Solution for Stutters & Pauses (updated for SU5)

Have you ever tried to get an empty Community library? Do you use rolling cash?

2 Likes

Hi, yes. I’ve already tried an empty community folder. However, it worked with the addons before. I use 8GB rolling cache. I tried 16GB but it didn’t change anything. That really drives me crazy because everything worked great. The problem seems a bit arbitrary to me

Delete rolling cash just to be sure.

I think i found the problem. The Ai traffic seems to give me problems now. Otherwise I had everything on 50/50 without any problems. Now I have to set the AI traffic to 10/20. seems weird to me, but ok. It works now. it is always the same. No matter if Fs9, Fsx, xplane11 or FS2020. Before you can really get started, you have to invest hours in it to get the program running properly. And then, when it works properly, a new problem arises.

3 Likes

Hopefully that continues to work for you. Stuttering can be caused by an overloaded CPU, GPU, or both. If it comes back try enabling the in-game Developer mode FPS counter which should show you whether the stutters are GPU or CPU related.

Are you using FreeSync or G-Sync?

My GPU works with medium power at constant 65 degrees (Celsius) temperature. My CPU works with less than 50% at 35 degrees.
That can’t be the problem.

I don’t use G-Sync or FreeSync. I have 1 ACER G246HYL monitor 60 Hz. With a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

Edit:
I tweaked my settings and tried everything. Now I have 70 FPS and no more stuttering.
I would like to post my graphics settings, but unfortunately I don’t know how to post screenshots here.

I also use the RIVAtuner from MSI Afterburner to limit my FPS (runs better and smoother than Nvidia inspector, or FS2020).

In my Nvidia settings, I have everything on the default except for the energy consumption, where I set MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE.

It runs so smoothly …

That’s an average over all of the cores so doesn’t mean much. MSFS is limited by one or two threads most of the time.

Anyway, I’m glad it’s working for you now. If it doesn’t in the future I would again recommend using the Dev Mode FPS counter which also gives a readout of frame time on the game threads and the GPU.

1 Like

So it was the AI Traffic causing the microstutters?

Great that you went through process of elimination and found the culprit. Many MANY users are having problems with stutters (or micro stutters) even with high end or very high end hardware.

Hopefully future updates will smooth out this problem… they must be aware of the problem and the wide range of system specs that are seeing it.

1 Like

Thank’s for the Tipps! Because this simulator is still new, it is difficult to find suitable solutions. Fortunately, I don’t have to rewrite any .cfg files anymore, like for example with FSX or Xplane11.

Yep AI and community additions particularly custom mapping software can cause stutters, basically anything which bottlenecks the CPU (yes the CPU) delivering frames to the GPU. My diagnosis is usually turn off all traffic, rename community folder and disable all toolbar options and then fly a simple GA plane like the Robin DA400 in a rural location - if it still stutters then it’s time to upgrade :slight_smile:

Through the DEV mode I saw what exactly the “bottleneck” is. It was the graphics card (RTX 3060ti 8GB). When I set the FPS limiter to 60FPS, the graphics card still tried to get more FPS out. So I increased the graphics to take the power out of the card and it worked.

: But if I turn on the AI ​​traffic, I have bad FPS.

The subject of graphics settings and performance is quite interesting and also confusing. If I set the trees to medium, I have 10 FPS less. If I have the slider on the far right on Ultra, I don’t lose any FPS.
So I have a smoother picture without stuttering when I have the settings on ULTRA.

My settings:

PC

Anzeigemodus: Vollbild (Fullscreen)
Auflösung (Resolution): 1920 x 1080

HDR10: ---------------------------------

Erweiterte Einstellungen (Advanced Settings):

Vsync: ON
Max. Bildwiederholrate: 60
Render-Skalierung (scale): 1920 x 1080 / 100
Anti-Aliasing: TAA
Grad der Detailgenauigkeit des Terrains (Detail of Terrain): 105
Vektordatenmenge für Terrain (Terrain vectors): Hoch (High)
Gebäude (Buildings): Hoch (High)
Bäume (Trees): Ultra
Gras und Büsche (Grass and Bushes): Ultra
Grad der Detailgenauigkeit von Objekten (Object Details): 140
Volumetrische Wolken (volumetric Clouds): Hoch (High)
Texturauflösung (Texture Resolution): Ultra
Anisotropische Filterung: 16X
Texturen-Supersampling: 4x4
Textursynthese: Ultra
Wasserauflösung (Water-Resolution): Mittel (Middle)
Shadow Mapping: 1024
Terrainschatten (Terrain-Shadows): 512
Kontaktschatten: Hoch (High)
Windschutzscheibeneffekte (Windshield effects): Hoch (High)
Umgebungsverdeckung: Hoch (High)
Spiegelungen: Ultra
Lichtstrahlen (Lighting): Ultra
Bloom: Ein (On)
Schärfentiefe (FOD): Hoch (High)
Bewegungsunschärfe (Motion Blur): Niedrig (Low)
Linsenkorrektur: Aus (Off)
Blendenflecken: Ein (on)
Glascockpit-Bildwiederholrate (Glasscockpit): Mittel (Middle)

Nvidia:

DEFAULT settings. Changed “Power management Mode” to MAX. Performance

my FPS with Limiter: 59/60
without Limiter 70-80 with stutters.
the GPU runs at 90% and the CPU at 25-40% at normal temperatures.

My System: I7 9700K 4,9GHz / RTX 3060ti / samsung ssd 970 evo plus / 32GB / watercooling

1 Like

[Solved] for me… I had microstutters and audiocrackling. Solved when temporarily disabled my antivirus. Switching it back on and the problems return, switch off and they’re gone. Presumaby the AV keeps checking the rolling cache or other dynamic data.

Also… see the excellent post here for an explanation why INCREASING your settings (low -> high -> ultra) may give you MORE FPS and LESS STUTTERS.

The bottom line: make sure your CPU is NEVER the bottleneck.

5 Likes

Just drag and drop your screenshot in the the post.

First off specs are 3900xt and a 2070s i usually play on 1440p 16:9 had no problems 40ish fps recently got a new monitor 49in lol and i started to get pausing problems seemed to be every 2 min give or take 5 sec then GPU would just tank and pause for 2-4 sec and this was consistent even siting at the gate doing nothing. Lasso seemed to do the job and fix that, still pushing the GPU to its limit averaging about 20-30 fps. 5120x1440btw. Hopefully this will be fixed soon! Tank you for all the testing hopefully your still getting to play flight sim more that testing :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you don’t know how to get a screenshot,
use Win 10 Snip & Sketch.

Funny you say that, I was wondering if it was just me who was having pauses around Melbourne, AU. I’ve tried with and without freeware from flightsim.to and it occurs regardless.

2 Likes

Now im getting my pausing issue again every 4 min cpu goes to 0 then spikes up after a sec or two gpu also does the same, guess its up to the update to hopefully fix it

I was getting very long pauses when flying, some quite small like micro-stutters, but then usually two very long ones close together. I tried tweaking various graphics settings but to me it looked like a disk issue, basically loading scenery is what I wondered. I thought that odd because the sim is installed on an SSD, but in the end I moved the rolling cache file to an HDD (WD Black 7200rpm) and made it 200GB in size. All long pauses have now vanished completely, I do still get the odd micro-stutter, not sure what that could be maybe graphics settings, although I am running on an RTX2080Ti but the screen is a 49" wide screen so quite demanding I suppose. But overall moving the rolling cache file from it’s default location on drive C: (my windows system drive) to a different disk and making it big… not sure if the size affects it really but it’s a 2TB drive so 200GB seemed reasonable, has made the biggest improvement for me. Now I have known that before with other games… some just don’t seem to like running off SSD (my C: drive is an SSD also), perhaps that’s true of the cache file in MSFS?

2 Likes

VERY odd thing that moving the rolling cache to a HDD
clears the problem with the pauses…

Though yet again… This and all the other tweaks (and believe me I have tried EVERYTHING)…
do not resolve the stutter issue.

The problem lies in the faulty graphics engine of MSFS.
I was REALLY hoping this should be clear by now…