Should you get MSFS on Xbox?

I waited months and months for a series X at retail price exclusively for this. First (and only) game I downloaded was the premium deluxe edition, and I paired my setup with a Thrustmaster yoke and quadrant Boeing pack and couldn’t be happier.
It wasn’t until I got on this forum that I realized the PC version seems more superior than the XBOX, but the XBOX provides everything I need to keep myself entertained for hours with no complaints.
I’m an airline pilot and this sim never fails to impress me.
Now to only find these darn Thrustmaster TPR pedals!

3 Likes

I bought the Xbox for the EA sports games tbh. The fact msfs was being released on console had nothing to do with my purchase. Now I’m finding l spend more time on fltsim than anything else! I didn’t even buy COD this year and I’ve never missed a year up to this point.

NHL 22 still rocks though!!! :grinning:

2 Likes

Yes NHL 22 is my second most played game, but on PS5…

1 Like

Nah you should buy this on PC if you want to get the most out of it. But I guess you should only get this on Xbox if you’re casually gonna fly with default aircraft enjoying the enviroment.
To me FS is nothing without payware aircraft or Flybywire.

1 Like

My buddy and I play EASHL club games all the time

1 Like

Thrustmaster has them in stock from their store.

I just ordered a set.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up Nixon!

1 Like

old guy here – 'member FS98. I spent hours trying to flying under the Golden Gate Bridge in SF. it was impossible because I didn’t know there was a bug in the software.
In any case after years of dealing with assorted issues with MS I left the whole OS system.
What many don’t understand in the MS world is many of us have no desire to return so the ‘you got to buy a PC’ is never going to fly. (no pun intended). When my son-in-law brought to my attention the MSFS 2020 was coming to the XBox system I got happy. I could not find a XBox X so I got a XBox S. For just under $2000 I have a system that more or less allows me to get back the joy I had years ago. Is it prefect - nope. I have ALL the faith in the world that MS and others will see all the $$$ in the XBox system to do their best to empty my wallet. It’s called capitalism.
Enclosed is a image of my system.
dw

21 Likes

In the beginning (thunder sound) Asobo said they wanted to get young people interested in aviation. I think they have done a good job with that. I’m on PC… but my kids have xBox . They play with the hand controllers. I call that flying by the seat of their pants anyway when the VR headset was purchased, they were playing the sim hours on end. So I gave it a try. Absolutely amazing and stunning fun! GA great. Even the stock 747 was fun! You can learn to flight plan , learn the FMC TO land navigate cruz and land. Oh and no crashes. They really like the Reno Air Races. It is refreshing to get away from shooting games. I asked them about all the negative about MSFS for xbox on the forums? The answer was… stay off the forums and that is the internet. lol My answer to the question is both PC and Xbox are good. I will add that complex aircraft are not easy to fly by any means. They are hard. Very hard. Oh yes that is my opinion… I would be surprised if there were lot who would disagree. A switch don’t work. But after the Q and A the very complex are coming,

3 Likes

Do you happen to know if they’re taking orders for backordered stock or do they have them available?
Curious because I was wanting to buy them off their eBay store where they don’t have them in stock, but they replied to my message saying on the TM site they may be taking orders for backordered stock.
Have you received a shipping confirmation?

Thanks!

Hmm… yesterday when I made the purchase, their web store said “In Stock” as it does right now.

I just looked at my order status and it is marked shipped and provides a tracking number.

Here’s a screen shot of the store right now:

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification! I’ll go ahead and order mine from the website then!
I was wanting to order if off eBay since returns are easier in case there is an issue with the product.
TM doesn’t have the best customer service since they don’t have phone support and are based in France.

yes I have both PC version for the ultimate mod-ability of it all. external apps mcdu running over home network on tablet etc. thousands of free addons liveries sceneries. the ability to tweak the sim for any situation and then the set and forget nature of the Xbox system. I enjoy both but use the x for more casual flying while the ultra complex mods like FlybyWire A320 on the pc teams well with my homecockpit building aspirations. there is something for everyone in the sim

I love the ease of use on Xbox. I built a PC around FSX and spent more time tweaking settings than flying. Now? I just turn it on and fly. Pretty much no crashes and fantastic performance and graphics. The abysmal airplane selection and lack of support for external modules is a bummer (I’d love to get location services output to my iPad with Foreflight). But I’m sure with time it’ll get better.

6 Likes

Well all I can say about the Xbox X version is, I just recently got the Xbox X version of MSFS and financed an Xbox X through the (Xbox All Access Program through Best Buy here in Canada). Its financed through RBC and its $43.24/mnth for 24mnths and you get Game Pass Ultimate for the two years too. $1037.00 total. (3) days, and it was at my door. So to digress, Its way better than the PC version (god knows I’ve been down that road (3) times). I have to say that I’m happy with it, but I can see it still needs work (the graphics engine). It’s still not overly better than the PC version, but better enough for me to finally enjoy it, trust me I’m fussy. I love the fact you don’t have to fuss with a lot of graphic settings. (A nightmare with the PC version), I could never get a happy balance even though I have a (Legion i7, 8 core, 16G DDR4 RAM, GTX 1660 SUPER vid card, 6G’s DDR6 VRAM). I’m running my Xbox version in my Xbox at 1080i because my TV is 16:9 resolution by default. It does 4k and HDR, but in the Xbox list of TV/Video details there are some red “X’s” and my TV doesn’t fully support all the checks and balances needed. My TV is Samsung, TU7000 crystal UHD 43". In fact I found the SIM runs better in 1080i than in the 4k configuration. I have HDR checked off in my TV’s settings and the TV goes into game mode automatically by default as soon as I swap sources to (my Xbox X) on my TV remote. Of course to save on lags and frame rate issues I fly “offline” and have a lot of other options turned off. I did notice you still get blur or lag and depth of field issues when you are passing closer to the ground. You wouldn’t think this would be with the Xbox version…?? I was a little disappointed in that. I dunno, only time will tell. I’m still trying to get a comfortable feel for it, I like it better than (as mentioned above), but it’s still missing a certain “je ne sais quoi”. I’ve been derogatory on this forum about how this SIM was a travesty on the part of Microsoft and Asobo, I won’t be that way again. My feelings are still somewhat the same but of a lesser degree. Goes without saying. For now I will enjoy the Xbox X version till I can’t stand it anymore and then sell everything off and be done with it if comes down to it. Shhhhh, (whispering voice) My AeroFly FS2 (plus all the addons), runs better than both versions of MSFS. FS4 is due out this year apparently. Shhhhhhh lol.

1 Like

Yeah I have to wait and sometimes miss out on some add-ons, but I think it’s an overall better experience for those who want to worry less about hardware optimization, driver updates, and all of the other silly little things that distract from actually flying.

2 Likes

Exacly the same! A lot of memories and now i m in love

Very happy with MSFS on my Xbox series X. Bar a couple of system crashes I have had a seamless experience. I too have lived with the race to keep the hardware up to date with the software versions, in my case on Apple with x-Plane. I have always been impressed with how much performance MS have managed to squeeze out of their XBox hardware. I have been primarily a FOS gamer but have now spent hours on MSFS. Yes it will never compete with a Desktop Gaming PC but for casual to mid level Flight Simming, it is excellent. Its a great entry route and if you really want to get hardcore, then PC is the way ahead.

1 Like

And you can buy XBOX gear that is compatible with PC.

I find I take flying a bit more seriously on PC.

But watching the world in 4K HDR in 3rd person can be all kinds of fun and social.

Yes, mods DO let you shape the PC version in ways the XBOX will never be able to match.

But, for $2,000 you can either get a PC and fly, or a XBOX Series X, yoke, throttle, pedals, and any other hardware (SSD) or 3rd Party add ons (currently available… sigh) you want.

The XBOX is a bargain. And you get the full sim experience. Bountiful 3rd party support will come with time.

Are mods and freeware worth an extra $1,500? To some, sure. But it isn’t the bargain the XBOX currently is.

3 Likes

Give it a few more months until you’ve bought some add-ons, a few planes and suddenly have to reboot on average 2x an hour. To say that the possibilities, graphics, framerates etc. are the same on xbox and pc simply isn’t true. Apart from looking like next gen compared to xbox series x, on a pc you don’t have to ever get bored with point to point pointless flying because of game mode add-ons that xbox will never have because on xbox the focus is on light bulb “enhanced” cities for 10$ a city and tons of airports. Occasionally you’ll get the opportunity to buy a plane of which 9 out of 10 are a complete joke. Msfs developed planes included. Next gen of course if you have the money to buy the necessary add-ons on PC but at least you have that option. Not to mention the option to really experience how amazing it could be through VR. Incompatibility of pc add-ons for xbox is a mystery to me (I know all about security and closed system of xbox) because you would think that’s something a giant like Microsoft would tackle to begin with before crossing over to xbox, as I have repeatedly been told by developers. The look of the basic msfs is mediocre at best compared to other games on series x. Unreal engine 5 will soon make msfs look like it was made for xbox 360 unless you are willing and able to spend a fortune on add-ons to correct and improve what should have been standard from the start. I’m not even going to get into the countless bugs, lag, broken items and functions, achievements, not being able to save securely (every ctd erases all flights completed that day prior to the ctd), sensitivity settings of hotas one for instance are not saved etc etc. that no one at the powers that be seems to care about. I was given a suggestion to have a smoother experience by deleting all add-ons I bought…really? To the question “then why do you sell them?” No reply. Should you try it? yes. Should you buy it? No.