SLI for VR Support Please

Multi GPU and SLI support for VR has been around for some time. It improves performance allowing higher rendering resolutions AND lowers latency between frames. This will make the MSFS VR experience more photorealistic and smoother and thus more immersive compared to single card configurations. MSFS VR users can immensely benefit from this if they have the correct video card.
Current and Future SLI owners will only need Microsoft developers to enable SLI support in MSFS 2020 by utilizing Nvidia VRWorks (NVIDIA VRWorks™ Graphics | NVIDIA Developer).

Not utilizing this since launch is a missed opportunity considering how resource-demanding MSFS is and considering how many hardcore simmers MSFS have.

The following video explains this setup:

Video cards that support SLI:

GeForce RTX 3090
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER
GeForce RTX 2080
GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
Nvidia Titan Xp
GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Nvidia Titan X
GeForce GTX 1080
GeForce GTX 1070
GeForce GTX TITAN X
GeForce GTX 980 Ti
GeForce GTX 980
GeForce GTX 970
GeForce GTX 960
GeForce GTX 950
GeForce GTX TITAN
GeForce GTX 780 Ti
GeForce GTX 780
GeForce GTX 770
GeForce GTX 760 Ti
GeForce GTX 760
GeForce GTX 690
GeForce GTX 680
GeForce GTX 670
GeForce GTX 660 Ti
GeForce GTX 660
GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST
GeForce GTX 480
GeForce GTX 470
GeForce GTX 465
GeForce GTX 460
GeForce GTX 460 SE
GeForce GTS 450
GeForce GTX 555 (OEM)
GeForce GTX 560 Ti (OEM)
GeForce GTX 560
GeForce GTX 550 Ti
GeForce GTX 590
GeForce GTX 660
GeForce GTX 560 Ti
GeForce GTX 545 GDDR5
GeForce GTX DDR3
GeForce GTX 570
GeForce 9800 GT
GeForce GTX 580
GeForce 9600 GT
GeForce 8500 GT
GeForce 8600 GTS
GeForce 8600 GT
GeForce 8400 GS
GeForce GTX 275X
GeForce GTS 150
GeForce GT 130
GeForce GT 120
GeForce GTS 250
GeForce GTX 285
GeForce GTX 295
GeForce GTX 295
GeForce 8800 ULTRA
GeForce GTX 280
GeForce 8800 GTX
GeForce 9800 GX2
GeForce GTX 260
GeForce 9400 GT
GeForce 9500 GT
GeForce 9800 GTX
GeForce 9800 GTX+

SLI for VR are dead. Nvidia stopped developing it years ago.

2 Likes

SLI is dead…welcome to the club.
Along with us 3D Vision users.:rofl:

2 Likes

IMHO this would be a waste of coding time to implement, using dual GPUs has become a thing of the past as the manufacturers have pushed single card usage much more in recent years.

1 Like

SLI for gaming is dead. Get over it.

5 Likes

I share your desire for the best performance but I believe it can, in time, be done without using SLI, assuming that were still a thing.

If it were to be implemented then Asobo and other sim developers may see that as the new way forward and stop attempting to optimise single card performance.

As things currently stand, they’re working on getting great performance out of one card with tweaks and substantive improvements such as DX12. This is way cheaper than needing two 3090’s. Careful what you wish for.

1 Like

Anyone ever try 3090s in nvlink and setting SLI-enabling variables with profile inspector?

Why would you???

SLI and the like have pretty much gone the way of the dodo for gaming…. The last SLI setup I had was 2x 980Ti and even back then support in actual games rather than benchmarking or demos was really dying.

A very small handful of actual games supported VR SLI (most croteam titles mainly iirc) but since then to my knowledge Nvidia hasn’t done any further development and have even removed the actual ability to even use SLI on their ampere line (all except for the 3090). You’ll note for example that the Nvidia VRworks VR SLI API only supports DX11 (plus OpenGL and Vulcan), and given the engine is moving to DX12 shortly it likely isn’t even usable without substantial work. Given Nvidia have all but dropped SLI support on their own product line it is highly unlikely they continue to develop it either.

Also note it is only compatible with maxwell and later, which deletes the vast majority of your list of supposedly compatible GPUs… they are SLI compatible but not VR SLI compatible. Not that they would be relevant anyway as they can’t run DX12 and MSFS DX11 support will be switched off in the not so distant future.

The next step on the GPU front instead will be larger MCM GPUs which are essentially invisible to the game engine and instead addressed as a single larger GPU… allegedly should see that arriving with the next generation of Navi from AMD, and probably not until Hopper for Nvidia which will be a generation later.

Spending time trying to support VR SLI would be time and resources spent on what was always a very niche (and now even more so) hardware setup which has a very limited present and no future. Even when it was “current” developer support was abysmal, now that it’s largely consigned to the history books for gaming I don’t see that situation improving… instead the industry is headed towards MCM and more efficient APIs, alongside ML based up sampling techniques on the GPU front, and for VR likely combining it with dynamic foveated rendering along with eye tracking on the HMD side for potentially large performance wins.

Their time, in my opinion, would be much better spent adding support for advanced DX12U features that have the potential to greatly assist VR performance (as well as flat screen!) for a much greater proportion of the user base such as sampler feedback, variable rate shading, mesh shaders, ML based up sampling etc and will continue to be relevant for years across both current and future generations of hardware.

Well then, let’s call it what we want SLI in 2 or 3 graphics cards, MultiGPU, etc. We already had this problem 20 years ago when we realised that we couldn’t increase the clock frequency of the CPU. It was clear to me long before that multi-CPU motherboards would disappear (yes I know they are still there ;-)) and the cores would be integrated into one housing.
Of course, even two old gtx1070s can’t compare to what a 3080 or 3090 can render. Although I was amazed at the performance of the gtx1070 when you run it with a current high-end CPU. So the current high-end graphics cards can definitely do a bit more if we had even faster CPUs.
In short, if 4k 8k monitors or like the Pimax 2x4K and soon 2x6K are offered, I also want a graphics card that can handle that or the possibility to handle multiple cards at the same time.
My PC has everything that is currently possible and my Pimax 8Kx runs, let’s say, pretty well. But far from 100%.

Note: if someone had told me 5 years ago that I would be able to fly in a flight simulator like this today, I would only have had a thin smile on my face.

If I had the performance of a 3080TI or 3090 for the left and right monitor separately, the result would probably be to my complete satisfaction.

And why should Nvidia be responsible for that. Regardless of whether VR or multi-monitor operation. Why should the Fs2020 not support 2 graphics cards. No matter what SLI or anything else. If I have several CPU cores in which synchronised, independent tasks run, according to Toyota :wink: it should be possible in “this day and age”.

Microsoft’s flight simulator has always been a challenge for the hardware, but never has the visibility been so good. So the hardware has already caught up a lot. :slight_smile:

Happy flying! :slight_smile:

And to the beloved developer team: With the FS2020 as Game of the Year, you have already shown what is possible. But as far as hardware support is concerned, old versions were already further ahead. So be trendsetters there, too. :slight_smile:
Not even my old Force Feedback II from Micrsoft is supported and although there is a setting for it: There is no feedback in the fingers. :’’’-(

I think the reason SLI is dead is because the manufacturers saw where the technology was headed. AMD is about to make it irrelevant and you can bet Nvidia is working the idea and will have something similar soon thereafter.

AMD’s next GPU will have multiple chips built into it. Essentially it will have 2 GPU’s merged into one card. The biggest benefit is that no software will need to be written specially to take advantage of it like is needed for SLI. AMD already introduced this with their chips using the “infinity fabric” technology to connect multiple CPU’s, and a similar technology will do the same for GPU’s.

This will be huge for the future just like we have CPU’s with many many cores the same will happen for GPU’s thus eliminating the need for SLI.