Sim now seems incapable of rendering overcast consistently or accurately using live weather

yes and btw the current pics show low altitude overcast and only because the clouds are big or have rain showers blocking the view. where is the pre-su7 kind you are showing there now? gone

try individual layers too especially High Clouds

2 Likes

KGUY right now, just changed the time we could see better

1 Like

KPYX

1 Like

KBGD

CYEG

1 Like

That’s true. Several layers of different amount of cover can add up to being overcast from the ground.

They look ok, but none of them look like the overcast in my pre-su7 image. That is the kind of overcast we have here in the UK. A uniform, flat cloud layer, like a blanket from horizon to horizon. The first one, you can’t see the clouds due to the visibility, 2nd one is not a flat overcast layer, neither is the 3rd one. They seem to be made up of dense “broken” clouds rather than a large flat overcast blanket.

3 Likes

Visibility to the horizon would also be a useful judge of how well it is represented. If you have it, it’s worth playing around with Rex Weather Force, though I think its overcast wasn’t as good as MSFS native. Other cloud types it was better for though.

Which from the ground can still be observed as 8 oktas, and therefore overcast.

I think that is what an automated weather station would report, rather than FEW016 BKN031 SCT042, an so on.

For the record, this is a real world example of the kind of higher altitude overcast I’d like to see:

Many of the airports I fly into report high altitude overcast but the sim always shows patchy blurry ‘bowties’ overlapping and it just looks bad. The sim used to be able to do solid, soft, pleasant looking overcasts like @AndyXPO shows and I and others have similar pics. The sim seems to have an abundance of low dark overcasts but where is the more somber soft appearance?
It is not too much to ask to have back what we once had.(and by that I am talking about an appearance of a situation that is quite common in real life and used to be in the sim. – I’m actually quite happy with some of the lower altitude clouds I’ve been seeing – they just need to keep working with it and make all clouds look like clouds and please please please bring back some softer somber day type appearances – it doesnt all have to have so much contrast)

6 Likes

which brings us back to creating weather from what a station can see instead of the detailed weather that forecasts provide. if a station only sees up to a certain altitude it wont care what lies beyond. it may say Clear if there are no clouds below the max observing altitude. is that what the game then should show?

The sim doesn’t do high altitude clouds very well at all. It’s attempts at what I assume are cirrus are often really bad. Yet, I have had a play around with making them by hand, and get reasonable results, so I think the engine can handle them, to an approximation at least, it just do a very good job of realising them.

This is what I saw one day:

My hand made efforts:

it was once able to do them better in live weather so I for one want all of that back please

6 Likes

Something definitely happened. The attribution can be disputed, but the atmosphere doesn’t seem as nuanced as it used to. I think the individual cloud rendering is more than acceptable. I don’t see that grainy effect I have seen others report, for example.

But the cloud layers, the variety…we lost something along the way. What altar it was sacrificed on we can only speculate.

1 Like

I saw this satellite image just an hour ago:

SKC to the east, while all stations west of EDDH (A) reported BKN to OVC 023. So I decided to take a test flight from EDDH to EDWE (B).

Here’s the situation at EDDH looking east, few clouds and SKC in the distance

To the west: obviously more clouds

Enroute I saw mostly BKN coverage and what appeared to be OVC to the south.

On approach to EDWE (B), overcast around 2300 ft, accurate to the METAR report. No METAR bubble or sudden changes in the cloud coverage were discernable.

On the ground in EDWE:

Here’s my take: accuracy in terms of where clouds are rendered and the degree of coverage has vastly improved. Credit where credit is due.

Had I not expierienced one year of pre-SU7 cloud rendering, I guess I would be content with the improvements of the last months.
But comparing mine with your pre-SU7 screenshot demonstrates that there’s still a lot to be desired in terms of fidelity and naturalness.

And it has to be mentioned that today’s clouds were far better than what I see most days.

4 Likes

It’s the inconsistency that niggles the most.

2 Likes

It’s overcast in Cambridge right now, if anyone wants to spawn at EGSC to check?

Here’s how it looks for me:

Not unreasonable, given that it is obviously on the edge to SKC and that there has to be some sort of transition.

1 Like

Comparison should always be done against MeteoBlue forecast since it is the source for clouds, not against satellite image or other sources.
As per MB, it says 80-95 % of Low Clouds in Cambridge:

This is from my trains window at Cambridge station.

When I got home 20 minutes down the track at Ely, I spawned at Lakenheath (EGUL) which showed this:

Not completely terrible.

2 Likes

so from what I can tell it seems regardless of the satellite or weather map showing overcast for a whole area the game can only render low overcast over stations that report OVC? in between the best it can do is broken.

I tried using Rex Weather Force to see what it made of it.

And from above.

It seems to do a better job of creating that “foam” look to it. So I think the sim is capable of doing what we want, but is not being told to, as it were.