I have a few suggestions for people to try that will hopefully at least help some people to get download speeds improved.
I’ve posted some of this this in a few threads since the SU5 update. But here’s the full story.
I live in the UK and am lucky enough to have a Virgin Media cable connection of 300MBps Down/ 30Mbps Up. I originally downloaded the game on the first day of it’s release in August 2020.
I managed to download the whole installation in about 2 hours with the max speed shown on some of the larger files at over 250MBps.
Subsequent updates all downloaded very quickly and in line with my expectations of a 300MBps connection.
However sometime around SU3 I was suddenly getting around 10-30 MBps even though my speed was testing out ok on several different test sites.
It’s been like that on all the updates (world and sim) since then.
I just assumed it was either the servers being overloaded or maybe my ISP was throttling certain types of traffic, I did contact them and they denied any throttling.
For SU5 I decided to see what I was getting and if it was still slow see if I could do anything about it.
I started the download and it was pretty slow at between 5 and 30Mbps, left it running while I cooked my dinner and checked again about an hour later to find it had only managed about 4%.
I googled some previous suggestions on slow speeds and with a bit of tweaking I got my connection back up to full speed.
Since MSFS is a Windows app it seems to benefit from the Windows delivery optimisation settings being enabled.
I’m assuming this works a bit like torrents with portions of the files being downloaded from a multitude of PC’s on the net.
Also in one of the official MS posts on download problems it mentions a command prompt command that might help.
In this suggestion it mentions disabling a certain parameter.
I don’t recall changing mine from default but it appears I had got this set to disabled. I found that setting it back to normal again along with the Windows delivery optimisations jumped my speed up from 30 to 300 MBps again.
Obviously I can’t say it will fix anyone elses problems as there are so many variables, but here’s what I did to get mine back to normal.
First off from Windows settings go to update & security
Then select delivery optimisation
Then set allow downloads from other PC’s and also PC’s on my local network and on the internet.
Then go to advanced options and set as per picture.
Next open up a command prompt as administrator (google this if you aren’t sure how.
And type this command
Now this is where it gets a bit uncertain in that the autotuning level=normal part is usually the default setting so you may already be set with that but I had it set to disabled.
So if you don’t see any change try setting it to disabled first then back to normal again.
After I’d done that (whilst the download was still running by the way) is suddenly started increasing in speed up to about 70 at first then after 10 minutes I was getting the full 300MBps.
I hope this helps some of you, good luck