Sim will not start: Stuck on Checking for Updates

Italy here too. Please check with task manager: the cpu stays below 5%, but GPU is between 50% and 90%. Is this normal? What is using the GPU?

same here in germany…says: needs first update from ms store.,downloaded 1.3 gb…and after restarting same message (;

These are the values on my PC

immagine

Never had this issue before. Also had if today in the US. Said mandatory update required, launched the MS Store. Then stuck in update cycle and rebooted. Now on reboot it’s reinstalling the entire Sim. Nothing changed from yesterday when it worked normally. Waiting for all 112 GB to download and install. Frustrating. Yet again.

Restart your computer… Now is installing FS2020 from scratch. So will take time. Hopfully it will work. Happily I have a good connection here so will ‘only’ take 2 hours

After almost an hour of waiting, it now seems to start but is really very very slow.
I think I’ll turn off the PC and go to sleep, try again tomorrow. :grinning:

Update: I confirm, the SIM has finally started and everything seems ok, even the Marketplace responds well but now I no longer want to fly.

3 Likes

italian also here, same issue. stuck on checking for updates

tried to restart, repair, turn off the pc but still the same

guess i just need to wait

1 Like

Mine has also moved forward a bit, now at about 90% of the loading of the new activities screen. About 40 mins from starting the program.

1 Like

Now Is working good after 10/15 minutes on the screen “searching updates” :expressionless:

1 Like

If you have a VPN try a different country, I am in the UK, but I always download for DK Copenhagen always get faster speeds.

Yes – that was a most Interesting case !!! - Mod “left overs” !!!

I tried the simulator this morning and it works perfectly. Yesterday I was among those who found it no longer worked, see my comments above, and I did NOT make any changes.
This is not the first time this has happened, so this teaches me that:

• This program can stop working due to service interruption from the Supplier.

• The service provided by the Supplier is unattended and in case of failure the recovery time is several hours, and in any case does not seem to be regulated by a contract with the Users.

• The Supplier does not give any evidence to the Users of his failures.

• Users often try to restore the operation of the software by following irrational advice from other Users, and end up compromising their installation. This plays into the hands of the Supplier, who thus covers up the problems with his service.

Moral: in the event of a repeat, if I have not modified anything on my side, do not touch anything and wait.

2 Likes

To all people with this issue. Were you in the beta? If so, Ms booted everybody from the beta release yesterday to force everyone back in the final release. As mentioned in many posts here this can result in wiping the sim, especially when it was installed in the default path OR when one forgot to point the installer to the custom location.

The effect of doing this correctly is that initially the installer wants to install the complete 115 something gb, but when you change to the custom location it takes a while, 15-30 minutes in my case, and then it suddenly reverts to 500kb.

Hope this helps.

had the issues yesterday and I wasn’t in the beta. I guess the load time was increased to some server stuff so I just had to wait 30 min circa

has stated by SlowedMoss77560 didn’t did a thing and just wait and nothing broke up

You’re absolutely right, in this forum there are people who “shoot” random solutions without even reading the post and without even knowing what they write, I don’t mention names to avoid unnecessary controversy!

1 Like

How do we help when the only information you give is “I haven’t touched anything”?
You can’t fix a problem unless you know what the problem is. You need to spend some effort to identify the problem before you can find the solution. If you’re not ready to try out different troubleshooting suggestions then why did you post in the forum?
The attitude you have in this post doesn’t really inspire people to help you. People spend their free time to write suggestions for you to have a working simulator and you respond by insulting them!

I wish you the best of luck getting your problem fixed.

Sorry friend, but I didn’t write this post to get a solution to a problem, in fact I knew very well the cause of the problem.
I wrote this post just to express my disappointment with the quality of service I am receiving from Microsoft.
The original title of the post was: “We can only say: shame” but a Forum moderator changed it on his own initiative.
I find it shameful, after a year and a half of using MSFS that known bugs have not been fixed for a long time.
Fortunately I have never suffered from frequent CTDs except the last few weeks when they occurred because I always fly in real weather.
I found it very serious that in addition to the CTDs that evening MSFS was not even able to start due to the slowness with which the MS servers responded.
It seems to have been a local problem, in Europe or maybe just in Italy, but nevertheless when I sit in front of my PC dedicated to MSFS and managed with the utmost care on my part, I expect everything to work in the best way.
I don’t seem to be asking too much!

1 Like

Fair enough.

Then I suggest that we close this topic since it has fully served its purpose: expressing OP’s disappointment in the service they’re receiving, and they’re not requesting any further support from the community.

1 Like

Hi there
I am based in Zambia in Africa and have had the same issue. I found a suggested solution - delete all folders older than today in your localcache/packages/oficial/onestore folder. This did the trick but only for a few hours. To have downloaded 160gb over 3 days and to be back to square one after one succesful launch is very upsetting!

in terms of trouble shooting have done the usual suspects so far

1. checking i am logged in to xbox and store in same UId
  2. windows is up to date (w11 for me)
  3. I have removed all items from my community folder
  4. have uninstalled little navmap and navigraph just to be sure.

I think like the others are saying above - what makes it so difficult to understand is that this happened after making NO known changes to the PC at all