So what is the highest frame rate achieved in VR?

So firstly, I love this sim and I’m having a great time, but I seem to spend half my time chasing performance, convinced that with my hardware, I should be doing better…

for reference, I’m running a ryzen 5900x and a 3090, both overclocked slightly, and 64gigs of ram at 3600.
Ive a rift s and a quest 2. The rifts performs ever so slightly better when running an equivalent resolution, approx 2kx2k per eye.

in a non photogrammetry area ( Brighton palace pier for example) I’m getting 40fps tops flying at tree top level in the mb-339. If I climb to altitude and look up at the blue sky, I can get 70 - 80 fps… but that isn’t entirely practical.

most settings are on high, traffic on at at 100%

Is anybody doing better ? if so - please share your setups / settings.

To be able to make basic comparisons, it is not to use paid planes or planes that are part of the Luxury and Premium luxury versions.

Yes! if I fly inverted, I can get 70 - 80 fps looking down, and if I look up however, I’m only getting 40fps tops. I agree it is not practical either :rofl:

I believe you might want to read more topics in this forum and compare your results, and your expectations, with what others are getting… You’d be surprised how many people will be jealous of your system!

1 Like

No idea about frame rate as I have no issue with FPS outside of the major heavy hitter areas NYC,London,LAX,MIA etc etc
My only concern is eliminating sim breaking stutters…
Low FPS isn’t an issue for me in VR the stutters are

1 Like

To the original post: those results are quite good and might be even better if you tweak things using the articles here (there are a few long ones with lots of users settings and results painstakingly researched by a few folks on here — huge thanks to them!). The game isn’t optimized yet for VR and is early days so all of us are seeing growing pains that might go on for a while. But with the system you have that is a very good result from what I have read here and seen on several popular YouTube channels dedicated to VR flight sim. The game is also limited more by cpu than anything so your headset and GPU are not likely a limiter as much as the game doesn’t use multiple cores/threads very well at all and hopefully that improves over time.

Get driver 457.30 if you don’t ready. And read and apply captainlucky8s guide. You should be able to get 45fps+ depending on area etc

1 Like

@CptLucky8 is probably the best to write it down on the forum! It makes it searchable too!

Thanks everybody for taking the time to post. I’ve read CptLucky8 's very helpful guide (and just about everything else performance related on this forum) and I’m mostly running his recommended settings. I’m not running driver 457 as I was under the impression this was not for the 3000 series cards ?
I’m reasonably sure I’ve got the basics covered and most of the trade-offs I’m making are based on visual preference ie reflection quality or super sampling level.
I guess what I’m really interested in is finding out what other people are getting in VR and how they are getting it , to see if there are any outliers that might reveal other factors at play.

1 Like

457.30 are for 3000 series cards except for 3060s I believe.

Ah, great thanks, downloading them now.

Here my settings:

AMD Ryz 5800 / Pallit RTX 3090 / 32gb RAM / M2 970 Evo
Nvidia v 461.40 / v-snyc fast / quest 2 via cable

oculus app to 80hz and 1.4. Somehow its a little bit “crisper” and also better “flow”. Did not check frames but runs smoother

ig Settings rs 100% / detail terrain and data 155% and ultra/ all others on high except cocpit refresh medium and windscreen effects to ultra

runs normaly “smooth” from 19 (seldom in big citys) to 48 fps or higher.

realtime traffic and weather / Airport traffic 54 (more gives too much cars and stuff…kind of unrealistic) / airplanes on ground 100 /workers 54 / ships - cars - 64 / generic airplanes off

What are your settings?

Please, my post is just above yours, reminding the correct spelling…

Apologies CptLucky8 , have edited the post

1 Like

I’m running terrain and object detail sliders at 100, all traffic at 100. texture res at ultra, most other settings at high, grass and bushes at medium. Glass cockpit refresh on lowest setting. Anti aliasing set to TAA.
I’m tending to vary the super sampling level and render resolution depending on whether I’m using my rift S or quest Via link. I get better image quality for any given resolution by setting supersampling higher and resolution to 80 or 90 and letting the TAA up-res the image.
In tests on the quest 2, I’ve tried setting the ss to 1.7 in traytool, and the resolution slider to 200. This produces an image at nearly 6k per eye and looks astonishing… if you can live with 10fps… Roll on the 5090.
Flying at treetop level I seem to be CPU limited to about 40fps irrespective of graphics settings. If I crank everything to ultra I’ll only lose 2-3 fps and only resolutions beyond 2k ish per eye really start to impact frame rate. I take a hit in the big photogrammetry cities - down in the low 20s and generally the higher I get, the higher the frame rate sometimes 80fps at altitude

@DaveGarbett001 I’m in the process of doing a return on the G2. I have a Rift S and am mostly happy with it, but searching for a crisper image outside the cockpit. I use VR for takeoffs and landings, with some sightseeing, on long IFR GA flights. Generally the Baron or 172. I’m working on my instrument rating, so I flop between MSFS for the visuals and X-Plane for training. Is the Q2 enough of a step up from the Rift S to make it worth while?

Specs: 10850K, RTX 3090, 32 GB Ram

Sounds like the settings nearly equal with similar results. So iam not doing it all wrong :slight_smile: I tried the highest resolution too but unfortunately not playable. I wonder if it will a bigger hit on performance if i would use the original oculus cable. But same as you i enjoy the vr gameplay. its awesome

I haven’t used the G2 so I cant make a comparison to that but the quest2 gives a definite bump in clarity over the rift s. It isn’t a night and day difference but is definitely there.
The quest 2 is also tremendous value for money and extremely versatile. It works wirelessly via virtual desktop with negligible loss of quality or added latency with a decent router and there is a 120hz mode incoming any day now. The only downside for me is that compared to the rift s you may lose a couple of frames per second due to the added processing if using the link. If i’m flying the mach loop at treetop level I can maintain 40fps (re-projected to 80) slightly more easily on the Rift s and get a slightly smoother experience. For general aviation stuff I use the quest, often locking to 30fps which gives me the headroom to crank the settings and supersample up to 2.5 - 3k per eye and bask in the extra clarity.
I’d say for the money you cant go too far wrong. You can buy 8 of them for the price of a 3090 nowadays.

1 Like

Thank you sir for the feedback, that is good information.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.