Sightseeing wears off quickly, autogen is not really cutting it and becomes boring

I thought the same about the price, being on a bit of a limited budget myself, but the dev is very impressive at getting updates out and it does look quite impressive so far.
I know what you mean about No Man’s Sky (I bought it 5 years ago), and other open world games. I need a story or a goal (and I detest base building). In MSFS I’ve been setting myself challenges like simply learning to navigate VOR-style; flying properly in a Cessna 152 or Cub variant; or flying VFR from London to Darwin mimicking Amy Johnson (just complete); or how to use a plane with constant speed prop. I’ve not been overly impressed with the landing challenges, but I am now starting the bush trips.

3 Likes

I am exploring the world, it never gets old, because of Covid I will never get to go OS so I am seeing all the places people have talked about. Yeah I am sure real life is much better and you experience the culture. But I get some idea of where things are and I appreciate where I was born, when I see the crowding or poverty some countries have. Today I went to L.A. couldn’t find the Hollywood sign but boy was that place crowded!

6 Likes

This may be of interest: Archived copy of web page. I grabbed the kml from the site before it went offline, but the Internet Archive has the page (and the kml file) still.

3 Likes

@trgz, thanks for that. Could be quite useful for the UK. Now to find something like that for the whole world! Cheers.

1 Like

the idea of hand modeling the entire planet sound freaking crazy, instead you may demand that the MS Bing extend their scarce photogrammetry coverage as much as Google goes…

2 Likes

I both disagree & agree to a certain extent. I suggest you go upvote this & we’ll hopefully get something more to do down the line.

1 Like

Go to out skerries 78 northeast of where they play the bagpipe and wear kilts
Just set it on top of agenda. I the mean time select an airport somewhere on the planet and fly from there in a airliner or so towards the out skerries but if you find a place of liking practice landings and take offs, switch planes and get lost, because thats the best way of sightseeing.
I hope this will bring Joy for you in the sim, and who knows one day you might arrive in these Out Skerries, in what type off weather? I dont know, but let it surprise you.

Happy and many landings

2 Likes

I don’t suggest MS use Google services, I just say that MS should improve Bing as much as Google when it comes to photogrammetry and, in particular, satellite imagery quality…

4 Likes

I love exploring in the sim, especially in VR, but am suffering a lot with the SU5 building and tree pop in on head move which is spoiling it hugely. Hopefully this will be fixed on the next update.

I strongly agree to get Bijans tree mod, it adds a huge amount of variety to the whole planet, and additional variety by changing the seasons. It’s well worth it’s price for me as a mainly low level VFR flyer.

Also the free WeLoveVFR mod is great as it adds in many radio masts and obstacles which adds further variety

Thought I’d look around and found this: Forgotten airfields europe - still not the whole globe though, but there are a few links from that page including this: http://www.airfields-freeman.com/

1 Like

Personally, I like to find new VFR routes and refine my existing ones in the western US, primarily along the west coast (I-5 corridor and cities along and around it) and some more inland routes.

This includes a lot of good photogrammetry areas directly around major cities and metro areas (the greater Los Angeles area being the biggest), and lots of autogen scenery in between. In the photogrammetry areas, I love how realistic things look – correct colors and shades, and recognizable real-life buildings everywhere!

In the autogen areas, the buildings aren’t exciting but the natural scenery and ground textures are still quite nice (though over-saturated and with a strong green tint in many areas). Mountains, rivers, farms, deserts, lakes, volcanoes; sunrises, sunsets, clouds and rain. It’s all there.

This is an enormous amount of fun for me, and I gain familiarity with areas I’ve been through before, learning to recognize where I am and where I’m going and how to recognize points of interest and places where I need to adjust my course.

And I take a lot of screenshots and share them with my friends and family, just like I do when I’m a passenger on a real plane. :wink:

I’d love more photo-based building scenery in the smaller areas I fly to to give increased realism to the buildings and cities, but I’m having a ton of fun and it doesn’t really hurt my experience.

I also recently installed the “We Love VFR” region 2 (Americas) mod, which adds more radio towers, smoke stacks, and other obstacles listed on VFR charts that aren’t always in the autogen regions. This is a nice extra touch for low-and-slow flight in these areas.

7 Likes
3 Likes

You have planet earth at your fingertips.

1 Like

It’s a flight simulator. So priority one should be flying. That we can do this in an 1 to 1 scale world with full satalite images and autogenerated objects that match biomes and regions is only a bonus. I can understand that it get’s boring… But then maybe you should play something else instead. There’s more then plenty of variety. It’s like playing a racing sim and saying that it get’s boring doing the same races on the same tracks everytime. Wich is basically what they do in real life too.

Scenery can always be improved (they allready do this with the world updates) but as long as it’s a flight sim, and your only interested in sight seeing you might as well just play rdr2😁

3 Likes

And this is ofcourse completely unrealistic

6 Likes

Mmmm … I think this would soon bore you too.

You say that you are not interested in avionics. I’m guessing that you are also not interested in following flight procedures, study level planes or the like either.

However, you do seem interested in scenery. How about thinking of all the places you would like to visit and the scenes you would like to see and then making a flight plan to get there. If you can ‘get into’ eventually doing realistic flight plans there is a lot of fun to be had doing just that. Try doing a basic flight plan and progress from there. It really is quite easy and quite rewarding :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Try learning navigation…it’s amazing fun.

How about trying out GoogleEarthVR with a decent headset (resolution not less than Quest2). You can fly high over the whole planet and touch ground level with unparalled realism (street view) Its the VR app that I spent most time.
edit: sorry, post was adressed to OP

4 Likes

That’s okay. Not a problem.

Not a bad suggestion either :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

I would have agreed with you a year ago when all you had was photoscenery, that NEVER changed. Now that the scenery is dynamic, I am thoroughly enjoying flying at all flight levels.

1 Like