Sim now seems incapable of rendering overcast consistently or accurately using live weather

Agree too and I think many of us are trying to help providing screenshots, weather data, ideas. What worries me is that Asobo is not recognizing that regression post SU7. Even if we know that they are always working trying to improve the weather, I am not sure they’ll arrive at the level of realism we initially had.

1 Like

Martial said it himself. They have no intension in turning back to pre-SU7 state. They want to make the METAR+Meteoblue approach work together instead.
I say let them do it… wait a year or two and see what they can come up with.

I was one of the people that pushed for METARs as well. They are a relatively good source of visibility and cloud height data. I didn’t expect it to bork the rest of the weather though. That was definitely not my intention.

weather don’t look good anymore, completely mess they have done.

4 Likes

We helped them telling METAR was a good idea when servers actually was sending incorrect data like the 225@3kts all the time at release. That issue actually caused them now to change for METAR-blending.

This is the OP issue reported august 2020 on that thread.

Match what? It should have matched Meteoblue but it clearly didn’t because i know for sure Meteoblue does not report winds at 225@3kts everywhere in the world. But that thread they pointing to that requested METAR.

I’m not a coder but to me the fix would have been to make sure the correct data was injected all the time from Meteoblue. Not to implement METAR.

1 Like

What do you want me to say? They’ve already stated that they will not be taking METAR out of the weather model. Perhaps you can go and picket in front of Asobo HQ?

Or you could write a letter a day to the head of Asobo explaining their mistake until they listen?

Either of these options would be more productive than complaining here.

I know they stated that. I know the weather changed for me in the sim by complaining here. Thats why i complaining now when i didn’t pre su4 when gusts were suddenly removed and now the complete weather has changed into something else.

Well, they do what they want with it. It’s their product. I hope they fix it as they say they will. Nothing more we can do actually. I just telling why i think we got winds at 225@3kts all the time. I don’t think it were because METAR was missing. Only the data from Meteoblue that didn’t was injected propperly.

They should fix things they already has in the sim before adding new things. And remove old votes after every sim update to be able to track new issues. Many of the voters i think is not even here anymore on many of the issues that got many votes at release back in 2020.

I also know that the weather will never match the real weather 100%. Either we have it set fixed at METAR around airports and it stays accurate to METAR all the time over airports or we have it dynamic and not always match METAR but should match Meteoblue forecasts. Blending them results in strange behaviour because sometimes they will differ too much. That’s my thoughts and advices how to fix it. I don’t know if we would be happy with that though. I think we only will be happy when we see the correct weather that is happening outside our windows all the time because that is what they advertised pre release of this sim in 2020. Integrating METAR will not make the weather more accurate outside our windows if we are not living near a weather station.

1 Like

Already is mate.

14 Likes

Hi, is that issue could be moved to bug-logged ?, issue still happen and can be easily replicated. Who is deciding to update those classifications ?.

Just checked in with the sim today so see if the overcast issue/cumulus spam has been sorted … I guess not as with live weather south east England, which has been under mid/high-level overcast for most of the day, still showing 5/8 cumulus coverage.

Has there been any statement from Asobo about sorting this out?

1 Like

As per the last Development Update, planned weather improvements in upcoming Sim Updates are:
Wishlist:
1- Cloud Layer Improvements (Bugs LT #2, #17) | SU 10
Fine-tuning of the cloud layer system to be more precise and incremental is ongoing. The cloud layer will be much thinner at sea level and thicker at higher altitudes. The updated system will better depict a realistic cloud coverage at low altitude with an update of the weather panel.
2- #29 → 532 votes Thermals, Up & Downdrafts - Realism Update Started

Bugs:
#01 → 1151 votes Live Weather Does Not Match Started (Several Releases)

They don’t mention something in particular regarding the overcast bug, not sure if the “Cloud Layer Improvements” will attend this issue or which one of all reported issues. Bugs Lifetime #2 & #17 are not related to weather issues, I don’t know why they referenced them here. We need to wait for SU10 Beta and the Release notes to see if they have included other points than the 3 ones above mentioned.

1 Like

It’s not very reliable, but I have seen totally unbroken overcast in SU9

Yes, I’ve seen that too. But the issue I think is that in many situations, even if your are at an airport with a METAR that is reporting overcast, you are seeing from the ground broken clouds instead and above them blue sky, it is not consistent. That is why it is reported as a bug.
From the Weather bug list ( Latest Bug Reports/Weather topics - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums), the only one that should be attended (even if partially) is the “Live Weather Does Not Match”. Hopefully SU10 Beta Release notes will include more fixes to the weather.

(Quoting MS, not you, DementedCorn327) This is perhaps the worst misconception they can apply to “improve “ the clouds in the sim. The altocumulus layer 3 or 4 km high is often as thin as 100 m, and the cirrocumulus similarity. Those will be impossible if the layers higher up are thicker. Putting clouds in boxes is going backwards in time. With the 60-level Meteoblue data there is all information needed to determine the clouds in terms of their physical, not graphical properties.

4 Likes

Yes it doesn’t make sense. How will they ever produce cirrus clouds if they make the layers thicker at altitude!?

1 Like

Agree with you and that is what I was saying in another thread:
the-weather-bugged-weather-cumulus-cb-clouds-only-no-medium-to-high-cloud-coverage/487587/524?u=dementedcorn327
So I don’t know if it is a mistake in the description or what they are trying to achieve with that “enhacement”.

3 Likes

I don’t know feels strange Asobo deciding thickness. Meteoblue should do that if we still have Meteoblue weather. Maybe we have Asobo-weather blended with METAR since su7 instead? Where did those popcornclouds come from in su8? I’m 100% sure they not were predicted everywhere on Meteoblue.

Need to wait and see i think.

5 Likes

I really hope they are still working with Meteoblue. Sometimes it looks like they are not anymore and instead they are using satellite images/sources and generate clouds coverage from there and that is why we only see generic and always same cloud types with in many cases 1 or 2 layers at best. Just speculations…

3 Likes

The same goes with Blackshark.

It’s been suspiciously ignored for well over a year now and no new archetype buildings. Are they still partnered with Meteoblue and blackshark?

Makes you wonder doesn’t it. A couple of times questions about blackshark have been asked in the Q/A section and highly voted but they have never been asked. Adding new buildings doesn’t sell add-ons. It is clear to me Asobo’s prime focus now is adding stuff the market place and generating more income. That’s fair enough but I do feel a little bit mislead about “blackshark continually learning” which I’m certain was how it was marketed, and of course “live weather” is a total let down since SU7.

7 Likes

I think we can assume parternship is still happening with blackshark since their logo is still appearing when launching the simulator. But regarding Meteoblue, we have no way to find this out, unless having that question asked and answered in a Q&A or a new Feature Discovery dedicated to weather.