some point the frequency of updates will slow way down.

I agree with you. I just hope that , by that time, all the things in the core program that was intended to function, will work correctly without any 3rd party addons.

Eeeh … they started with monthly and changed to every 2 months right ??

Now quarterly??? Yeah great … if they mess up something we need to wait 3 months ?

And even then … they have 2 separate teams anyway (WU / SU) and currently both teams can bugfix 2 months !

I like the way FBW updates their a320…everyday they have few small updates. So, if a issue happens, it is fixed fast. On the other hand, small updates will not cause the “impact” of a huge update.
I prefer “slow but ahead” than “fast and two steps back”

It completely depends. I’ve found where developers themself give a timeline, are more productive then when restricted with a deadline.

The trick is finding a balance and not have overconfidence take over.

You would even be able to release weekly depending on what and how development work is to be released with proper coordination.

Yeah, probably in relation to sim maturity.

I say we shouldn’t interfere in their work. Let them push updates whenever they’re ready, not whenever we want them to. That can be quarterly, monthly, doesn’t matter. But they should be the ones to decide when to push updates, not us. Because if it is us, then it’ll be a similar story to Cyberpunk.

2 Likes

No, I don’t think any fixed timeframe is needed. What is needed, is that they test the changes extensively before releasing a build.

I agree with you. Maybe in five years they will open their codes to third part developers fix small bugs and put this things to download, while they start to work at “MSFS30”

Probably when they’ve covered all the world updates. However, they’ll never stop updating the game because we really are for the long-haul here. It’s not like Forza or COD where games are updates until the next game comes out. They have a development plan until at least 2023, I’m sure we won’t see a new flight sim until the next decade.

1 Like

Always seems to be unhappy people no matter what the developer does. Asobo/MS should set their program and stick to it while keeping us informed as best they can. AND we should be patient and avoid worthless postings.

3 Likes

Fully agree, but forza is done selling because licenses are not extended. Gears just had it’s second to last content drop without a new version. With big AAA it seems like the tendency is about 2 to 3 years these days? Not talking about maintenance though :wink:

I also think we are here for the long haul maybe 5 to 10 years?

It’s already bad enough we have to wait 4+ weeks to see horrible bug fixes - assuming they fix the new bugs introduced with the last patch. If I had to wait 3 months instead, I would probably have uninstalled MSFS by now.

In case you weren’t around back then, updates were happening with a bi-weekly cycle after launch and did so up until December 2020 when they switched up to a monthly release cycle specifically to have better quality product. Guess what? It did absolutely nothing to improve quality of the patches. We just got more bugs with each patch instead. And then had to wait 30 days instead of 14 in order to hopefully see a fix. In many cases, those bugs weren’t fixed and all we got was a bunch of new ones instead.

No thank you.

9 Likes