So it's fair to say...You really can't play VR unless you have a top of the line PC

can you link me to a source? i cannot imagine that to be the case.

I can still try the Tray Tool but last time I used it the performance seemed bad with stutters and the feel of colour distortion. In retrospect, maybe it’s because the Tray Tool truly disabled ASW?

I used Oculus Debug Tool instead: first opened it (normally in Admin mode) and changed the ASW to disabled. Then, left the window open and started Oculus client. Then I started MSFS, normally from desktop, selected departure, etc., clicked to fly, let it pause, switched to VR, then put on headset.

Maybe as you said, I didn’t actually disable ASW, However, the pixel density setting in ODT was certainly working as intended.

no need to guess since i see a massive difference between these 30/60/90 fps examples (especially in the “background”). just wondering why you wouldn’t. no offense.

I have a very similar rig as yours and am able to fly VR quite smoothly. 32GB RAM, Ryzen 5 3600, RTX 2060, Oculus Rift S.

1 Like

Is anyone here running an i5 8400 I am concerned that cpu may not handle it well!

Yep 2080Ti user also and I also have OXR 60%, MSFS TAA is at 90% so I can get some performance back there but in the G2 everything looks amazing and clear. I also went back to reprojection (“Always on”) but here’s the trick turn off “use latest OpenXR runtime” - you lose the third frame in the reprojection but it improves the artifacts you get around the prop slightly and makes reprojection more bareable.

My only grip is I can’t get rid of an annoying hitch in frames every couple of seconds or so to make things completely smooth but it’s smooth (it’s less of an issue the higher you are though) apart from that. Hoping DX12 will resolve that issue and it should as the pipeline is completely redone to be more thread friendly.

I have a i7 7700k and a 1080 gpu. I can use vr with the reverb g2. Its very important to use a older nvidia driver. The new drivers make the perf bad. Use driver from august.

With a 2080TI you should have strong super sampling capabilities (it seems to me all ‘TI’ cards much better at anything super sampling than non-‘TI’), which gives you a few more options. I also find TAA render scaling maximum gain/pixels is 70%. Anything higher or lower is less efficient (either less visually good or not as big a gain in fps). With this in mind, you might want to try out a few other render scaling strategies.

I’ve recommended the following render scaling settings in general for the G2:

FS2020 OpenXR Comments
TAA 70% SS 70% Well balanced gauges and external visuals with solid fps
TAA 80% SS 60% Best for Airliners where EFIS sharpness is more important than external view
TAA 60% SS 100% Best for analog gauges GA aircraft with super detailed outside view.

My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

I believe you could go TAA 70 SS 100 with the 2080TI without motion reproj. and get much better visuals, or you could use TAA 80 SS 70 and get better visuals than 90/60 you’re using with the same perf overall.

In essence, the trick is finding how much pixels your hardware can push, and then exploit the capability of the CAS Shader which is enlarging the FS2020 render res. into the OpenXR post-process render res. and creating higher details with its local contrast enhancement algorithm.

On my test system, the hardware can push about 2K x 2K rendering res. without motion reproj. (which is about the G2 render res.) and a little more than 1.5K x 1.5K with motion reproj. I’d very much like to know how the 2080TI is running when fine tuning all this.

1 Like

I get what you are saying - just gone a slightly different route, TAA 90% SS 60% for me provides great clarity for both cockpit and outside views in my G2 and it’s perfect for VFR/Bush flights but does suffer a little in built up areas.

I’ve noticed a strange issue switching SS in OXR sometimes that it gives a strange warping of the image, I had this with SS 50% otherwise it was clear and I would use TAA 90% SS 50% instead.

There is a distortion bug in WMR OXR using SS 50, 55 and 60 with Reproj. This is most likely what you’ve seen.

However using TAA90 is not maximizing it at all because the hardware you’re running and the shader code can give you better at less cost. That’s the whole point balancing these settings.

I’ve posted some finding about this here too:
EFIS resolution depends on render resolution, not post-processing resolution.

And some render resolution facts here:
Comparing Reverb G2 and Valve Index resolution and what does it mean with SteamVR and OpenXR

In other words, if you’re shooting for best EFIS legibility, you rather use TAA100 and adjust OXR SS until your system can’t deliver. This will be much better than TAA90 always.

Otherwise if you’re shooting for best outside details, you rather use TAA70 and OXR SS 100. You might even be surprised with TAA60 + OXR 100 with analogue gauges aircraft (and get much more room for raising other things).

The 70/70 balance is running fine with the 2070S without reproj. and is good overall for inside/outside view details on the Reverb G2, I have no doubt it will run really good on the 2080TI with lots of leeway.

The key in the end is that you’re loosing details for no fps gain in using TAA90, and using TAA70 (with higher OXR SS) or using TAA100 (with lower OXR SS if your card can’t deliver) will give you better visuals and better fps altogether.

NB: Motion Smoothing/Reproj. is computed on the OXR SS render res and when enabling this, you’d have to balance the SS value maybe lower in order to give it room

2 Likes

Saying the 2060 is around a 1080ti is like saying a tuned 150hp car is the same like 300hp :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Could anyone here explain the theory to my why when I looked down I got much lower FPS (from 20 to 5 or so)? Do those have best rigs still obtain decent FPS when they look down to the ground while low flying?

Normally when I look away from the cockpit dials, e.g. to the floor or to an external view, I seem to get better fps. I thought, probably wrongly, that this was because the cpu wasn’t having to show complex cockpit info ???

I really can’t imagine how you are getting that kind of resolution. I hava 9=9900KF with a 32GB and a 2080 Super and and the sim installed on a dedicated SSD ITB and if I try Ultra settings my system will feel the hit.

I think he probably settled down with a stable 18 FPS. For his rig he should have no issue to get stable 18 FPS with most ULTRA graphic settings.

I am now exited to announce that my i7-3770 + 1660 Super + 16G RAM + Oculus Quest 2 + Virtual Desktop + Steam VR worked extremely well for MSFS VR! I could even play aerobatics low over Hong Kong with 80% render scale and HIGH graphical settings! And the frequency is 90HZ!

The only drawback was that image looked not as sharp as in Oculus Rift S with SS = 2. However I felt the color depth was much better. I didn’t test FPS but it should be at least 25. I probably get stable 18 FPS when set render scale as 100%.

The trick was NOT to use Oculus Link cable but rather use Virtual Desktop over a WiFi network. I thought using WiFi would be worse but you know what? It’s 10 times better than using Oculus Link cable. My PC is wired to the WiFi router though, and my router is a decent but old Netgear Orbi.

This experience totally surprised me since I always thought WiFi streaming would be much less efficient than Oculus Link cable. I still cannot explain why, but the truth is that WiFi solution with Quest 2 is much, much better than using Oculus Link. It seems anyone can enjoy MSFS VR now with Quest 2, because I am sure my rig is among the worst.

Below are a few screenshots I took tonight. Flying that aerobatic plane over Hong Kong felt super cool!

3 Likes

I have the same specs, using oculus quest 2 though. What driver do u recommend ? Thanks!

I didn’t change settings that before worked fine with Rift S:

NVidia driver version: 452.06

V-SYNC: OFF

Windows 10 most recent update without that optional creator (?) one.

I didn’t open Oculus Debug Tool or Tray Tool. The only setting I modified within SteamVR for MSFS was the sound: at first it only played headphone sound but not external sound, so I had to modify it to use “headphone audio with VR” or so. SteamVR showed the resolution was about 1800 x 1800, and auto 90HZ.

One strange thing was that at first virtual desktop dashboard refused to disappear so I had to reposition it to my side to be able to see MSFS VR load screen. Then the whole VR FOV just turned with my head?! It’s still live 3D but move with my head. I searched online but got no info, until after I ctrl-tab in or out a few times, suddenly SteamVR kicked in and everything was perfect.

You can usually get rid of that dashboard by pressing the left controller menu button just briefly. I’m sure there’s a function key for it but can’t remember which one.

Edit - think it’s Pause key - looking at this - which is a few years old:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.