Significant fps boost with this trick

Just did these tests:

• in a low density area, airport and flying
  • in a high density area (London), EGLC and flying over London

I do not experience any FPS, GPU%, CPU% change with or without menu icons present

I use the Xbox gaming bar console tool for monitoring
i7-8750H / 32GB / GTX1060m-6GB gaming ASUS laptop

No FPS increase for me either. Mainthread limited.

Parked up at EGLL, with all my normal menu items on, bouncing around 35. At spawn it was nearer 30, but crept up as things loaded in:

The only items I have turned off in the menu are “Checklist”, “Basic Controls”, and “Navlog”.

As far as I can see the only that gives an FPS boost is the VFR map. The others do next to nothing.

Everything off except VFR map:

Finally, VFR map turned off:

I did see it peak for a split second at 38fps. Average is about a 1.5fps boost by turning the VFR map off.

Well, you are GPU limited all the time, that’s why

Test it in flight, you will see a more significant improvement.

Thanks for this tip, getting rid of the ones I don’t use including the VRF map, gave me a little boost in FPS
every little bit helps !!

1 Like

Probably as you shift from CPU to GPU bound situations, or vice versa. I never have issues in the air, only busy sceneries where I am CPU bound in most cases. With a 1080, I am very rarely GPU bound, and when I am I have really good frame rates anyway. For me, a GPU upgrade at this time would be a waste of money. But that new 11th gen. 11900KF is looking really good!

1 Like

No improvements on my side, primarily testing in VR.

Tried that with a couple of GA airplanes on a GTX 1017 with Ryzen 7 5800X. No real change in FPS regardless of how many overlays are turned off.

Here it helped 
 thanks dude!!!

1 Like

No improvement in VR also, but flat screen gained a little.

Worked brilliantly for me. Went from 30fps to 48fps by turning off all the inflight hocus except for the ATC and nav map, both of which I need. If I want change weather or time or fuel etc I can still do it from the handlebars, just need to go in to settings and reenable them temporarily. But as a purist I accept the weather and fuel given me, and try to live dangerously.
(Ryzen 7 5800/RTX 3080/32gb ram/ MSI 550 mboard/ 2xM2 1TB SSD/ dual curved 32inch 4K monitors/ slowest cable internet in the developed world, Sydney Australia 54mps) and I also turned off Game Mode in Windows 10, and v-sync in MSFS2020. I did note that if I turned off the nav map, I got an additional 3-5 fps, but I need it too much to make it permanent.

1 Like

As I said, this is supposed to work in CPU limited scenarios.
VR and a Ryzen 5800X with a GTX 1070 are dramatically GPU limited scenarios.

You’ve mentioned this quite a few times in the thread. In the example above the user may still have available overhead depending on their settings. I have a 16 Core/32 Thread processor and this made absolutely no difference in VR. Again, this is one of those ‘things’ that sometimes works and sometimes, it doesn’t.

Real pilots know what is wrong? It is standard procedure to set your altimeter to 29.92 when flying above 18,000 feet so that all aircraft above that flight level are on the same pressure setting.

Also, he was slightly off
 29.92 in/Hg = 1013 mbar. (Not sure where you got hpa from.)

1 Like

In case you haven’t noticed; The USA isn’t the only country in the world.

FYI, hpa has replaced mbar many years ago.

1 Like

No change here.

Thanks for mentioning that. It makes sense for safety purpose.
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aip_html/part2_enr_section_1.7.html
3.3.2. At or above 18,000 feet MSL. All operators will set 29.92 “Hg. (standard setting) in the barometric altimeter.

And again, the USA isn’t the only country in the world, hence stating that all pilots are doing that is plain and simple wrong.

1 Like

(It isn’t on-topic for this thread, but the unstated thing in some of the replies above is that in countries other than the US, the transition altitude is not always 18,000 ft MSL, but often is a different value and may change from place to place within a country as well. MSFS doesn’t correctly simulate this in the AI air traffic control, and sends you directions that assume you are on STD pressure above 18,000 ft MSL regardless of your location. It’s possible that not everyone knows this fact, so I recommend being explicit about how someone is wrong when you tell them they’re wrong, otherwise they may not understand what you’re getting at.)

2 Likes