Simming with ForeFlight

Many folks may have heard about or even use ForeFlight in MSFS. It’s certainly not inexpensive if you don’t use it for real-world flying, but it is still an awesome tool to use alongside your virtual flights. The tool itself doesn’t know the difference. I’ve provided just a few bits to pique your interest if you’re not familiar with it and how its used in the sim. If you’d like to learn more, let me know! I’d be happy to make a more in-depth video or stream on using it in MSFS.

What blows my mind as a FF user in MSFS and real world is that simmers can get worldwide Jepp charts for $9 a month through Navigraph. I pay $200/yr just for the US! And it’s clearly the same data.

But I agree, if you’re a hardcore simmer, I don’t think buying a FF subscription is that out there of an idea. It’s a fantastic tool.

So true. I’m the same and only have the Pro Plus edition and that’s $200/yr by itself. I’ve often thought about the Performance Plus but that’s an additional $100 year. Add Jepp on top of that and bingo, another $300/year. If I did it all i’d be looking at $500/year or $41/month. On the surface, if I were flying different equipment all over the country, it’d be worth it - Cost of flying, IF I were getting PAID to fly.

We are very fortunate to have Navigraph data for access to the Jeppesen chargs. I actually use this more when I’m simulating airliner work especially outside the U.S. as all the charts are available.

1 Like

FltPlan Go is a good free alternative (though only for the US and I think Canada).

1 Like

Yes, FF works quite nicely in the SIM, easy way to really get to know how FF works because during a real flight I can’t keep my head down to keep playing with it… Only costs 99 US for a basic subscription which is fine for me as I only fly VFR and hate folding VFR maps.

What isn’t clear from the video is how he has set it up for use with MSFS 2020. I assume he is using FSUIPC7 to connect his IPAD with MSFS 2020. I only skimmed the video perhaps I missed it.

2 Likes

I have the ForeFlight Performance Plus subscription and just love it. The charts are only for U.S. though as per my selection. But it’s a great addition to MSFS for planning, performance planning, live traffic inclusion, terrain profiles and even the virtual pre flights to checkout challenging terrains.

If anyone is keen on ForeFlight get a subscription to SAFE and save 30%. Absolutely worthwhile.

https://www.foreflight.com/support/safe/

1 Like

@RCVFVET - Thanks for calling this out. You didn’t miss it, I totally forgot to mention it. I’m using xMapsy from simmarket as a standalone plugin to run this with MSFS2020. There may be other tools on the market but this one has worked for me since early Tech Alpha days.

Wow, need to look into that for the Performance Plus. I’ve been on the fence but this may help. Great tip!

1 Like

I use FF for a sim flight just like a do for a real flight.

Muscle memory, where to look things up, all that same thing you do in the cockpit.

1 Like

I wish there would be a way to use it in VR! :thinking::confused:

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I looked at it but I think I will stick with FSUIPC7. I got it from the FF website.

1 Like

Really depends on what kind of flying you do. I have performance plus and I love it but I honestly don’t remember what the basic version lacks in comparison. I know 3D view which is great for going into unfamiliar airports. Not sure what else though.

I believe there are some enhanced aircraft performance capabilities, PDC clearances and a few other niceties. For me the only thing I thought of was the 3D view and now 3D route view as you mentioned. That’s a hefty uptick in price for those features though so that’s why I’ve stayed with the Pro version.