Sim hangs up upon loading into flight (after SU6)

Hi,
after the lastest SU6 I have noticed that my sim (again) is having troubles to load up a flight. Its like every 1 of 3 starts. Sometimes the sims just fully loads the blue progress bar and thats it. Nothing happens after. I need to close the sim by Alt+F4, start again and hope this time it loads propperly. Then when I try again, the sim loads within 30 seconds. Anyone experiencing the same issue?

On SU5 it was caused by a space between the aircraft registration numbers and letters. Offline mode helped. But Im not having any now and that should be fixed by SU6 if Im not mistaken.

Cheers

Have you looked at this thread?

1 Like

bro double check that the space isnt there , i just stumbled on this by accident after having the same issue for almost two weeks!! , it turns out i had a double space in my and that was the culprit!!

1 Like

Nope, thats a new issue as stated in the post above. Will see if somebody finds solution.

2 Likes

This started happening to me last night. I set-up a flight on the world map, click on FLY, it starts loading the assets, but then it eventually stops accessing the hard drive (the blue bar gets to 100%), but nothing happens. The flight never starts, it’s just stuck on the loading screen. It started happening to me after i installed Prague landmarks package. So i deleted it, but it keeps happening. It’s pretty annoying. The bugs and problems are just constant with this piece of jank. I’m starting to regret buying it.

2 Likes

Having the same issue, was successfully flying just 2 days ago, now I try to load into a flight and the blue bar gets to 75% and the sim just hangs.

Very frustrating since I changed absolutely nothing since 2 days ago when I was able to load into flights.

MODERATOR EDIT:
Sorry what versions of FS2020 do you have?
It could be a Cache problem or internet bandwidth problems or even overcharging problems.
It could be that maybe some aero or some non-functional mod has been installed.
Does it happen to you with Defoult’s airs or with the airs bought and unloaded?
Does it also happen to you with the Steam version?

Scusate quali versioni di FS2020 avete?
Potrebbe essere un problema di Cache oppure problemi di banda internet o ancora problemi di sovracarico.
Potrebbe essere che forse è stato installato qualche aero o qualche mod non funzionale.
Vi succede con gli aeri di Defoult oppure con gli aeri comprati e scaricati?
Vi succede pure con la versione Steam?

I’m also having this problem and it’s worsened over the past few days. Seems intermittent. But generally if I am loading an add-on with complex scenery first time after new execute of MSFS, it often freezes near end of load. However, if I try a less complex scenery/different add-on first, it will load normally. Interestingly, if I then return to the main screen and try the more complex scenery again, it then works. Seems like a server related or memory issue.

Same problem, except it now never works.

When I click Fly, the blue progress bar reaches about 80% and then the sim freezes.

I’ve done these without success:

I am also getting this problem intermittently. It loads up to 100% and then just sits there. I’ve left it running to see if it will eventually start but it doesn’t and exiting and starting again seems the only solution.

Hey Admin, these votes are split across various posts. Any chance of unifying the issue?

1 Like

SOLVED: My issue was a 3rd party app had modified a Windows file that MSFS also uses.

Ok. So. After this “flight endlessly loads and never starts” issue started happening to me, i tried the following:
1.removing everything from community folder (there was just Prague landmarks pack)
2.updating windows, updating nvidia drivers, updating microsoft store (i didn’t purchase it through MS Store, i just wanted to be thorough), updating Steam and verifying MSFS files
3.restarting PC as instructed while doing 2.
NONE of this helped.
Since the only way to exit MSFS in the loading loop was to task kill it, MSFS kept asking me to try to run it in safe mode, which i eventually did
After i started it in safe mode last night, the sim checked for updates and told me that i need to download around 30GB of various data, which i did. I have no clue what data it was, it just said “mandatory update” and “deluxe content”. This didn’t make much sense to me, because afaik there wasn’t any new content released and i never messed around with other places than the Community folder. After the download, i was finally able to start a flight from LFMN and do a short foggy hop to Milan (Malpenza). That was last night. After i finished the flight, i quit the sim normally (quit to desktop).

Today i tried to run the sim again, and despite properly quitting through the menu last night, it once again asked me whether i want to run in safe mode. I wanted to test whether it works outside safe mode, so this time i ran it in NORMAL mode.
Once again, it told me that there are some downloads required (not much, around 5GB, most related to the various scenery updates Japan, Northern Europe, Germany, the usual stuff that was originally installed right after the purchase). So i downloaded all the stuff that it told me to download. Now i’m planning to restart the sim. Why it keeps telling me to download more and more stuff, or how it exactly happened that the downloads are even needed i have no idea. As i said earlier, the only stuff i did was add Prague landmark pack, then the loading problem appeared, so i removed it again, but the loading problem kept happening. That was my only interaction with the game folders.
I have no clue what’s happening with the program, seriously.
This thing is in worse shape than many (admitted) Early Access titles.

okay, tell us more

What file exactly was modified in what way and (bonus question) what was the app?

At least the threads with voting capability:

Here are 2 non-voting threads that could be merged:

Those all seem to describe the same problem that emerged after SU6. However, there is also an older, very similar version of the issue with the difference that FS actually stops responding and the workarounds for this newer manifestation don’t work. My theory is that the current issue may have been caused by trying to fix the older issue, and lumping them together creates confusion and should be avoided.

Example thread for the older issue:

@PcbZorg
Your issue is an example for the older manifestation of the issue, hence the things you read about the more recent version and the workarounds don’t work. That’s what I meant by “confusion” above and why they should be kept separate. Sorry that you have the issue in its more nasty form, but it would technically belong into the thread I linked to above.

I’m on #PC, #Steam version of MSFS. Thanks for the clarification, i’ll admit that i’m losing track a littlebit, because i read and posted comments in several of these threads in hopes of finding a working solution.
So there was a specific workaround for my particular version of the problem? Because i didn’t have the “stuck at 50%” version, people complained about months ago, i had the “blue bar fills all the way, then it stops and hangs around until i task kill the sim” version.
I was even using resource monitor to see what files are accessed by the simulator when the flight is loading (even before the bug happened [thx to long loading times], so i had a general idea how it’s supposed to look) - and it looked exactly the same as when it worked normally. But then it just stopped instead of showing the “ready to fly” button.

I got news, though - i’m flying again. The problem is, that i haven’t done anything specific to fix the issue. But i’m gonna describe everything that i did anyway in hopes that it’s going to help someone else. Probably won’t (since people even tried to do a complete reinstall and the thing kept happening even afterwards), but there i go:

Since i kept trying to start various flights, and the sim got constantly stuck on the loading page, after each restart i got the “do you want to run in SAFE mode?” question. Even though i didn’t have any 3rd party addons installed (empty community folder), eventually i decided to try the SAFE mode.
To my surprise, after starting MSFS in SAFE mode, it immediately claimed that i need to download the Standard content Mandatory update, and Deluxe content update (together around 30GB). I was super surprised why this happens, because i was 100% sure that this exact stuff was already downloaded during the initiall installation of the game (i bought MSFS VERY recently, so i do remember). Nevermind, i downloaded the 30GB, tried to start a flight from LFMN and voilá - IT WORKED.
BTW - my MSFS Library folder (Standard edition + Deluxe content + all free world updates + flying hospital) was cca 170GB in size. When the simulator started the download in safe mode, i was so puzzled, that i checked the size of the MSFS Library DURING the install and found out that the size was significantly lower. Which means that the installation became damaged at some point. Unfortunately, i have no clue whatsoever about when or why that happened.
As i stated before, my only interaction with the game folders was copying the Prague landmark pack directly into the Community folder. I never touched the Official folder (well, TBH i checked some of the default livery textures in Irfan View, but i doubt that an image displaying software leaves destruction in its wake).
So, to recap - after SAFE mode told me to download some stuff, i did, and managed to start and finish a flight afterwards. But it didn’t end there.
I finished the flight, returned to the menu, and selected quit to desktop.
After i ran the simulator the next day - there it was again. “Do you want to run in SAFE mode?” - Since i spent some time on these forums, i already know that this is a manifestation of a completely different bug - MSFS offering safe mode every time you run it. But that’s irrelevant here.
So, i selected NORMAL mode, because i wanted to find out whether it’s going to work as well.
And once again - there were downloads to be made. This time it was related to the World updates (The Japan, the Scandinavia, Germany, UK etc… Not the whole updates, just few megabytes here and there, it also prompted me to download the flying hospital again, so the overall size was around 3GB.
After the downloads were done, i restarted the sim in NORMAL mode (it asked, yet again, despite me “properly” quitting the sim), attempted to do a short flight and it worked.
As far as i know - there weren’t any patches or official new content downloads in the last two days. So it looks like my installation of MSFS became damaged at some point, and starting the simulator in SAFE mode triggered redownload of certain assets, which apparently fixed it. But how or why the installation became borked - i have no clue whatsoever. One day i finished a normal flight from LXGB to LFMN, the next day i couldn’t fly anymore. Oh and another thing. Don’t know if it affected something, unfortunately. I stopped using the steam link to run the game. Instead i created an admin shortcut to the FlightSimulator.exe.
So - i am flying again, but unfortunately i have no clue what was actually wrong, how it happened, and why was the redownload/repair triggered only in safe mode.

This is happening to me after SU6 and the windows 11 update (it starts with a Directx 11 error message and then CTD), after reinstalling NVidia drivers it ran once with no issues, on the second run DX11 CTD, (reinstalled drivers) on third run it shows the download screen for 30gb of packages. I have downloaded the same package twice, the sim runs once with no issues, then it gives the CTD and the cycle continues.

For reference I removed all community packages, but the sim cannot run at this point, this is Steam version.

I should have stayed with windows 10…

Operating System: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22000) (22000.co_release.210604-1628)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: LENOVO
System Model: 81HD
BIOS: 8XCN31WW(V2.00) (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32648MB RAM
Page File: 11942MB used, 25569MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: UnKnown
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported
DirectX Database Version: 1.3.0

@commander175 I am sorry to hear you are having ctd issues as well.

Can I clarify if you are also experiencing the issue that this thread is reporting, i.e. the sim just ‘freezes’ or ‘hangs’ when loading a flight- the blue progress bar stops and nothing happens? (Often this is also shown in task manager as MSFS becoming unresponsive)

If your issue is always an unfortunate crash to destop then that should be reported/discussed in another thread.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for checking. My issue (cycle of updates, Directx 11 error msg then CTDs) is when the sim is starting from windows, not when loading into flight.