So it's fair to say...You really can't play VR unless you have a top of the line PC

I am now exited to announce that my i7-3770 + 1660 Super + 16G RAM + Oculus Quest 2 + Virtual Desktop + Steam VR worked extremely well for MSFS VR! I could even play aerobatics low over Hong Kong with 80% render scale and HIGH graphical settings! And the frequency is 90HZ!

The only drawback was that image looked not as sharp as in Oculus Rift S with SS = 2. However I felt the color depth was much better. I didn’t test FPS but it should be at least 25. I probably get stable 18 FPS when set render scale as 100%.

The trick was NOT to use Oculus Link cable but rather use Virtual Desktop over a WiFi network. I thought using WiFi would be worse but you know what? It’s 10 times better than using Oculus Link cable. My PC is wired to the WiFi router though, and my router is a decent but old Netgear Orbi.

This experience totally surprised me since I always thought WiFi streaming would be much less efficient than Oculus Link cable. I still cannot explain why, but the truth is that WiFi solution with Quest 2 is much, much better than using Oculus Link. It seems anyone can enjoy MSFS VR now with Quest 2, because I am sure my rig is among the worst.

Below are a few screenshots I took tonight. Flying that aerobatic plane over Hong Kong felt super cool!

3 Likes