Skipped frames / frame drops in VR

Could it be page file? I have 32gb RAM, I’ll try 64gb to see if it changes anything. What is the best practice for install directory?
Currently I have:

• OS and MSFS on 1TB NVME
  • 1TB NVME
  • 1TB QVO SSD on SATA

Would MSFS work better on the NVME where the OS is not installed?

I also have the MSFS sim and the OS on the same NVME but MSFS data on a separate SSD which works pretty well. I can’t say I’ve noticed loading issues during flight much but slight stutters do of course happen in densely populated areas and custom scenery.

I could try that. I am not sure if these are loading stutters, I call them this way because they are very similar to stutter I encounter in Loading screens. It’s as if the headset gets stuck in a position and refreshes the frame a split second too late, difficult to describe but very different from clear stuttering due to performance (which I obviously get flying over London for instance)

Ok, moved rolling cache to another nvme drive. Still issues, maybe a little better but that might just be placebo effect. One thing that really helps - still need to test it and see if it works consistently like it seems to do is to put the window in the background like alt-tab out of it. But what would change in this case? Msfs has lower priority? No direct input from keyboard/mouse?

DX11 + WDM processing is different in this case.

Which begs the questions:

• Is DX11+DWM cpu/gpu sync and present handling flawed on the latest Win10 (and won’t be changed because now the push is onto DX12U)

• Is FS2020 window (the Windows window with the X to close it at the top right corner) using WS_EX type of flags making DX11 + DWM not running optimally?

• Is FS2020 rendering loop flawed in regard to its use of DX11?

• Add your question to the list, about these very low level and advanced graphics API and Win32/WDM techniques here.

That’s really interesting. Who knows? I’ll check if it works consistently better in the background. I also read in this forum that disabling the rolling cache entirely worked for someone, I’ll try that too!

What GPU driver are you using? Try 457.30. The newer ones stutter for me. I have a similar setup except a 3080.

Thanks but no luck, tried this morning ddu + roll back to 457.30 but I had the very same loading sort of stutter!

Ok, tested with 64gb RAM. Overall performance is a tad smoother - but it might be placebo, but my loading stutters continue like with 32gb ram. Next I am trying to turn off rolling cache to see if the overhead of writing the cache has something to do with these

1 Like

Ok, days of testing (and enjoying the flight sim too!) - upgraded Ram, repasted CPU, news fans installed (CPU was overheating anyway) - all great and performance is better. Tried all lassoes, background optimization, NVpanel settings, etc - no cure.
I still get these microstutters/load stutters - fewer after the upgrade but I still get them.

So I started fiddling with in game settings. No setting changes anything but ONE: TERRAIN LOD. If I put it to minimum I get 0 micro/loading stutters. At 200 I get the worst. Again this is not frame rate drops, it is stutters due to the image freezing for a split second (sometimes a full second), as if it had a delay loading the next one.

Terrain LOD at 100 gives a decent balance of quality and stutters, but I still get them.
Is this a bug / lack of texture loading optimisation?
Is there a workaround? I really like Terrain LOD at 200!
Thanks.

Terrain LOD is what affects the CPU a lot. Hence why I run it at 100 even with a 3090. You will find that with terrain LOD 200, the CPU main thread will keep spiking to 100% causing the stutters. I am not sure who these people are that are pushing it higher than 200, but they must have a good stomach for stuttering…

Indeed, I even get the stutters in 2d with LOD at 200. I also get them sometimes at 100 though it’s very annoying. At lower levels the loss of details is not worth it though.

Get the extended tree mod and you barely notice the difference between 100 an 200.

This one?
https://www.flightsimulator.blog/2021/02/18/trees-draw-distance-fix/

Yes that’s the one

I tried it but unfortunately it gives me lots of stutter - more than setting LOD to 200!

1 Like

Ok, so now I think I am just going crazy. And believe me I love this and I am thoroughly enjoying, not trying to squeeze the best quality possible.
I am testing mostly in the Alps Bush Trip.
Now I just played 20 minutes: perfect. Couple of stutters, nothing major. Yesterday evening. Everything the same: stutters like crazy.
What variables could make it stutter only sometime?

• VFR and Nav overlays OFF`: indeed this helps. With them on there is a little more stutter
  • Connection: yesterday someone was watching a streaming video. So today I tried downloading a large file - saturated the bandwidth - some more stutters but nothing major.
  • Could it be the server ping? Unstable connection?
  • Temperatures? I check with HWInfo and now that I repasted CPU stays under 70 degrees at full load, same for GPU.
    Any further clues?

PS: I am temped to try with my quest 2 with v27 to see if these continue with another headset…

My connection is fiber 300Mbit/s both way and I suffer the same. I have this problem from sessions to sessions and I think a lot of us see this inconsistency according forums. My best bet is on the MS servers sometimes having some pain to serve all of us, even if the ping is correct. In any case I’m also pretty confident on my machine and know it pretty well. I did twice the CPU thermal paste this month and once the GPU to lower my temps and changed all my fan to get a better airflow (successfully, I saved 10/12 degrees mainly). So be assured this probably don’t come from your machine.

I’ve been wondering about this problem where experience changes depending on the day and/or session.

Are you all using MP and seeing other players? I do always and I’ve been suspecting one possible cause could be displaying other MP.

In effect, the only thing which could vary, unless there is a bug in the code randomly making the experience a misery, is the type of aircraft model displaying for other MP and it is possible in this case 1 or more stock model the simulator is using as a substitution is causing performance problems (bug in the model geometry, too much polygons saturating, an unsupported tag or animation or light, etc…).

Otherwise it is possible 1 or more aircraft MP are flying are port from FSX or FS2020 developed aircraft for which the substitution is causing side effects in performance.

This is also one reason I’m recommending the following you might want to support:

Multiplayer: display other players actual aircraft 3D models and liveries around you

That’s a good point. I am in a bush trip at the moment so not sure if I can even see other players. Now it’s been working flawlessly for an hour. I then CTRL-TAB out of VR to check power plan. CTRL-TAB back in - miserable experience. REstarted the computer and it took ages to load the game and started with server at 40ms ping (vs 16 normal). There must be something to this. I have now disabled MP from the General - Data menu, let’s see!