SimWorks Zenith CH 701 lovely little full metal STOL aircraft

So flying over the ocean, weather preset to clear skies, it took me a minute to find the right trim and power setting, i could have flown her forever in this direction. I only had to apply slight pressure on the right rudder to compensate the torque. So it is possible, but if the weather gets rough or you hit thermals, you should get hands on.

2 Likes

I love this aircraft, but has some issues. I donā€™t know it is my fault, or limitation or a bug:

• Magnetic compass seems not to be aligned with heading. I use runway direction and GPS TRK value and there is quite big deviance to the compass value. Now the GPS on the middle console shows TRK 317 (on ground), the compass shows 330. Magnetic deviation is max 1-2 degrees.

• During final descend an flair I does not have to use rudder (to right), but as soon as at least one main gear is on the ground, the aircraft starts steering strong to the left. If I stop fast, it can be handled, but now I try touch-and-go by keeping the nose gear up and roll for a long time and then take-off again as shown by the instructor here and here. I add suffficient power to maintain speed even with full flaps. I can make a very low pass with full flaps along the entire runway, but I can not do it as a T&G as shown in the video. It seems that the left steering tendency is not really modelled in air, but very strongly on ground.

GƔbor

Go grab it! For this price, it is worth it if you only fly it once!

5 Likes

It is. Truly amazing price and maybe if it sells well in mass numbers we will see more of such discounts as the developers of Zenith STOL have stated they are experimenting with this kind of pricing.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t normally buy this kind of AC but decided I couldnā€™t lose much if I didnā€™t like it (Ā£1.69 I think, half the price of a ham sandwich in the UK).

What a surprise it was. Itā€™s really great fun and perfect imo for low and slow sightseeing with great visibility from the cockpit.

A fantastic buy for me and I think I will be flying it ā€˜off and onā€™ for quite some time.

3 Likes

I just bought it because it was dirt cheap.But what a surprise!The handling is excellent,lots of varieties,designs.I will try this one on all of the shortest ,hard to fly airstrips.Cockpitview is also perfect for these kind of adventures

2 Likes

Not many comments in here. I bought this in the big sale only because the price was so cheap I couldnā€™t go wrong.

For sure I got an absolute bargain. I really like this plane and use it often. Itā€™s been in my Your Current TOP 10 Aircraft - #4909 by RagingWombat839 since I bought it.

The real plane is simple but the simulation is complete and excellent, it flies really well, and we get float and ski versions. I really havenā€™t been able to fault it.

Itā€™s easily worth many times what I paid for it, to me it wouldnā€™t have been worth the full list price at the time when compared to other options available now. Iā€™d recommend it to anyone who wants a real agricultural feeling bush plane, rather than a modern YouTube bush plane, in a sale or if the list price reduced a bit.

Thank you SimWorks for the bargain. Iā€™d be curious to know if the sale experiment achieved what you hoped for.

5 Likes

Same. I would snap up a LOT of aircraft at this price point.

2 Likes

I also bought it when it was super cheap. I admit, I wouldnā€™t have bought it otherwise because I already have so many solid bush planes, but you canā€™t really go wrong for that price point. I enjoy it, though I donā€™t fly it a ton. Itā€™s definitely nice having the nose wheel so you can just slam on the brakes. I love the default livery as well as the olive drab military one. Iā€™m definitely going to need to get it back up in the air again!

Agreed. I often wonder how much more income developers would make if aircraft were more often in the $15-and-under range. I know Iā€™d buy a TON of aircraft. Whenever something is $20 and up I take a lot of time deciding whether or not itā€™s really worth it to me and the answer usually ends up being ā€œnoā€ - not that the aircraft arenā€™t worth it, but with so many different aircraft available, and so many more to come, Iā€™m very careful about my spending. I assume Iā€™m not alone in that.

2 Likes

Youā€™re certainly not alone there!
Itā€™s not just the aircraft either, thereā€™s the airports and sceneries, utilities, subscriptions and so on. It all adds up and when youā€™ve got a budget, you have to be very selective, which as you state, means that some worthy add-ons go unpurchased.

1 Like