Should I get a 3080Ti or 3090 for flying in VR (now G2)

I’ve now got two 3090 systems and a 3080 system sitting here with me (work paid for the 3090 machines)

From what I’ve seen so far, folks would have to be mad to spend money on anything more than a 3080 for msfs in it’s current state. It’s a 2.5 fps difference on an average 40fps. (and Alyx, PC2, ED, squadrons). Here in Aus it’s more than $1000 difference

However, for work purposes, the point cloud / textureing jobs etc. are making use of the additional vram on the 3090

2 Likes

i recently went for a 3080 TI. Don’t waste you money on a 3090, not worth it at this point:

• game in VR is not optimized enough
  • VRAM never goes above 8gb after SU5
  • 3090 is at crazy price right now and its value will plummet end of 2022 when the new generation comes out ( 2 times faster according to rumors)

My advice would be to go for a 3080 right now

4 Likes

I think it’s about whether you have any cash constraint and how much future-proofing matters to you.

I run the ASUS TUF OC 3080Ti with a Ryzen7 5800X, running at 4.8GHz and, after the customary time spent tweaking, trying and re-tweaking, I am getting great results through my Reverb Gen1

At the settings I am using, which are pretty high (especially for LOD, etc), the GPU is usually running around 75% overall load with VRAM usage at around 8.5Gb

So yes - I would say that presently, a 3080Ti will do fine.

However, I have never yet seen an IT strategy that develops to give ‘the same features and performance with lower and lower specs of hardware.’ My guess is that MSFS will develop to give better visual performance with the same hardware, or equal performance with higher res VR offerings at the same hardware. And my guess is that a (yet to be produced) wide view, super high resolution, high refresh rate VR headset is going to need all the VRAM it can get.

So, if you can afford it, then the 3090 might give that little bit extra longetivity.

1 Like

I ended up buying the 3090 for one reason and one reason only. It was the only one I could get at a reasonable price (MSRP - which is still way too much for a 3090, but cheaper than a 3080 for about the same price). The 3080’s were just not there - they are probably the best bang for the buck. The same was true for the 3080Ti. I just couldn’t get one. I ended up with a FE version at the Nvidia drop in Europe (it is a frantic situation where you have to buy seconds after receiving an inventory notice). I have yet to receive the EVGA link to buy one there and have been on the list since the start of the year.

So I would just say to anyone - just get the one you can get (for a reasonable price)…

3 Likes

I got a 3090 as I was going to be ripped off no matter what I could get, so I might as well aim high. I’ve seen some 3080’s going for more than I got my 3090.

If you are going to get scalped, you might as well go for the full Brazilian while you are at it.

7 Likes

yeah, sadly that sums it up perfectly, ever since about Feb 2021 in aus

1 Like

It is worth considering what up and coming VR headsets may be around the corner. The new Varjo specs have just been announced and while it looks a bit beyond my needs something like my current Reveb G1 with a little wider field of view would be well worth an upgrade.

I jumped ship and bought a 6900xtxh card because I have a water cooled system. This thing is blazingly fast. At $1800 it is the best deal going right now. There’s was a bit of a learning curve with the Radeon software but it pairs nicely with the 5800x CPU. No issues driving a Samsung O+ HMD with everything on high or ultra settings.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.