Sightseeing wears off quickly, autogen is not really cutting it and becomes boring

No sane developer can hand model even 1 US state much less the planet lol. I think the landscape tech is spectacular.

I agree the autogen esp in cities is poor, but that can be improved over time with just more variety.

2 Likes

Fair enough. Not much else to say then.

yes i agree, its nice to have a web browser open on another screen, for added info about places airports history and maps makes simple flying quite interesting

1 Like

As an old-hand simmer with 25 yrs in his logboek I am realy interested in what your definition of a real flight sim is? I have tried them all in the past and as far as I can tell MSFS is doing a great jobā€¦

9 Likes

One thing that is missing for the low slow flyers (I am one, too) but supposedly coming are the huge numbers of antenna masts, water tanks, chimneys, etc. that used to be in older versions of the sim but not this one yet. There is a freeware addon called ā€œWe Love VFRā€ by PuffinFlight on Flightsim.to that restores them in Europe, North America, and a few other places where OSM data makes it possible.

Mostly, though, Blackshark can only do so well creating actual building heights so in non-photogrammetry cities itā€™s mostly collections of polygons at same height. Without churches, spires, water towers, boats, cranes, and other locally unique buildings to add some diversity to the skylines, itā€™s only natural everywhere starts to look the same after a while. Hopefully the community scenery portal comes sooner than later so people can submit creations that will add diversity to smaller, less touristy locations too.

2 Likes

As a 35+ year simmer I know what to reasonably expect from a flight sim today.

My definition of a flight sim, specifically MSFS, is outlined in the MSFS Feature Presentations. My only definition/expectation is always going to be what is advertised.

MSFS does not come close to achieving the features outlined in the Feature Presentations. Until it does, it canā€™t be doing a good job at being what it claims. This is why this topic on the boredom exists. This is why the Steam Stats for MSFS are at 6000+/- and not 61000+/- like in the beginning.

If the journey lasts 10 years, it may be doing a good job then, but not yet.

Its all about standards, and the MSFS Feature Presentations set the standard, surely its ok to hold MSFS to that standard. Anybody interested in aviation would not be bored with MSFS if the MSFS Feature Presentation standards were achieved.

6 Likes

Even if your not a slow flyer all those things you use for landmarks to know where you are, oh theres the water tower over there I now know that over is RT 91, and that seems to be the part of the sim they didnt get right IMHO. Funny thing is alot of those place where there should be towers etc, the lights are there (at least here in Ohio) when it gets dark just thereā€™s nothing attached to them ROFL!!!

Feel kinda of er whats the word Im looking for oh LAZY!!! But for now Iā€™ll write it off to understaffed due to the pandemic. Weā€™ll see if they ever flesh out the world.

1 Like

@GamingCat2130, !!!???!!! Cheers.

1 Like

Oh, if you only knew the pleasure we get from it.

Too bad that you donā€™t.

4 Likes

Completely agree here. Practically infinite places to explore around the globe. Different weather brings new challenges and views. Always something to go do.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve noticed this after the first 7 months of this sim.
No matter how many different geographical locations its just different placements and arrangements of the same color buildings and terrain and after a while the trees just start to look like green blurry globs and everything really just starts to feel repetitive and dead.

3 Likes

Well, you can always try P3D or XP11 and see how that goes. :wink: :rofl:

4 Likes

Well yea thatā€™s what some of us have been enjoying along with MSFSšŸ™ƒ

2 Likes

meh ā€¦ I am still not bored with low slow scenic flights even after a year, it is flying the high altitude airways on autopilot or working through flows and pushing buttons I get bored with. I do keep trying the airliners but punching buttons is just not my thing. Might give the DC6 a go and see if that is any better.

That said, everyone is different. This is how I spend my evenings - boring for some, relaxing and enjoyable for me ā€¦

4 Likes

Awesome. Where do you buy that plane? Wish it had some navigation system

Bored with low and slow solo flying? Have you tried a multiplayer event? Not only are you exposed to parts of the world you may not think to go on your own, you get to meet up with a great bunch of people from all around the world. Check out the forum Events page for a calendar of upcoming fly-in events. Some are casual and relaxed, some are more challenging, and some use true-to-life procedures. Something for everyone.

Choose one and jump right in. I recommend it.

2 Likes

Switching on the Avionics replaces the old school radio with a gns430 based GPS and AP but I choose not to use it as navigating by hand from maps trimming and flying stick and rudder is half the fun.

It is there if you want it though. No idea how well the Nav and AP works with SU5 as I literally never use it, but there are a few SU5 issues they have promised to update, probably with the next world update at this stage, and some of those are likely nav related as most of the the various addon planes seem to be having nav issues with the new update.

This is the page for the C140.

Way too high, 2,000 ft at maximum. I flew around the world 1,5 times with the Caravan and I always fly at about 2,000 ft. Much more detail.

2 Likes

Donā€™t forget, what you read here are mostly opinions, not necessarily facts. Just to keep in mind.

So how exactly did it not come close to what is featured? So you are saying they are false advertising?

1 Like