Small question about Motion Reprojection

Greetings guys!

I do have a stupid question regarding Motion Reprojection that i always been confused since i actualy started flying MSFS.

So i am using a Reverb G2 and apps i am using re:

Of course Windows Mixed REality
OpenXR Tools For Windwos Mixed Reality
OpenXR Toolkit Companion

Question is, where do we turn on the MR as, there is one in OpenXR Tools, on in the OpenXR Toolkit in game Menu/Overlay, and also one in MSFS VR Settings… As for now, i am not even sure if i use any, as it is off in MSFS Settings, off in OpenXR Toolkit and in OpenXR Tools set usualy to Best Frame Rate… But not sure if any stuff i do is properly done.

What would be the best practice with the apps i am using.

Thanks!

1 Like

Both the OpenXR Tools and the OpenXR Toolkit do the same thing; they enable MR in OpenXR. WMR uses Temporal and Spatial reprojection. The Game setting for Reprojection Mode = Depth adds Depth Reprojection. The setting in the game for Reprojection Mode = Depth and Motion doesn’t work right now because no headsets support Motion yet. My understanding.

@OldpondGL thanks!

But what is the best practice, they do both, but which one is the best to activate it onto, i am trying to understand how to set my stuff :slight_smile: as mentionned i am confused as we can turn it on everywhere, so if i understand, in game is a no go, both toolkit does the same, but which one is best turned on, as for now, when i turn it on in Tools, no matter if i use best framerate, 1/2, 1/3 or /14, does not seems to do anything versus when i set it disable. When i turn it on the toolkit overlay settings, everything goes crazy, not just artifact, but the whole screen, eyes or what ever we can call it, acts as if there was displacement going everywhere as if i was looking through a heat steam or in other words, as if i would stand behind a jet Nozzle :slight_smile:

Yes, MR is not the best right now. I don’t use it.

If I were to use it here are my settings:
Set Headset to 60hz.
Enable MR in OpenXR Tools and lock to 1/2 refresh rate. This will run at 30fps and only create one reprojected frame for every headset refresh.
Enable Reprojection Mode = Depth in game settings.
The only thing I use OpenXR Toolkit for is the FPS counter.
Use TAA for Antialiasing, or try DLSS DLAA. I find scaling does not play well with MR.

mbucchia just corrected my understanding.
MR off, Repro Depth is a good combination
MR on, Repro Depth is ignored.

Testing according all your combination, but for now i can say that 60hz was a no go, made me feel weird, i can deal with a 30 FPS, i do not need 45+ like many, i guess my eyes got used from doing motion design between 24-30 fps got my eyes used to it. But 60hz really made me feel weird.

The other option, seems like i do not see difference between any Frame rate limitation i choose in OpenXR Tools, even trying to see if i tick Limit over latency and Disable or not Nvidia optical Flow makes a difference, even all the difference in game of the many different DLSS seems to game roughly same result, the real i fly or test, is around Montreal, i guess i will try over NY to see as ref as many people uses it to test. I would say average is around 22-25, but lots of fluctuation droping around 15fps, i cannot have a steady 30 fps as many seems to have.

You must be used to high refresh monitors. I’ve been using 60hz monitors forever, so it doesn’t bother me.

If you can’t maintain 30fps your settings are too high.

I wish they would document this stuff instead of leaving it buried in the forums. My understanding of Prefer Framerate over Latency is that it’s like Vsync Fast; it sends the frames as soon as they are ready and ignores the headset timing. Disable Nvidia Optical Flow is a mystery. I’m guessing that the GPU and WMR are both doing some form of motion repro, and they get in each other’s way? I’m not sure. I’m going to try MR off, Repro Mode Depth today.

@OldpondGL i found the blow thread that explains a bit, but when ti gets technical i am having issues to unserstand…

but now i am even more lost, when i turn my OpenXR tools Frame Timing Overlay to see the window, which is the same as the post linked below, my window is neither blue or green as is, it is read, while for him the 3 first lines (App Cpu/GPU: etc…) shows on his blue screenshot, 445hz / 90 hz, while on the green 89.96hz and 89.99 hz so roughly 90 hz, while on my side, it is red and it reads average (i get aprox App Cpu/Gpu: 42 / 42ms 23hz for line 1, as for line and for line 3 i get Post Cpu/Gpu: 0.45/0.20ms 22hz, for Pose Age i get 135 ms … I feel really stupid when it gets to VR settings, all i know if, no matter what i do, turn Upscale off in OpenXR Toolkit or on using CAS remains the same almost, or if i use DLSS of any options or TAA, FPS remains mostly all the same. In the overlay for me it only shows as Full in the Compositor Type, even if in OpenXT Tools i turn MR on at 1/2 Frame Rate i get no NVOF10tS nor DXMV16T.

I tried so many settings with so many video found, is it possible i played with a setting that limit me stuff?

Again i feel really stupid as i am confused with all these possibilities, and the more thread i find the more confused i get with everyones own settings etc…

1 Like

Easy way to find out is to disable OpenXR Toolkit in the OpenXR Toolkit Companion App, Restore defaults in the Nvidia control panel (both on the Global and Program tab under Manager 3d settings), and Reset to Defaults in the Game Graphics Options. Restart the computer and sim. Choose a discovery flight away from the big cities with a simple plane like the C152. This is your baseline to make sure everything is installed correctly.
When testing, make sure to change only one setting at a time. This will keep you from getting lost in the maze of settings. If you don’t like the result, set it back and change another setting.
Post the specs of your computer. Someone with similar specs will recommend good settings for your hardware.

Hi folks,
Here is the way i have MR setup on my machine. Open up Open xr tools for windows mixed reality check use current runtime. Check custom render scale box and set it between 80 and 100%. I have mine set to 80%. motion reprojection is set either to best frame rate or 1/2 frame rate. I still endup with 30fps but it holds up pretty well except big cities. you qill get some artifacts and wobbly stuff on wings on the ground but when in the air looks perfect. uncheck nvidia optical flow, i find that produces more wobbly stuff. Do check prefer frame rate over latency that is like turbo mode in open xr toolkit. and works well in open xr for windows mixed reality turbo mode in the toolkit does not work with reprojection in open xr tool kit

Now within in openxr toolkit where you see motion reprojection select default. the default setting is to use the openxr tools for windows mixed reality motion reprojection. the Off setting is of course Off. the On is using the motion reprojection setting within the openxr toolkit. using the openxr toolkit reprojection make sure turbo is off and shaking reducttion is off or can get away with 10% so you dont see your heart beat in your headset. hopwfully this will help you to get you going with motion reprojection
my rig is an I 9 11900k 32 gb Rtx 3080

1 Like

@CrazyHippie1968 Thanks for the tips.

But on my side, since i posted, i end up not using MR anymore, with some other tips found on the forum, i found out when i bought my PC Built it was set to Power Saver power plan, ever since i set it up to Balanced i do not have same issues with FPS, before it was going as low as 15 ish FPS, now the lower it goes is 35ish FPS (Either high settings across or Ultra settings, but i went with high and some med as some of those settings, the difference is so barely noticeable and it can gives me some few FPS)

I tried with MR and the only really time i see it helps a bit is when i down besides me when i fly (i fly mainly choppers for now the HPG H145 that is roughly taking around 8-10 FPS versus default Bell 407) with MR it is smoother, but most of the time i do not always look below me when i fly so i went with MR off so it goes average 40 FPS. (i am personally happy with 30-35 FPS, if i get more, fine, but i do not need 1 billion FPS to be happy)

But i did found out that in the Open XR Toolkit, if you out MR Off it indeed forces it off, so even if you put MR on in OpenXR Tools, OXRTK will force it off, so it needs as you said, set to default, when i did my test i never understood why when i had the OpenXR Tool Display frame timing overlay, no matter option i took, MR was always off, then found out i had it off in OXRTK and once i made it default, voila… stupid error of my side :slight_smile: