Sim Update 5 Oculus Rift Issues

Not necessarily. All the settings you can change with Oculus Tray Tool can be changed using the Oculus debug tools too. It’s just a bit more awkward and has to be done every time, instead of letting OTT detect the game and set them automatically.

To be honest, your crash was probably because of MSFS itself rather than the settings I gave you. Lots of people have been having random crash issues since SU5, though there’s another hotfix coming soon which will hopefully sort them out.

I guess that’s probably it then, I’d get constant stutters and then it crashed. I have a 2080 ti but only 16gb ram. I don’t want to get more ram since the next ddr upgrade is around the corner and I would have to upgrade the motherboard and cpu as well. Even with all these problems I still would use VR instead of the normal 4k that I can run smoothly on monitor lmao.

I have a 2060 so the above settings should theoretically work smoothly for you, though obviously there are other aspects of a system which contribute towards performance too. I do have 32GB of RAM, but from what I (and others) have seen, it never makes use of even half of it. I think about 10-11GB is about as high as I’ve seen RAM usage go, so I don’t think you’ll struggle with 16GB.

As for VR, yeah, I could never go back to flat screens in any sim now. Sure we have to put up with lower quality graphics and poorer overall performance, but the extra immersion and situational awareness is worth it. Hopefully the next patch will fix your crashing issues so you can enjoy it properly!

1 Like

care to share any other settings ? such as nvidia panel and oculus settings ?

I have a 2060 super OC and get stutters whatever setting I do. My ram is 32GB and using an i7. On the other hand playing XP11 with high settings and many settings is butter smooth.

I’ve already given my Oculus settings. The official Home software gives you almost nothing to play with, which is why we need OTT in the first place… to access the settings they think we’re too stupid to use. :slight_smile:

As for the nVidia CP, I’ve tried tweaking a few settings there but have seen practically no impact whatsoever in the sim from doing so. Assuming the MSFS profile is successfully loading, it seems to me that none of the settings provide any real enhancement to quality or performance in VR. But if you really want my settings, I generally set the following for all VR games:

Power Management Mode: Prefer max performance
Anisotropic sample optimisation: On
Quality: High performance
Trilinear optimisation: On
Threaded optimisation: On
Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames: 3

I also have Max Frame Rate set to 30fps to prevent 100% GPU usage in the MSFS menus.

After the hotfix there is no more crash to desktop. The game looks very nice with good details, way better than before. The only thing is that if my move my head too fast I get some interlacing of the cockpit frame, I can live with that. Thank you for the settings.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.