Solution to Reverb G2 Audio Drop Out!

As you probably saw in the link the easiest way to check is that the rev 2 cable has a small on/off button on the psu.

Yes, and that the psu was considerably larger in the newer version. With a couple more hours of flying, Iā€™m flying along happy(!) and suddenly the screen goes black and Iā€™m back in the house on the hill with a bang. Is that the result of the the usb port failing to power the hmd? That is, will the new cable likely solve that problem? And thanks for the post and help.

Anyone catch chatter on the interwebs of where you can buy a new headset and reliably get a rev2 cable? Itā€™s probably too new to say, and Iā€™m guessing all of these online retailers that have it on sale for $400 are trying to get rid of old stock.

For me I would get a blue screen them the headset would be off. The connectivity issues affect the power or lack of from the usb so the fact your headset remains on would make me think it is likely another issue.

Anyone that receives a rev 1 can call HP support and demand a rev 2. Iā€™ve started a thread called Reverb g2 Amd usb connectivity solved and that has a link to a Reddit post dedicated to this issue that goes into a lot of detail about getting a rev 2.

I just got a new Reverb G2 today.

When I first plugged it in, it seemed to be fine. I definitely got a v1 cable, though, despite it being new and ordered just last week. But I did order it one day before the ā€œeveryone gets a v2 cableā€ deal. I bought direct from HP, so I thought it was odd that I didnā€™t get one.

After setting it up and getting into MSFS2020, I started getting audio issues and lockups.

I probably could benefit from a v2 cable.

However, I did solve my problem. My mobo has a USB setting that allows me to add an extra 0.1, 0.2, or 0.3 volts to the USB3 ports. Turning it up to 0.3 volts (the first one I tried) allowed me to fly around with zero issues.

I donā€™t want to burn out my headset by overloading my USB voltage, so I will probably contact HP support and ask for a v2 cable.

At the very least, Iā€™ll be able to fly while I wait for the v2 cable.

Just wanted to add that this is a significant upgrade over the Oculus Rift CV1 I used to use. What a difference! Iā€™m very much GPU limited now (RTX2060XCUltra), so lots of room to grow.

Which motherboard is this?

Personally, I had me too audio drop outs but it seems to be resolved once I turned off my main audio output source. I have a pair of Logitech G560 speakers and when are on I get drop outs in VR, if I keep them off , VR works fine and never got drop outs anymore!

I have an Aorus X470 Ultra Gaming board. I believe it uses a Gigabyte bios, but I donā€™t know much more than that.

I got my new cable from HP and it seems to work well in DCS now, havenā€™t tried MSFS yet. Iā€™m in the UK and was told by a very rude HP employee who kept arguing and interrupting me that a new revision cable wasnā€™t needed and that he would escalate to a level 2 engineer, he also said they were out of stock in any case and that I would be waiting a long time to receive one. Funny thing is I got a dispatch notification later that evening and it arrived from Europe next day!

If your audio cuts out/screen goes blank then contact HP and donā€™t accept anything other than a revision 2 cable.

I note that even with the new cable I canā€™t use a USB-C port directly on my X570, only using a dongle works.

Strange that it doesnā€™t work in the usb type C although I have to admit it I only use the type A with supplied adaptor as its easier to get to and I need to disconnect ever night as I have a cable chewing cat. (Protective sheath needed for that problem but also adds a bit of rigidity to the cable).

I have an Alienware Ryzen R10 and the only usb port that ever worked was the front top type A. All others either did nothing or gave one of the WMR errors. Then after 3-5 weeks it would stop with the front one probably due to a bit of wear on the cable pushed it over the threshold of working or not.

With the rev 2 cable I can use any of the types As with the HP supplied adaptor. I will try the type C later. But so far absolutely none of the previous issues, sound loss, blue screen or WMR errors. Also think the cable is slightly more flexible than the old one.

In the last month or so I started to have audio dropouts, and MSFS really doesnā€™t like itā€¦ will sometimes crash when it switches back and at best a very long stutter.

Anyway I finally called up HP yesterday and after a few basic questions about being up to date with drivers and bios the support agent just asked where I wanted the cable to be sent. Was easy and he was polite so perhaps you jut got unlucky (or I got lucky!). Itā€™s on backorder but hopefully they are pumping them out at a decent rate!

You are the first person Iā€™ve heard of with any issue at all with the new cable, odd that you canā€™t use the USB-C port on the moboā€¦ on my x570 the mobo USB-C works even with the v1 cable (other than the recent audio drop outs but was fine for a long time before that). Are you up to date with a bios compiled on AGESA 1.2.0.3 B as that included AMDā€™s ā€œfinalā€ fix for USB connectivity?

Have you come across anyone else with the same problem with the new cable? You definitely got the new revision with a larger brick right? (Part number is: M52188-001 Part description is: SPS-CA ACTIVE 6M BLACK /W SWITCH).

Yes I have the larger brick version. I will check the USB-C on the front of the case to see if that works, it was working before but with no audio. It could be due to having another device on the same bus on the back, Iā€™ll try removing it. Yes I have 1.2.0.3b but the beta before the final bios by MSI for the tomahawk, again Iā€™ll update it to the final release at some point but just sick of having to redo my PBO and ram oc. I think the AGESA is the same in the beta and final though.

Either way it isnā€™t a big issue, itā€™s working now with the converter dongle so thatā€™s good enough for me.

Doubt thereā€™ll be a material difference between the beta and the final versionā€¦ I feel your pain, I got very bored of re-entering all my timings lol.

Oh well at least you have a working setup!

I just got shipment notification for the new cable, so wasnā€™t waiting more than few days on back order :metal:

1 Like

Thatā€™s great, Iā€™m confident it will fix your issues!

I had the V1 cable and it worked with a USB c to A adapter I already had. I started to have weird problems with my computer and bought a v2 cable off ebay. My headset works. But I had to reinstall windows for it affected my GPU. after the installation with both cables. WMR does not register my headsets mic or speakers. The headset works and I have to use a Bluetooth headset now.
AMD Ryzen 3500x on a MSI Gaming Pluss X570 MoBo. I have no audio at all. Ive been on Win 10 and 11. With reinstalling Win 10 multiple times and WMR as well.

Leave the audio in sim to default audio device.
Set sounds output device to Realtek USB 2.0
Press Ctrl-Tab to enter VR

Press Ctrl-Tab to exit VR
Set sounds output device to Monitor or whatever you prefer

Hi I suddenly today got problems with audio switching from headset (Reverb G2) to PC and vice versa and in the end MSFS seems to halt, I never had the issues before? I have been using the headset for 1,5 years now without any big issies. Howcome now? I havnet changet anything on my PC.

I am using
Asus Z590 gaming plus MB.

Problem solved, contacted HP support DK, new cable arrived the day after, problem solved!

Thats very good support from HP :slight_smile:

I had the same issue and found a somewhat strange solution. It seems the headset audio conflicts with the headphone 3.5mm audio jack (the audio jack tries to override headset audio which leads to crashing some games). When I start PC with my other headphones unplugged everything goes back to normal. I hope this helps someone.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.