Sim Startup Time-Great Improvement

I’ve noticed that the startup time for the sim has greatly reduced for me.
It used to take just over 4 minutes from launch, until I was in the Main Menu.
Now It’s taking less that 1 minute. (nice!)

Don’t know what you guys are doing behind the scenes, but keep it up. :+1:

1 Like

Not for me. It still takes a very long time (sometimes over 5 minutes) and this also happened after yesterday’s update.

2 Likes

Same for me too.

I don’t what happened for me, but not only has the Sim startup time been reduced, but also after
hitting “Fly Now” it’s only taking about 30 seconds to load. Prior, it would hang for over 2 minutes on the spot I’ve marked in the image below. (No changes were made to my PC or Sim by me.)

1 Like

It must be just a placebo. It has always been under 1 minute startup loading for me since the SU11. No change.

You must have some addons removed from community folder which makes the loading time faster.

I’d harldy call it a placebo, when it used to take 4-5 minutes to start the Sim and now it takes less than
1 minute. I’d call that quite an improvement.

I don’t use addons.

Were you in beta and has your community folder been wiped now the update is out? That would explain short loading times.

My times are longer than ever before.

I was in the Beta.
My Community Folder has always been empty. I don’t use Mods or Addons.

There are a few things you can do for long start-up times in general (not just for MSFS).

Windows: First, go into task manager and disable Detectballon.exe. Why this is still there in a post-Windows-7, post Flash world (it used to be used in FlashJuggler under a slightly different name) is beyond me. Disabling this was good for a 1/3 drop in start-up time, and it obviously has a similar effect at runtime.

Second, disable all the small cpu-sucking “utilities” that serve no real purpose. This includes anything related to ARGB lighting effects (do you really need blinkenlights???), game controller software, etc. Especially Logitech “game experience” , “mousse/keyboard helpers”, and other frameworks. You’d be surprised at the impact this crapware has on runtime efficiency. Look at any other unnecessary “frameworks” that you can kill off. Disable them temporarily, and if it doesn’t appear to negatively affect performance, either disable them permanently or uninstall them.

Third, if you can, get rid of NVidia. The box is noticeably faster with an Arc 770 LE than it was with both the Arc and an NVidia card - even though the NVidia card wasn’t even being used, just sitting there taking up a couple of slots, no connections to any screens.

Tiny gains (5% here, 10% there) really add up.

On another note - Armoury Crate is no longer able to monitor CPU and other temps, fan speeds, etc., once you go exclusively to Arc graphics cards. But that’s okay - it’s a HUGE CPU hog anyway. I consider losing it’s functionality as ultimately a win.

Hope this helps with both start-up and run times.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.