Sim Freezes when Loading into Airports/Airfields SU5 and WU6

Today there was an update in the in game market place for ORBX London City airport.
Prior to this update I have had no recent issues in spawning into this airport. Following the update the sim started showing the issue reported in this thread, the sim freezes just over the half way mark when loading in to this airport.

Going to task manager, clicking on performance tab and then clicking on “open resource monitor” at the bottom:

and then looking at the “cpu” tab on resource monitor I saw that MS Flight Simulator was no longer responding. I.e. it was hanging as described in this thread.

To correct the issue, and this has worked with some success with other airports where I have been having this issue, I browsed to
C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SceneryIndexes and deleted all the scenery indexes (all fies named *.dat)

When I relaunched MSFS these index files were rebuilt and I was able, once again, to spawn into this airport.

2 Likes

Thank you for your information. I will hold the upgrade of EGLC.
Have you tried to launch two or more times after deleting the index files? I just want to know deleting the scenery indexes could be permanent solution.

I have since relaunched the sim and had no subsequent issues loading into EGLC so :crossed_fingers: thus far it seems to have worked for me :smiley:

1 Like

I can’t access this file, it says the path to this file does not exist anymore… Any ideas, maybe this is the problem?

The path name I gave C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SceneryIndexes is for the MS store version of MSFS. I don’t know for sure where steam keeps such files, if that is the version you are using. (Note USER NAME is also specific to each machine and depends on your own windows user name if you do have the MS Store version)

Aerosoft One installed? (Aerosoft one - Aerosoft product manager software)

Good morning. Just a quick update, following our last discussion.

I started the simulator ( I must have overlooked something, when trying to reinstall the A32NX because it didn’t show up in the aircraft collection), and planned an IFR flight ( low altitude airways) from EGSH to EGLL.

I did the quick start ( key 5 on the HOTAS) and brought up the VFR map. I taxied to runway 27 ( the co-pilot handled the ATC communication) and took off. Switched to AI control at about 5000ft and sat back to observe.

The flight was uneventful, but for the occasional glitches ( internet connection losses).

We are now on approach, and I will let you know what happened ( the aircraft followed the flight plan accurately).

Now descending…

1 Like

Weird, but the changing sound, sounded therapeutic on this blustery October morning :slightly_smiling_face:.

I think the aircraft put in more mileage from TOD to approach, that the direct distance between Norwich and London :thinking:.

I watched it touch down, sought ATC clearance, and taxied to the gate .

I dare not try a return flight yet :joy:

Since today I have the same (or very similar) problem
Can load a flight in World Map…but then when loading, it will never ends.
Not freezing, but loading…and loading…tried more than 1 hour. Will never come to an end.
The Fly-over/fly-by at the airport will not come
And I “only” installed a lot of OFFICIAL airports (not from flightim.to)

Very disappointing. especially I load Ibiza (and havent installed ANY Ibiza Airport)

Why this will happen?

Hi Asobo…is there a log so you can see, which airport will clash?

Best,
Lutz

Sorry for not posting for the last few weeks. I had to take a break from trying to get the sim to work properly. It is genuinely getting me a bit down. I know what you are thinking. It just a game, what is wrong with you? To me it isn’t just a game. I’m not going to go in to why. This isn’t the place for that.

I have just watched the latest Dev Q and A on Twitch, and I cannot explain just how incensed I am that this bug we are all suffering is not even in the list of the top 24 of bugs that the devs are looking at. How on earth is this possible? This is causing many many people issues. This isn’t just a small bug where it is slightly annoying. This is a major show stopper bug, where lots of people are giving up even trying to play the sim. Including me.

Since SU5 I have all but given up on the sim. I have had no choice. All the constant troubleshooting, uninstalling and reinstalling, reinstalling Windows 10, adding removing hardware, software unrelated to MSFS (which works perfectly with everything else) It is depressing.

And it doesn’t even make the top 24 bugs being looked at.

You know I would much rather have a good old fashion CTD that can be logged and monitored, because when you get a freeze, the sim doesn’t log this. I have to Task Manager back to desktop.

For any new people asking me whether I have this plane or this airport installed etc. This happens on a completely fresh install of Windows 10, with zero drivers installed, and just a mouse and keyboard (with no drivers). A vanilla copy of MSFS Standard with no World Updates downloaded and zero add on airports or airplanes, and no 3rd party software.

This is without doubt the most annoying and impossible to troubleshoot bug I have ever come across in my 20 years of Flight Simming.

And it doesn’t make the top 24 bugs list.

The voting system is completely flawed.

1. Approach Flyback Bug
  2. Please stop freaking lighting
  3. Wrong temperatures
  4. Unrealistic airport lighting distances

While these are obviously being bumped up the list by fellow simmers, how are these more important than not being able to use the sim at all?

Ridiculous.

Jorg, you said you have spent the last week reading the forums. You may want to read this thread. A zero bugs policy you say. I’ll really look forward to that.

2 Likes

Except they said debugging was their main concern because while bugs may only result in lock ups low fps for you for some they are causing CTD’s. Believe me once we have a steady platform most remaining bugs will quickly disappear not least because 3rd party devs will no longer have moving goalposts to aim at.

Miracles happen. Today the newest Nvidia driver installed automatic, and…after weeks and weeks freezing during loading a flight…IT WORKS !!! TRY TO INSTALL THE NEWEST DRIVER GUYS.

Installed the latest Nvidia driver too (472.12) but sadly still the same issues for me. It is still freezing when loading into airports bought on the marketplace.

In all airports or only bought on the marketplace?

Only those bought on the Marketplace have issues for me. If I uninstall them they load fine. As others have said I can fly to these airport without issues but not start a flight from them.

now, can you tell which one so that other users can try ?.. “this one from marketplace” are a lot :wink: , or is it only “Fly Tampa’s Copenhagen EKCH” ?

Had this previously when I loaded into EHRD. FS crashed into non responsive when the blue bar was halfway. So I avoided that airport.
Yesterday I landed at KODO without any issues, but today when I wanted to take off from KODO the same crash as I described above. Getting really annoying.
Community folder is empty, and I have no payware add ons (except for the pmdg dc-6).

Besides EKCH by Fly Tampa, I also have this issue with LOWI by Orbx, EKBI, EKRN and EKYT by SimNord. I have stopped buying airports on the Marketplace at this point.

1 Like

My experience is as follows:
I have 16+ airports, mostly bought on the Marketplace unfortunately. Up until recently none of them worked after SU5.
Last week I noticed a couple of them had been updated to 1.18.5 - ie in the notes that you can click on in the listing. These worked. I contacted some of the publishers directly and one of them (FSim Studios) was decent enough to send me their latest CYLW. The others would not. Basically MS is taking an age updating them ( clearly not a priority…)
Some like LSGS you can land into, but not spawn at.

As customers we have been very shabbily treated. I am sure that as cloud product customers we have a right to expect the vendor to provide working copies of their products.
Of course I will be among many of us who will assiduously avoid buying anything from the Marketplace in future.

same here… updated windows, updated drivers, still occuring