Sim Update 8 Beta Users, Has it been worth it?

All - Not testing, but comments very spot on. I would imagine, billions of lines of code, with complex interactions between the complex system that is MSFS. So, if one change here, like a rock thrown into pond, how are the ripples going to affect the rest of the whole (MSFS).

We all wish for perfection, and our “hot spots” to be fixed, I just want it to be stable, and easy for everyone to get into and use.

Was about to reply, but I realized what OP is asking isn’t whether we regret installing the beta (no! of course not), but whether we think Asobo’s priorities were off. This is a really leading/trolly sort of question, and really isn’t constructive here. This is one of the few times I think the mods need to shut a thread down.

1 Like

No, it’s certainly not meant to be a troll post. I would like to know what key fixes have made people opt in.

You definitely feel like it was worth it. Which bugs fixed were most important for you?

2 Likes

Clouds look better. I fly ifr a lot, so FL45 is now stable. My rig gets great performance from the start, so no noticeable difference other than my gpu seems less taxed. No complaints here.

What’s the size of the beta sim update 8?

That is because most all community bugs are imaginary complaints.

2 Likes

Yes it was worth it. Over 2 hrs in and no issues. Can’t say I noticed anything “new” or fixed, but equally as important is I haven’t seen anything broken either. Did they previously fix the ATIS so it only calls out one cloud layer instead of the phantom cloud layers? I noticed it but wasn’t sure.

Also, I’m using AIG traffic and the AI plane engines were very loud, in the air from inside my own plane. Again, don’t know if this setting was there before but I noticed a “other aircraft” sound setting. Turned this down from 100% and all was good.

Major issues experienced on first flight using the SU8 Beta for VR users.

My Joystick (thrustmaster airbus edition) now works beautifully, wherever my mouse is inside cockpit. Absolutely delighted. KNOWN BUG FIXED.

My Throttle Quadrant (Airbus editionTCA Quadrant) now works beautifully, wherever my mouse is inside cockpit. Absolutely delighted. KNOWN BUG FIXED.

My Rudder pedals (CH pro pedals) totally stop responding as soon as my mouse hovers over any window opened in VR. KNOWN BUG NOT FIXED.

The above issue was the worst of all the “mouse over window” controls locking up issues, as it is almost impossible to taxi on the ground and make ATC calls at the same time ! without veering off course.

Why have you solved two peripherals but not the rudders?

Another major issue i experienced was, after switching to an outside view midflight, all my carefully positioned and sized windows (ATC, littlenavmap, objectives, enhanced VFR map etc)
returned to their default position and sizes ! A right pain in the ____! BRAND NEW BUG CREATED.

What happened there?

I am sure that a lot of effort has been made to release this beta in lots of areas other than VR and I am grateful for every fix and modification, but to be honest I only really had one major issue with the sim since SU7 in VR and you have still not addressed it and you’ve added a new one to boot.

1 Like

Been fine here (I’m aware of the know issues though). As a person who flies the 152 a whole lot I decided to opt into it for the new prop simulation. Usually I’m using the mod for the 152 but it doesn’t support the new prop simulation yet (at least I don’t think).

I just flew the stock 152 (haven’t touched it in such a long time) on VATSIM. Shot an NDB approach and also held over it, all was peachy, smooth as butter maxed out aside from render scale at 100. I also flew for a few hours yesterday (under IFR on VATSIM) and it was fine then too. Worth it? I think so though something to consider is I don’t fly the meta, nor do I use stock ATC, live traffic or the flight planner.

Still feel that my other two sims (P3D and XP) loaded with addons are worth the space they’re hogging but keeping an eye on FSElite and Threshold and knowing what is coming to SU8 is making me starting to consider getting rid of them. Don’t want to pull that trigger too soon but I know I will at some point.

Flying under IFR in MSFS is totally possible. I’ve done it as a /A, /U, /G, /L. MSFS is however a gold mine for flying under VFR and if the weather calls for VMC I generally fly under VFR as it’s extremely fun to break out my real VFR charts and use TrackIR looking around outside making sure I stay on course but it’s IMC I file IFR and my head stays buried looking at the panel and interacting with the cockpit in such that ensures success on my IFR flight. I also have no issues flying what charts say. I’ve had fun flying the 152 on non-RNAV SIDs and STARs before. I fly IFR in MSFS no differently than I do in P3D and XP.

3 Likes

Interesting discussion. I’m not testing the Beta so can someone post a link to the su8 beta bug fixes/changelog. I tried looking for it already but couldn’t find it. Thanks in advance.

Sure, here you go…

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/sim-update-8-release-notes-1-23-9-0/496878

1 Like

Thanks for that. That’s quite a list, good to see things getting fixed even if I don’t use many or won’t likely see/notice them. There are a few on that list I think that could have had “community bug” next to them eg overcast cloud layers has been complained about quite a lot on this forum, was it fixed? are we now seeing overcast properly?

I do hear what people are saying, but these bug fixes have likely been in the works for many months. I’d give them time to fix others as annoying as that can be. Game breakers I wholly agree with should be prioritised. Having said that one persons ‘game breaker’ can be another persons ‘don’t care’ that is just the nature of the beast. Some user reported issues certainly have been around for far too long though.

Did XBox see any fixes? It has a few ‘game breakers’. I see Hotas sensitivity saves are fixed (only been missing since July '21 xbox launch), but no mention of the absolutely crippling losing mouse control bug or black avionics bug.

Anyone try out the new propeller effects & p-factor on the 3 aircraft it’s modeled on? Just curious as to what to expect.

I did the 152.

1 Like

Also interesting to see they have fixed/improved the achievements and how they are calculated re assists. Just wondering though if anyone is finding any “retro satisfaction” when eg ‘My Way’ now pops based on previous endeavors but you have no idea when or what for. For me it would seem like a bit of an anti climax.

Anything noticable? Does it feel different or react differently? Any visible prop effects?

I’ll get back to you after I wake up, going to bed now.

1 Like

I hope these physics will have it that when you decrease throttle, the speed drop will be more dramatic and instant. An example being the PC6, you let off the gas then it’s like the throttle acts like it’s stuck for a bit and gets a sort of reverse turbo lag before the effects finally kick in. The King Air is another that act similar. It feels that it takes far too long to shave speed off with props. Added drag effects and realistic winmilling would be great at least on paper.

1 Like

Interesting to know. I’m not a pilot so wasn’t sure what I’d notice. The PC6 isn’t implemented yet though by the looks of things. Just the 152, Caravan and King Air 350.
I’m intrigued by the “hundreds of moving surfaces covering the propeller realistically”.
I see its optional too so is there a menu option or something?

Remember that bugs that are on this list that are flagged “by the community” are actually flagged through a very small number of “high profile” threads that get specifically drawn to the developers attention, or perhaps raised repeatedly at the Q&A sessions. The community forum is not the way to raise bugs - that’s zendesk. Every single fix on the release notes could have had many zendesk reports, or been found internally over the last 18 months+ by Asobo, or been raised in other ways (e.g. by third party developers).

There may have been an expectation in this community, that SU8 would target the bugs that are discussed on these forums, but I don’t believe Asobo have ever said anything like that, and remember also that this community is a tiny fraction of the user base.

Many of the fixes do look small or inconsequential (e.g. fixing gaps in cockpit visuals etc) - but I will guarantee that tickets will have been raised for these at some point. I also expect that there will have been a fair bit of “if we fix X, we can also fix Y and Z at the same time as it is all related” about some of this.

Like others posting here, I’m finding SU8 beta a little underwhelming to test - but actually that’s a very good thing - there are no new features (is a fixed broken feature considered new?) so actually it is more about “does the whole thing feel like it is working better?”, and my answer so far is “yes” to that.

I actually think the sim would benefit from 2 or even 3 more batches of fixes like this, where they really make a dent in a lot of the small niggly things that have been outstanding for a long time - these are the sorts of things that you’ll notice if you regularly fly a specific plane or use a specific feature, but likely never even be aware of if you don’t.

6 Likes

Have a look at the last Q&A video here:

Go to 23:39 in the video to hear about the sim improvements where Seb goes through the new propeller effects in some detail.

1 Like