Sky and Clouds are too bright

The Nvidia Freestyle doesn’t work in VR, at least it didn’t work when I tried some time ago.

Thanks for the quick reply, and too bad as that would have been a nice fix for this issue.

There is a brightness adjuster in OpenVR Advanced, but this only works in SteamVR, not WMR. It’s simply unbelievable that Microsoft’s WMR or Asobo have not provided adjustments for brightness, contrast, saturation, colour temperature etc for VR. Especially as people may have varying degrees of colour blindness or other problems. I’m really, really disgusted that this should even be an issue in 2021.

VR really is stuck in the stoned age at the moment. :wink:

Edit: Wait a minute one of the lead devs at Asobo says he only flies in VR himself. Maybe we could contact him directly and ask what’s going on and can they please do something to fix this.

3 Likes

Is it possible to use the OpenVR Advanced with a Oculus Quest 2? How good is the brightness adjuster? The problem is that everything else looks good, but the sky and clouds are very bright, specially when looking in the sun direction. If you turn the brightness down with OpenVR advanced, will everything else look dark?

I have no idea, unfortunately. I only made mention of this possibility after stumbling upon it with a Google search for ways to adjust settings in VR.

Not only are the clouds too bright, the whole scene is too bright in my G2. Also, after the Sim5 update, I have green and magenta colors in the clouds. For a long time I have been flying the same distance for practice. Sometimes it works, sometimes the program crashes, without which I have changed anything. For me, the whole update is a step backwards and at the moment it’s not really fun to fly in MSFS … because after every random CTD you have to sit in front of the monitor forever and wait, until the program is ready to start again.
(10900K/64GB/RTX3090)

2 Likes

Just want to add my vote. Nearly unfyable in some planes at some time / weather combinations. Sunglasses are badly needed!

1 Like

I also experienced this. And i found sitting in an A320 above the clouds you could only see a white screen! Getting nearer to the windshield or looking from external view makes it better, it seems there is some algortihm actively changing contrast and broightness. So sad, they have the best clouds, but they dont show it!!!
Please fix this!! Look through the TBM “Sunglasses” on the top of the windshield → then you can see them! So sunglasses (like the Pilot models have) would perhaps be nice or some other fix.

1 Like

Same here with a Reverb G2.
The sky was always overexposed in VR, but with SU5 it’s so bad that I will wait for an update before I fly again in VR :pensive:

1 Like

Exactly. It’s not simply a “too bright” issue, we all have different eyes, headsets, tastes … We need these adjustments in the WMR Tool.

3 Likes

Is it any better with the hotfix? Didn’t have time to test it out.

1 Like

Hotfix 2 installed and it seems to be even worse now

I think it is the same than before. See my Picture in an A320 at 12:00 at EDDF. You nearly can not see the difference between sky and cloud. (Bloom off, but with bloom on the same).
This is just the same in the headset and i think also without VR.
If you go to outside view it is much better.

I think a kind of Auto-HDR mechanism like on a camera would be nice!

1 Like

Not for me. Still the very same over exposed image in VR. HP Reverb G1.

1 Like

Yeah,i have to use Geforce experence to correct a bit to fly now !

Does it work in VR?

This isn’t going to work with flying in VR.

any update on this? in VR outside overexposed…cockpit fine

For the risk of repeating myself.

The problem is not the sky or the clouds, the problem are the missing sunglasses.

You can improve your observation with Mugz tbm930 mod that have moveable visors.

The sky itself is as bright as the real one. But every pilot have sunglasses at his hands just for this reason.

The most incomprehensible at all is that everything is already in the code but for some reason it is deactivated.

Head-wall-pain…head-wall-pain…

4 Likes

Yeah I remember CptLucky8 asking for it … A “sunglasses” mode in MSFS itself that drops exposure by 1 step would go a long way to help for this issue. Of course it would not replace a full exposure/color correction stack on the WMR layer.

Having both would be ideal. :slight_smile:

2 Likes