Significant fps boost with this trick

Haha, funny how some people are speculating on clearly defined things, and off-topic btw… :slight_smile:

Just bit of aviation theory regarding altimeter pressure settings for those with their own versions:

• ICAO standard (theoretical and normalized) atmosphere model define mean sea level pressure as 1013,25 hPa (we use this units in Europe), which is 29,92 mmHg (used in the US) - AKA STD altimeter setting.

• This 1013,25 / 29,92 (STD) altimeter setting is used above transition altitude, so aicrafts are flying using the same setting (their altimeter show the same values when flying the same vertical profile), that can ensure separations from other traffic. (Using FL for cruise is mandatory thing). This is mostly because high altitude flights are faster and there constant changing of QNH should be distracting and there is high probability that pilots forget it.

• Bellow transition level (lowest ppssible FL) the altimeter setting is QNH, which is real and actual local / regional pressure, recalculated as at the sea level. It ensures separation from ground / ground based obstacles. This value is varying during long low altitude flights / altimeter settings need to be adjusted from time to time…

• In different countries / locations, transition altitude / layer differs. This is caused mainly by terrain profile differences. For example in mountain areas here in Europe TA is typically higher. In the US, it’s simlified (as everything :D) and there is one common safe TA 18000 feet.

I’m also curious how many even IRL pilots are not so clearly familiar with this…

And now back to the original topic, please. :wink:

5 Likes

What software do you use to profile / measure fps like that? :o

https://www.capframex.com/ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for posting about this! Your post was the first I’d heard of CapFrameX.

Downloaded it and I’m really impressed with the features and functionality. VERY cool!!!

Can’t believe this tool has been out there and it isn’t more widely known. Amazing.

PZL104 is right, Transition Layer is different in different countries. For example in Poland it is FL80-6500ft.
Milibars are equal to hectopascals which are used currently in most countries.

Atmospheric air pressure is often given in millibars, where standard atmospheric pressure is defined as 1013.25 mbar, 101.325 kPa, 1.01325 bar, which is about 14.7 pounds per square inch. Despite the millibar not being an SI unit, meteorologists and weather reporters worldwide have long measured air pressure in millibars as the values are convenient. After the advent of SI units, some meteorologists began using hectopascals (symbol hPa) which are numerically equivalent to millibars; for the same reason, the hectopascal is now the standard unit used to express barometric pressures in aviation in most countries. For example, the weather office of Environment Canada uses kilopascals and hectopascals on their weather maps. In contrast, Americans are familiar with the use of the millibar in US reports of hurricanes and other cyclonic storms.

read your argument with the other guy, couldn’t resist:

hPA is the SI unit and mbar is more commonly used, so both is correct :wink:

Also transition altitude in Europe is typically 5000ft

For such a technical discussion, why are you using a COMMA in place of a DECIMAL ? It makes a big difference.

1 Like

Does this “trick” still work for people? I no longer see any difference in FPS when changing the toolbar buttons.

The VFR map still costs me about 20% fps in CPU limited conditions (airliners cockpit view).

In Germany it is 5000ft but it varies with some Airports however it’ll always be stated in the Airport Charts which Transition level is in use.

For example Ibiza (LEIB) has 6000ft standard but it also states that Transition level is set by ATC and since you have to get the ATIS anyway you’ll always hear the correct Transition level.
To be honest i like the American system more since it’s always 18000ft. It’s less prone to errors and there’s no confusion of what transition level is active but on the other hand you are heavily dependent on updated qnh.
In my opinion 8000-9000 would be the best value in Europe since above 10000ft there is no 250kt restriction which small planes cannot fly anyway and if they want to get up there they go to standard 1013.25

I can’t believe it, after everything I’ve tried in other posts, this trick works! I had terrible frame rates and stuttering, now with everything removed from the bar it’s smooth. Thank you for posting this!!

1 Like

Welcome!
Another thing that works is setting the glass cockpit refresh rate to low.

1 Like

brilliant ! Thankx

1 Like

Actually, fps goes up dramatically if you turn off only VFR map from the toolbar. I don’t think turning off other ones make difference.

1 Like

so, that’s why I created a post for Asobo to give us the option to remove the active pause from there as well…vote, vote

A meme that misquotes the line. Terrible. :slight_smile:

I’m getting an FPS boost from ~45 to ~60 in flight (altitudes above 8500ft over low density areas) just by pressing the escape key to bring me to the options menu, then pressing it again to get back in the flight. GPU usage jumps from about 70% to about 90% with no changes…just esc to menu, then esc back to flight, and BAM, 60 fps.
Anybody want to test that with that CapFrameX logging software and see if you can reproduce these results yourself? My current challenge has been to figure out why it’s doing this, and how to just make it work without having to do the “press, press” escape key trick.

Side note: I noticed my total latency gets stuck around 20ms with main and gpu latencies hovering around 13ms each. When I press escape twice to “unstick” my frame rate, the total latency drops to about 15 ms, which explains the fps increase. I wish I knew what is causing the total latency to stick around 20 ms until I open and close the menu screen.

10700k @ 5.1 all
3060ti
32 gb Trident ram, 3600
All applicable tweaks and tricks applied
1080p Ultra settings