Sim crash CTD when using xbox controller on PC

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

Yes, the issue persists with everything disabled and even when the sim is started up in safe mode

Brief description of the issue:

Playing on desktop PC. The sim crashes instantly to desktop when connecting my xbox controller, both wired or wireless. All my other periphrals work fine. The issue also occurs when the xbox controller is already connected to the PC. In this case when the sim is started, it loads to the main menu and instantly crashes.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Connecting an xbox controller when in the menu or during flight. Or starting the sim with the controller connected.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Ryzen 5700x, RTX3080, 32GB memory, peripherals (joystick, throttle, rudder pedals)

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Having the same issue here

I can confirm the same issue. Rediculous that a SONY PS4 Controller works and a M I C R O S O F T Xbox Controller causes a crash

Same problem here and has been occurring for about a month now. I have tried all that I can think of. I can only play in the cloud now as the problem occurs on my pc and my xbox. Any ideas?

FYI, I’ve been using a wired USB Xbox 360 controller with no issues. The Hardware ID is:
USB/VID_045e&PID_028E&REV_0110
Using the default Microsoft driver v10.0.22621.3085

I’m not sure if this is the same type of Xbox controller that you are using. Can you post the Hardware ID(s) & driver version(s) of your hardware so that I am not inadvertently comparing two different controller models? Thanks!

Partial Specs & settings:
Build: SU15B v1.37.8.0 (but the controller has been working fine on the released builds too)
3rd-Party Addons: None, Community Addons: None
i7-12700K (No overclocking), Arc 770 (16GB, v31.0.101.5333).
Developers Tab: Developer Mode - Off
MSFS Version: MS-Store, Standard, plus All WUs and most MS free aircraft.
Peripherals: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, Xbox 360 USB Controller

I am not an expert, I am sure there is a more drastic solution here https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftFlightSim/s/I9DcTfFysT …. However, too busy with work and I just want to relax flying when time permits.

Load MFS2020 with the controller off, go to options/control options/turn on the controller and when NEW DEVICE DETECTED pops up, press KEEP DEFAULT.

Repeat the same SXXT everytime you play, thank you Asobo :joy::joy::joy::joy:

Just try it with a powered USB hub.

Hi! Since the update (SU15), I have the same problem, when I have an Xbox One controller connected, the game crashes, is there any new solution?

Yep, same here!

Found a solution!
Thanks u/dremelgobrrr for the hint…

You need to reset your cloud profile.
To do that, you need to run the game while offline, so we can overwrite it with a local generated one.
To do that, you need to set your PC as the “offline-able” first in MS Store.

ALLOW LICENSED APPS TO EXECUTE WHILE OFFLINE
Copied from https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxGamePass/comments/10pkfkm/comment/j6pk21o/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3 :
First and foremost, Open the Microsoft store and click on your profile image.
Next up, you have to click on Settings and set your Offline Permissions to ON.
Now, you have to launch the game and …

…make sure you run MSFS without any controller attached!

Check its working

Close the game

RUN THE GAME OFFLINE

Now turn off the wifi / lan / whatever internet connection you have

Launch the game and check that is running fine offline
FYI it will take a while and game will complain it would be better if it was online
Game graphics are crap offline btw

Close the game

RESET YOUR CLOUD PROFILE

While Internet is still off

Open Explorer and go to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\SystemAppData\wgs
(The flight simulator path might be different so check %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\ in case)

Delete all the content

Connect your controller

Start the game
The game should tell you something about missing profile and you will go through the profile creation wizard, which should ask you to setup kbd + mouse + gamepad control profile

Fly something, see gamepad working and smile :slight_smile:

Close the game properly

Now connect to Internet and start the game
The game will complain that your local and cloud profiles are different
Choose your local profile

Game should work fine now with your controller

Close the game properly just to be sure and restart the game
See it still working

Ive been having this problem for a few months now. When i start the sim with the gamepad connected, the game starts and then crashes after a few seconds. When i start the game without the gamepad connected, the game doesnt crash. But as soon as i turn on the gamepad, the game crashes. Does anyone have this same problem?

Xbox Series S and Series X|S gamepad
Thrustmaster T flight hotas one
Logitech mouse and keyboard

Yes, it is the same here. I only noticed it recently, because I usally do not fly using a gamepad on PC. However I thought it would be nice to control the drone camera. I know I have used a gamepad in the past on PC. Now MSFS crashes when the controller is activated, when the sim is already running. It also crashes at startup, shortly after the cinematic trailer, when the cloud syncing usually happens, if the controller is already connected.

I tried it with two XBox Series XS controllers. I have not tried a PS5 controller yet.

I do not know if „reseting the cloud profile“, as described above, is a solution. I am not going to try that right now, because I do not know what will happen to my progress. I am too close to 1000 hours of flying. :slight_smile:

On my XBox Series X, the sim started crashing a few weeks ago, at startup, when syncing with the cloud. Of course on an XBox there usually is a controller connected. Now I am wondering if it is the same problem. I will see if I can start the sim on my XBox without a gamepad. The problem started shortly after I used MSFS in the xCloud. That still works, but I was wondering, if the syncing between XBox, PC and xCloud, somehow created the problem.

The recent World Updates are great and it is unfortunate that running the sim is getting more difficult. :slight_smile: In any case, thank you for all the development! Looking forward to MSFS 2024.

I’ve had this issue a few times. Now I have the controller permanently plugged in to my PC. Touch Wood, so far I haven’t had the issue since.
I took it as a issue where, when you connect the controller in game, it was crashing due to the drivers being installed in to MSFS which causes the crash?

On my XBox, MSFS has been crashing, when syncing with the cloud during startup, for a few weeks now. After encountering similar problems on my PC connected to the XBox controller, I have now tried to turn the controller off during startup of MSFS on my XBox. It works. After pressing a button to continue from the cinematic startup video, I removed the batteries of the controller to turn it off quickly. MSFS then continued to start normally without crash, for the first time in weeks.

I connected the controller after MSFS started and it did not crash my XBox. I will experiment a bit more.

Plugging in any (powered?) USB device while MSFS is running can potentially cause MSFS to crash. I’ve had MSFS crash when plugging in headphones, although they are a particularly expensive headphones.

I would hazard a guess and say powered USB devices interupt the sim and cause MSFS to crash. Microsoft and Asobo need to make this a priority because I’ve changed my flight process because of this bug, but sometimes I forget and it’s late at night, oh I need to plug in headphones and boom, sim crashes.

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes, sim has crashed with an Xbox controller.

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Sim has crashed when plugging in different USB devices, including the Xbox USB controller and on another occasion plugging in the Logitech G35 headphones while MSFS is running. If these devices are plugged in before the sim is started, then there’s no issue.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

N/A