Sightseeing wears off quickly, autogen is not really cutting it and becomes boring

You have planet earth at your fingertips.

1 Like

Itā€™s a flight simulator. So priority one should be flying. That we can do this in an 1 to 1 scale world with full satalite images and autogenerated objects that match biomes and regions is only a bonus. I can understand that it getā€™s boringā€¦ But then maybe you should play something else instead. Thereā€™s more then plenty of variety. Itā€™s like playing a racing sim and saying that it getā€™s boring doing the same races on the same tracks everytime. Wich is basically what they do in real life too.

Scenery can always be improved (they allready do this with the world updates) but as long as itā€™s a flight sim, and your only interested in sight seeing you might as well just play rdr2šŸ˜

3 Likes

And this is ofcourse completely unrealistic

6 Likes

Mmmm ā€¦ I think this would soon bore you too.

You say that you are not interested in avionics. Iā€™m guessing that you are also not interested in following flight procedures, study level planes or the like either.

However, you do seem interested in scenery. How about thinking of all the places you would like to visit and the scenes you would like to see and then making a flight plan to get there. If you can ā€˜get intoā€™ eventually doing realistic flight plans there is a lot of fun to be had doing just that. Try doing a basic flight plan and progress from there. It really is quite easy and quite rewarding :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Try learning navigationā€¦itā€™s amazing fun.

How about trying out GoogleEarthVR with a decent headset (resolution not less than Quest2). You can fly high over the whole planet and touch ground level with unparalled realism (street view) Its the VR app that I spent most time.
edit: sorry, post was adressed to OP

4 Likes

Thatā€™s okay. Not a problem.

Not a bad suggestion either :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

I would have agreed with you a year ago when all you had was photoscenery, that NEVER changed. Now that the scenery is dynamic, I am thoroughly enjoying flying at all flight levels.

1 Like

This is actually an issue with mods in general and a concern of mine also.

At present it seems that the paid mod authors have mostly stuck it out and are updating their products whenever MS/Asobo breaks them.

But $20 or $30 is a fair amount of money to have flushed down the toilet if a Dev ever gives up and abandons a mod which an update then breaks.

Abandoned freeware is sad, but at least you didnā€™t pay for it.

2 Likes

I have to disagree, I am currently roaming around in the TBM930. I started off in Paderborn Germany and I am doing around two hops a day always starting from the last airport that I landed at. By now I am in Entebbe in Uganda. It is pure joy to look out the window and see all those different landscapes. Even so I have to admit that most of Sudan was a bit dull, but thatā€™s not the Sims fault. Looks the same when you fly over it in an airliner.

Also try to get into some more advanced aircraft. Only flying around in a 152/172 without getting involved in instruments, procedures and so on takes away a lot of the Sim experience.

1 Like

Literally the entire planet to fly over, boring.
:wink:

5 Likes

Yes, absolutely.

We need Mars and Pluto next I think. Building textures should be a piece of cake hopefully. Flight model should still be great though (couldnā€™t resist).

Might make a suggestion on the ORBX forum. I would prefer if possible though not to use my own log in name.

2 Likes

Cant because the ceiling of the sim is like 27.5 miles.

1 Like

The world tour is what Iā€™ve been doing too. Grab a GA aircraft and do about 100-150 miles per leg between airports at about 4,000-5,000 feet above the ground. So far Iā€™ve crossed the USA from Maine to Washington, then down the west coast and Iā€™m currently tooling about near central Mexico. I spent a few hours plotting my map and have my trip all set to wander through all of the continents.

Itā€™ll take a long time and if I donā€™t ever finish it, thatā€™s ok. But it has been packed to the gills with beautiful scenery and live weather has added some wonderful challenges along the way with skirting storms or having to pull up sectional charts and airport diagrams in cases where Iā€™ve had to divert to unplanned airports.

When Iā€™m not doing that, Iā€™m logging jobs in OnAir and it also provides some really cool opportunities to see new stuff.

3 Likes

I warned about this very thing over and over for over a decade.

What most are not understanding, is that the lack of interest in aviation as a whole in a flight simulator, will eventually lead to boredom no matter how beautiful/diverse/realistic the scenery is.

The problem is:

Currently in MSFS there is a lack of simulation of aviation and more of a sightseeing game. If that is what most people wanted, Bing Maps and Google Earth are available for free to sightsee with. Google earth VR is beyond excellent for sightseeing, there is no need for another sightseeing game/utility, especially one that calls itself a flight simulator. Yes flight simmers very much appreciate the VFR scene and the ability to sightsee in MSFS, but at the expense of basic aviation, no.

But its worse because homebased flight simulation has been way past ā€œadvanced aviationā€ for almost 20 years! MSFS attempts the flawed concept that MS Flight and DTG Flight Sim World tried (and failed) to do. Make everyone a new flyer, new to flight simulation, new to the concept of flight. Its not a problem having these concepts as PART of the program, but to force it on everyone, including long time flight simmers has been proven over and over to be a failed idea. In other words, the default C152 works well, but the default airliners need so much help that they are not worth trying. Way too much can be and has been said about this, but its falling on deaf ears.

This is problematic, but not because this is a big project and we just have to wait. We have the MSFS team releasing new aircraft at a price, before basic fundamental features are available in the initial default aircraft! Makes no sense to me. Then to make it worse, eye hospital awareness (???), and the time it took to develop/produce that while we wait for basic functionality, and the tons of bugs that need to be fixed. The boredom increases and frustration increases; both aviators and non-aviators are affected.

People interested in aviation are finding themselves making excuses for MSFS over and over. Others are fooling themselves when they say all is well with MSFSā€¦its not. My boredom prediction is surfacing just like it did with MS Flight and FSW. More is to come until MSFS finally becomes a flight sim, then the boredom will go away along with anyone not really interested in aviation.

11 Likes

Try a cross-country trip. Many of us who are light GA flyers performed xc hops ranging from as short as eleven to as many as thirty stops. Make it about 150 nm at the most for each leg. For extra challenge, turn on Live Weather and do not use a controlled airport as your destination. Try to follow an Interstate for example. Youā€™ll be surprised at the scenery accuracy and variation that is not Photogrammetry - I saw many natural and human-made features that Bing Maps + Autogen + Blackshark did a good job to render. Youā€™ll also rack up some IFR hours this way because of Live Weather.

1 Like

Not interested in airplanes, in flying, in cockpits, in procedures, in aircraft technology, in the good feeling of sitting inside an flying office, in physics and in avionics - well I found the perfect program for this task ā€œreduced to the maxā€ by being based on pure scenery:
https://www.google.com/maps

Because I donĀ“t think that a Flight Sim will ever become an interesting hobby ever.

2 Likes

Ehm, noā€¦I donā€™t agree at all, itā€™s every bit as spectacular as when it launched. Itā€™s with an enormous margin, the absolute best and most stunning VFR experience you can get, of any of the sims. But of course we all look for different things. Try any of the other sims if you want ā€˜boringā€™ terrain.:grinning:

1 Like

This is perhaps the most honest and realistic post I have ever read on here. I could not agree more.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve purchased the 4 Seasons Pack and Iā€™m very happy with it. It adds a very nice variety of trees specific to the regions in which they are found in the real world. The developer is constantly improving it and has been great with communication. I definitely recommend it, and Iā€™m generally very picky about scenery enhancements.

2 Likes