Slow Download Speed Megathread

Hey, I joined just to say: thank you so much for posting this! I was stuck on ~5 Mbit downloading for a day and now I get up to 80. I put my download on pause and install warp and it just worked!

I wonder is there any downside to keep using WARP or should I remove it after my FS download is finished? I didn’t have any download speed issues before except for the FS installer.

1 Like

WARP change your DNS to Cloudflare and offer a VPN. So, the reason for limited download is most propally your ISP. You can try to change only the DNS to 1.1.1.1 or others like 8.8.8.8 ( its some time recommended in the topic , e.g. Slow Download Speed Megathread - #148 by MichaMMA ( also nearby a how to ) ) and with bit luck the VPN is not necessary. Or you can speak with your ISP.
Downsides of a VPN: usually additional costs if you not want slower speed than before. Providers often collect data. All traffic go through that servers, so you depend on that. Some time issues because of again somewhat is blocked ( e.g. because your ‘virtual’ location )… etc…

1 Like

if you have a lenovo pc, and none of the above solved your problem.

Go to > “lenovo ventage” software and turn of “network boost” and “wifi security”. MAGIC!

3 months trying to solve it, today I did it.

1 Like

Good find :slight_smile:

First post on this forum :slight_smile: I was getting network time outs and overall very bad performance and when I did a standard speed test I saw 300MB download but only 1 or 2mb upload but other devices on my network got 300MB up and down which is what I pay for. I disabled IPv6 on my network adaptor and it fixed the problem. MSFS works fine and my upload and download are now the same.

2 Likes

I needed to re-download MSFS from scratch this week and was consistently getting 2.5 Mbps on average. I have the Virgin 1Gbps package.

Nothing worked from this forum to raise the speeds. I tried several VPN’s, flushed DNS, port forward’s, autotuning, deleting rollingcache, connecting straight to my router, connecting to a mobile hotspot and changing DNS settings. Nothing worked.

So today the download finished and the game installed. I checked the in game settings for bandwidth speed and found it was set to 5Mbps maximum speed. Why would Microsoft set this as default for a massive download? I changed the setting and marketplace downloads were done in minutes.

1 Like

did you mean the in-game bandwith settings ?

There is no limit per default, users set this by itself. There are topics where it is mentioned that the in-game limits also affects the downloader.

I whish they would atleast download the files in paralell, not one at a time, but well… that was something FTP programs could do in 1998 so MS cannot be expected to have discovered this technology yet.

3 Likes

It’s really not a pity that such a big company has challenged people like this? Why do you force people to suffer so much for a trivial problem like the first people? Well, reduce the size of these packages with compression algorithms and Put it on Microsoft’s official site for those who have original games to download and copy them to the game folder to experience a better speed. I live in Iran with the ■■■■ government’s filtering, I have a speed of 0.40 Mbit, isn’t it a shame? After 5 days, I still have downloaded 20 gigs. Really, if I am an employee of the company and read this topic, I will change the update process tonight, we are already tired.

4 Likes

This is still a shocking experience. :frowning:

I was able to increase the speed to 40mbit with Warp VPN and improve decompression with the netlimiter program and setting the download speed to 5mb.

I’m still trying to install, I hope I succeed

1 Like

thx, now have 10-7 mbits from 0,4 mbits

1 Like

Tried so many ideas from tons of forums and the only thing that worked is a VPN! I used the free 24 hour trial from cyberghost 8. No credit card info, just make an account and verify via email. Really sucks that microsoft makes such a great game but can’t back it up with reasonable support. Must be because they’re too busy ruining the world in every other aspect of life.

If the VPN worked then it sounds like your ISP is throttling your download speed. So why do you think MS is not providing good support?

3 days ago i reached 90mbit on content manager, xbox. This never ever happened before, max it was 10-30mbit. I was shocked and i hardly believe there is a throttling going on, either isp, in the middle of chain or at the end. Just like Nvidia GeForce NOW. I had evidence GFN was throttling users as needed when servers hammered (some regions was throttled to ground), but i have no proof here. At the end it is a nightmare.

May be i am lucky but i always get 100% speed when download from Asobo , so it´s your Providers Servers or some before them, so it depends of whare you live ~

HB

I had 50 mb Internet speed and On content manager I was downloading with 30 mb speed,
I thought it was normal. I changed my Internet speed to 200 mbps but the downloading speed, is still 30 mbps. Am I doing something wrong from the settings of the msfs?

I noticed this. I don’t know that this is MY problem since I’m sitting all day and night for the initial install… but there’s no way to get in to the game to see if this setting is effected.

My god… I’m getting 40-180 mb/s, but it’s still awful. I have 1000 mb/s internet. Tried everything else. It mostly sits in well under 100 mb/s. Very frustrating for having fast internet to sit for hours and hours with no control.

If VPN solves, then does that say the problem is their MSN servers are bottle-necked? Like VPN basically routes you through another location, correct? IDK what else explains why VPN works.

No way that’s true. Read all the posts, no chance that everyone experiences this issue only with MFS and it’s their provider. Seems MFS servers get bottlenecked depending where you live so VPN routes you around the bottlenecks to faster servers.