Small parameter check that can improve your graphics

I make this post because I understood yesterday, by chance, why for a few weeks my graphics were filthy, why the landscapes were loading as and when my flight etc … by going for a walk in the “data” parameters, I discovered that the place dedicated to the directory of my cache (not the manual cache, the basic cache) was only 8 GB … I raised it to 50 GB, and since then I feel like rediscover the game as it is so beautiful haha

Check from your side, it doesn’t cost anything, and it can only improve your graphics :slight_smile:

Good flight!

1 Like

And this parameter is where located?

1 Like

should be in:

-> Settings -> Data

Are you trying to suggest that we raise our “Rolling Cache” to 50 GB?

If so, you might want to experiment with turning the “Rolling Cache” off and deleting it. Many, including myself, have found that action to eliminate things like stutters and bad looking textures. Your mileage may vary.

2 Likes

could you be a bit more specifi please?

sure

go to settings -> Data -> Rolling Cache Limit

Local Cache

Ah, the Rolling Cache. That was not clear stated in his post.
I’ve turned it off from beginning my journey as it reduces Stutters and Lags for me too.

2 Likes

Rolling Cache should be turned off for best performance, maybe it is better to use it if you only have 8-16gb Ram or a slow HD.

Sorry if my post was not perfectly clear :stuck_out_tongue: I think it depends on each setup, but on mine it clearly improved things :slight_smile:

Turning off the cache for increased performance depends on your internet speed.
With a slower speed internet, the cache will have better performance, as the files are already available and don’t need to be downloaded.

My Understanding is (and I may well be wrong ) :-

The bigger the cache, the longer it takes to see if what you want is there.

When that search time exceeds the time it would take to get a new copy over the Internet, then you cache is actually slowing you down.

When this happens , depends on your Internet speed, and how responsive the MS scenery server is at any particular time,

2 Likes

I was a firm believer in the rolling cache since I typically travel the same routes often in regions with photogrammetry. After all, Seb directly said in a Q&A it should be left on and set to (if I remember correctly) 32GB at most. And it makes sense. It should be much faster to access stuff locally, particularly if you have fast storage, than to stream it.

Despite that (and messing with the cache size making it both larger and smaller), I would see bad photogrammetry with everything looking like a post flame-thrower apocalypse melted Lego landscape. Initially stuff looked great, but some change that came about the time of the Japan update changed it and since then I started having these photogrammetry issues. Sometimes stuff would get fully drawn in, sometimes not. And after the last update (Sim Update 2), I started getting severe stuttering when entering photogrammetry areas, despite the fact that the point of the ■■■■ cache is to have faster access to previously saved data. I had never experienced this stuttering before. At least not in any regular, noticeable fashion.

So I decided I would try turning off the rolling cache altogether to see if there was a difference. Lo and behold, I no longer have photogrammetry issues. Buildings and trees load in as they should instead of looking like ugly melted blobs until I’m right over them, and with my LOD at 200, I’m no longer seeing things being drawn in as I approach them. I’m now flying into fully rendered areas that look fantastic. And the stuttering I was experiencing is gone too. It would appear that it’s faster for me to stream the data in real time than it is to access it cached on my drive.

To be clear, I have my rolling and manual caches on a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD along with my game content (main drive that contains the core program files is a 1TB 970 EVO NVMe). So it’s not a local issue where the data is stored on a slow drive. The only way it could be accessed faster is if it was on a RAID array or a RAM drive.

I have a feeling that the rolling cache doesn’t function as Asobo intended to. If you have a slow internet connection, then I can see the rolling cache being beneficial. But if you have a good high speed connection, it would appear that turning it off provides better results.

In theory, that’s correct. But with a fast drive, it should still be quicker than streaming it in, even with a fast connection. “SHOULD” being the operative word there. I don’t think it works as it was intended, even with smaller cache sizes.

I had those exact same stutters and turning mine off worked for me as well.

1 Like

Rolling cache should be turned off for best experience. Besides why even bother with it? It only takes precious space on SSD which is expensive.

A few weeks ago I opted-out the process flightsimulator.exe from windows defender, which reduces my stutters.

A short test with rolling change enabled seems that also here the stutters and the framerate-drops are eliminated.

1 Like

@blueline308, I’m not sure how that can possibly accomplish any improvement. Either you have the data cached on your disk, or you do not, and if you do, I don’t care how fast your Internet is, a disk drive (even a spinner, but spinners have no business being used for anything related to FS2020) is still faster than getting it off the wire.

I think the issue is what we, the players, think rolling cache is or should be, versus what the programming crowd made it for. Apparently, it is only useful when flying over the same area again and again, so it would be more friendly to slower internet speeds. I have no clue how many square miles it caches or to what level of detail.

What I thought it would do was, based on your place in the world, pre-fetch elements that you were likely to be approaching, based on factors like heading, speed altitude, flight plan, etc.

The only thing that I can tell you is that for me, turning it off makes for a smoother experience. Many others have witnessed similar results too. Heck, try it you may like it…if not, turn it back on.

1 Like

Like I said earlier in this thread. I used to be a believer in the benefits of the cache since I fly over the same photogrammetry areas regularly. Turning it off got rid of my melted buildings completely and got rid of the bad stutters I was experiencing since Sim Update 2.

I don’t think the cache is working as it’s intended to.