Should I get a 3080Ti or 3090 for flying in VR (now G2)

I’ve just flown my first few hours with the 3090. I must say it is a big improvement over the 6900XT in VR (in pancake mode a 6900XT more than enough). Much more stable, less stutter and less artifacts. FPS is much higher too. I’m afraid the 3090 stays…

That’s good news and I’m glad you’re happy. That’s what’s most important.

Before yesterday I would have agreed as I have thought about a 3090 also. But after SU5 update none of that is true for me any more. I think they focussed on improving AMD graphics seeing as how the xbox uses AMD. I have great improvements now. CTD’s are gone. Microstutters are gone. I was also able to bump all my settings really high. I’m running with 100% in openxr and 90% render scale. I don’t think it can get much better after this update.

Good to hear it has improved so much for you too. Indeed CTD’s are gone (by and large) and so many improvements…

I wonder what your system specs are. Mine are: AMD 5800X, B550, 32Gb 3600 CL16, Reverb G2 and now the 3090 FE. No OC just XMP profile turned on.

With the AMD card I had a custom profile (I very much prefer the UI of the AMD drivers) with Chill on (min/max both on 30FPS), a slight undervolt, fan profile and min freq. to get it running stable. I tried different drivers but settled on 21.3.1. I tried everything in the forums and nothing seemed to really solve the CTD’s (some just for a few days). With the latest update I’m able to complete flights (also with the AMD card). So that’s great and the performance improvement is significant too.

My specs: 3600x, x570, 32 GB 3200 CL 16, Reverb G2, 6900xt FE.

With all the crashing I was running everything stock for this game just to be sure that wasn’t part of the problem. But for every other game and for this game now, I overclock everything. I see a difference of around a 15% improvement (5-6 fps in this game) with my overclocks. So 33 fps at stock becomes 39 fps overclocked. I’ve reimplemented all myOC’s for MSFS. For example, here’s my graphics settings. I disable all the AMD stuff like Chill and Sharpening.

1 Like

I’d definitely undervolt the FE, there are some nice guides on youtube about how to use the right curve if you need. It will help the boosting behaviour of the card.

My specs are 5950X PBO2 tuned for each core, X570, 32GB 3600 CL16 OC’d to 3800 CL16, Reverb G2, 3090 FE undervolted.

Since SU5 with hotfix I’m getting buttery smooth 4K ultra slider openxr 100 repro off render 120 in NYC, I don’t care about framerates now as this is unbelievable performance.

I’d recommend looking into the curve optimiser for your 5800X, you might be quite surprised how much you can squeeze out of it depending on how good your mobo VRM is, the best video I have found on the topic!

1 Like

Interestingly, I just did some benching (pre-recorded flight, CapFrameX) comparing different CPU/MEM settings at the same GPU setting. Changing from CPU 16x5300, MEM 3800-15-15-32 w/ tight subs to 16x4800, MEM 3800-20-20-42 w/ loose subs basically did not have any effect on FPS and frame times that is outside margin of error. Any O/C or U/C of my 3090, on the other hand, will easily give +/-2…4 FPS.

As for the OP’s question: yes, I found that the 3090 is a significant improvement over the 3080.

RTX 3090
32GB
100Mbit/s
HP G2 with WMR+OXR

1 Like

Undervolted OC is mandatory for RTX30xx.

msfs still uses low core count. I did some comparisions and have my 11900k now running with 4 active cores HT off for msfs. AB will hit maximal and I see no difference to 6c/5,1 allcore or 8c/4,9 allcore. HT is allways off.

I was delighted with my 3090 until Sim Update 5, it was often utilising 16gb VRAM and it was an excellent experience.

However since the update, the sim seems to aggressively target just 6gb VRAM, I presume by the culling of objects when you are not looking at them. The objects then look really disturbing, particularly in VR, when they reappear a second or two after turning your head towards them. Try yourself to utilise more than 6gb of RAM or VRAM, by looking at the memory budget section of the FPS window.

In short, right now I am feeling pretty sick about my purchase of a high end PC with 3090 vs a lower end card :frowning: I really hope this can be fixed soon.

4 Likes

Get neither and save your cash, VR is now terrible after SU5, almost impossible to fly.
I’m serious, I’m sending my HP reverb G2 back, it’s so disappointing.
I5 10th gen, RTX3070, 32GB RAM.
Genuinely really disappointed with the sim now…

The Xbox X has 6GB of VRAM. I’ll leave you to draw your own conclusions on that one.

2 Likes

I’m running an MSI 3080TI with an intel 11900k with 64gb. Runs absolutely fantastic. Granted this 3080ti has an MSRP of $1769 which is more than what some of the 3090’s cost. I find that to be ridiculous and would certainly have rather had a 3090 at this $ level but I was real lucky to get one at MSRP and the setup is fantastic.

2 Likes

I feel your pain. I have seen 3090 FE’s on eBay for as little as £1699.

I just checked now, and it looks like the great panic is setting in as the prices seem to have dropped for most now, and are at just over £1700, with a handful below.

I hope they are stuck with those for a very long time, or at least until the 4000 series is released, and their value drops through the floor.

confirm i’ve had 18/24Gb from 3090 at similar settings (prior to SU5) using G2 and OXR

Agree. The SU5 has definately throttled the performance. No point in trying to run with Ultra settings as they do not do anything. Is there a fix in the wind? Who knows? Probably not enough money in it to satisfy a few VR players.

I just posted some images from over London at hand edited LOD5. The memory usages is still very low, though frankly performance is still stellar. Admittedly not VR, but I just wanted to illustrate that I agree that even with hand editing the LOD values above what we had in SU4 I still see lower utilisation of resources.

I think I can answer op accurately…
I’ve just gone from a zotac 3090 to a 3080ti FE. I’ve gained a few fps because the 3090, despite my best efforts, could not be clocked whereas the ti could be. I gained nearly 1000 gpu score in timespy benchmark (the 3090 scored nearly 19000, the clocked ti scored 19855).

Even both at stock speeds the ti was slightly faster than the 3090. In playing the game itself, i’ve noticed no difference between the 2 gpu’s.

1 Like

Thanks for all the insights and answers. I’ve purchased a 3090 FE at MSRP. The primary reason was that the 3090 still was available (at the Nvidia drop in Germany) and the 3080Ti wasn’t. The 3080Ti is about as fast as the 3090 (and if you get a good AIB card maybe faster than the 3090FE). My main worry was the amount of VRAM. Which I still think is limited for such a card (Nvidia probably wanted to differentiate the two and didn’t want to cannibalize 3090 sales). Now with the memory optimization Asobo has been working on for the XBox memory is (at present) no concern. So the 3080Ti could’ve done the job just as well. But still I’m happy I was able to get one at all. Basically with all the swapping of GPU’s over the last months (just grabbing what I could get my hands on) it wasn’t such an expensive upgrade from the 6900XT which I sold at a reasonable price to another gamer.

1 Like

3090 definitely the better buy, not just for the extra VRAM but the 3080TI’s aren’t as good for mining, they have had their hash rate nerfed. I don’t mine, but assuming bitcoin mining will remain a thing for the next two or three years a 3090 should have higher resell value.

1 Like

I am also considering buying an RTX3080 ti. I have had a GTX 1080 so far and have made the experience again and again and often read that FS2020 runs very difficult on overclocked systems. So far it has repeatedly caused CTD’s in me and others, so in the end I left it to overclock a bit. Now the question arises, what role does the boost clock play with the newer cards? Is this boost clock, which actually represents a factory overclocking, used at all in the FS2020 or does it cause problems like overclocking my GTX. I would be interested in whether it is worth spending more money to have a higher boost clock or if the normal GPU frequency is sufficient because the boost is not used anyway.

Greetings Harry

I haven’t looked at the frequencies my cards were running at, but none of the cards I used were ‘overclocked’ by me. I had a lot of CTD’s before SU5. That was running with a 6900XT and before that a 3070. With the 6900XT I did set a minimum freq. and used Radeon Chill (max/min fps setting) to stabilize the situation somewhat (not sure it even helped because it would CTD on me just about every flight). So my conclusion is that it is mainly a software thing. For me most of the problems have been solved with SU5. Even with the 6900XT, but I would still say that the Nvidia card is running more stable (less wobbly in the menu and no artifacts in the screen). There are still some problems though, it CTD’s from the menu when I plug in my G2. It doesn’t when it’s already plugged in. In fact the sim ran very stable at the start (about a year ago) with my good old 970 :slight_smile: of course at low settings and not in VR…

Some serious 3090 elitist fanboi’ism going on here OP - don’t listen to any of it. The VRAM argument is unfounded - think that Asobo and Ms would design a sim that ‘needs’ 24gb VRAM? Nothing does.

A 3080ti is more than enough, even a 3080. I was on a 1080ti before and a 3080ti now, full quest 2 res, 100 on everything and i tell you what, no dramas at all.

3 Likes