Should I be using DX12 and DLSS?

Currently my system is i9-10900K, RTX3090, 64Gb, WIN 10, SU10. I am very happy with my current settings: ultra wide monitor at 5120x1440 full-screen (no VR for me), old NVIDIA driver 512.77, tLOD and oLOD both at 150, DX11 /TAA, and pretty much everything else on Ultra. I never look at my fps, just use my own eyes and subjective experience. I’m really happy right now with the fluidity/smoothness and have been since last May. My mantra for computers has always been…“if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. However, I wonder if I could be doing even better (ie higher LODs) if I switched to the newest NVIDIA driver and used DX12 with DLSS or whatever might be better for my specific setup. (I also use SPAD.next with ALOT of Saitek addons (12 FIPs, 3 panels) Andres simshaker, live ATC, FSRealistic, etc,etc) Thank you for your thoughts, advice.

1 Like

To be honest, there’s only one person who can answer your question, and that is YOU. Why not simply test it out for yourself. Every PC is different and what may work for some, may not work for you.

Just try DX12, etc for yourself.

1 Like

That’s true. But it seems like with programs as finicky as this one, even seemingly simple test changes like this are never quite fully reversible. So I do have some reluctance in even trying this out as u suggest.

I have a 3080 and I preferred DX12 with TAA over DLSS. I was getting 60 or more FPS in most flight environments with most settings pushing or at Ultra. However, when I upgraded to 3 - 4k TVs, DLSS became mandatory. But as PumpaCat said it’s up to you to try it out. If you’re happy with your setup and frames, then there is probably no need to go with DLSS.

It really is just a click of 2 menu items. A restart of the game if you awitch to DX12.

I do not use dlss as it creates a horrible blurry area on glass cockpits for me. DX12 is stable for me

2 Likes

The simple answer is “yes”

1 Like

Strangely enough I do actually understand your reluctance to try this out even though it clearly appears to be a no brainer, as others have indicated above, to at least give it a go. A few button presses maybe, a change of driver and a PC reboot. Not difficult by any means, I know.

And yet I’m in a similar situation to you getting fantastic fps (50 plus) and great fluidity with literally a bucket load of addons (P2ATC, FSLTL, A&O, Simshaker, FS Crew, FS Realistic etc etc) with DX 11 and a ‘not bang up to date’ nvidia driver. I literally have a 4 to 5 year old PC system and it is performing way, way above it’s specs atm and tbh I am now a bit reluctant to tinker too much like you. In contrast with Xplane 11 I spent about 65% of my time over about 4 years there hacking config. files/settings etc in the hope of eeking out just a little bit more performance and with a little bit of success too.

As you say, FS20 can be a pretty finicky beast at the best of times and when it’s working well (for me incredibly well in fact!) there is a massive temptation not to mess around too much. My own nature is to try new things out and be open minded. But do you know what? For now I’m going to be incredibly boring, concentrate on flying and then probably try DX12 when SU11 has been finally released.

Good luck with your own decision :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

so, why not stay with this strategy ? :slight_smile: … enable dx12 and/or DLSS and see whats happen…

DX12 helps some users to get better performance, for some others it is worst ( seems depend on hardware ).
And DLSS is for some users fine and others notice the loss in image quality and jump back to TAA. ( your resolution is lower than 4k, so your 3090 should not have a problem in general , but DLSS can increase fps if the quality is fine for you and the cpu can deliver ).

1 Like

Thank you for all of your replies. I think I’ll just stick with my current setup and wait for something to break on its own (as it almost assuredly will) at some point. I could just see myself “clicking one simple button” and then be forced to re-install the whole bloody sim as seems to happen to slot of folks around here. Cheers!

Give it a try and do testing, just keep in mind that having it on ultra-high or high does not make any difference. Also you have the tech to able to do DX12 and DX11 with that amount of Vram

no :slight_smile: … DX12 and DLSS settings can you easy set / change and if really “a worst case scenario” will happen, then it can be reset manually within the UserCfg.opt. But as @Empire9943 mentioned, you may try, also because your hardware is in the group where users reported a performance plus with dx12 ( if you notice an issue, just go back to dx11 ).

I have a 3090 and am using DX12 and DLSS, both work wonders. I haven’t felt the need to go back to DX11 or TAA since enabling. Especially now I’m using FSLTL and adding loads of traffic into the mix. DX12 is a must for using more of the VRAM on your card, and is very smooth panning views while taxiing in airports (unlike DX11). DLSS is just a bonus to me for freeing up some GPU load. Only minor issues observed for me like the hundreds of feet gauge on the 737 going blurry when changing altitude which doesn’t bother me.
I also lock my system on 30FPS VSYNC 50%, 4k output. Generally a smooth experience all round though.

I do not use DLSS as it creates a blurry area on glass cockpits. In Fenix A320 it’s not possible to read altimeter and speed during climb because they are really blurry. DX12 is ok for me.

Would I first need to upgrade my NVIDIA driver from 512.77 to the latest one in order to be able to even test DX12 +/- DLSS to see if there are any benefits? Or can I try it with 512.77 installed?

I don’t think this is a valid point.
Changes within FS2020 (Options, etc.) are not harmful to your PC or FS2020.
And, you can change back if you don’t like it.

Some users get into making changes to their PC , BIOS and Windows,
and get into changing things they really do not have the Technical knowledge to be doing. (Even while following posts in this forum.)

1 Like

I read that it was impossible to activate DLSS on graphics cards with a turing architecture, is this true? besides I don’t have DLSS in my FS settings only FXAA TAA DLAA

GTX cards do not have DLSS capability.

and in cases where users former done some system tweaks manually…

I use dx12 and dlss it’s just so much smoother but i also use the toolkit to sharpen a tiny bit. very good fps in fenix in all weathers. Very little fps drop

My card is RTX 2080TI not GTX