Some problems with the CRJ

Oh, yes I’ve had the icing warning come on as well and just turned on the anti-ice systems. Worked as expected.

1 Like

A couple of pointers:

1st: AFAIK icing is simulated in the CRJ but not visually. In other words Aerosoft simulated his own icing conditions ignoring the visual plane-becomes-an-ice-cube MS visual.
This means you should actively monitor icing conditions and not icing visuals. If the temp is too low or low enough with moisture present then activate the anti-icing measures.

2nd: I use two levers for throttles, sometimes they disagree in their N1 values even if they look completely even in the hardware and in the cockpit. I mention this because if you have one engine at say 87% and the other at 81% you may be climbing slower than what you have to. The solution is to move levers around a little and get them in sync again.

In reply to the comments, I observed several sudden loss of speed and altitude with a very important nose up attitude. Fuel tank and pax was set to 50 % according to simbrief, no icing conditions. Trim was correctly set before take off.
This usually occurs after the aircraft has reached its FL.
I had to disconnect the AP to correct this bug and came back to a stable flight…

Missing some important information. What was your N1 setting at cruise? What was your IAS? What FL?

That sounds like the problem I described with being too heavy to maintain lift at high altitude without a very high angle of attack, leading to slowing down until the plane stalls.

Try flying with less fuel, or at a lower altitude until you have burned off some fuel.

1 Like

No this bug occured twice with fuel and pax at 50 % at a cruise altitude of FL 180 with AP on ???
Fuel and pax + cruise alt were calculated using simbrief prior to the flight
I could not use less fuel for the trip…

Did you check your TOW in the EFB versus your TOW in SimBrief? Not the percentage load, but the actual take-off weight? And did you then send that data to the Sim via EFB?

Thanks for your efforts, yes, I did. But I don’t remember the precise numbers. I do remember that they were off by a few hundred kgs (<500) and and both below 30t. I think the difference was caused by a slight difference in passenger weight in my simbrief profile and the EFB, checking that is on my todo. I am almost sure that it was caused by icing as climbing and the first few minutes of the cruise were uneventful and with normal speed, pitch and N1. I will test further and report back…

1 Like

Please stop using terms like “normal speed, pitch and N1”. That is very vague and unclear. Give us exact numbers for speed, pitch and N1.

I can provide more precise numbers as soon as the FDR has been found…it must be somewhere here under my desk.
I mean, what can I say, the pitch attitude was somewhere around perhaps 2 degrees nose up, N1 somewhere in the low 80s and speed was .74.
Then speed began to drop, AP increased pitch to maintain altitude. I advanced throttles to fully forward, or as my CFI liked to say it “volume slider to max!”. Iost about about 10.000 feet before things stabelized and I decided to divert (aviate-navigate-communicate) and wanted to enter a route to sn enroute alternate in sec fplan and the rest is history…

My flight last night very good. No problems with speeds in climb or maintaining cruise. I climbed at 290/M.74 to FL 350 and cruised at M.77-M.81. VNAV descent worked as intended managing throttles manually as there is no Auto Throttle. I got “behind” the aircraft on landing as I was enjoying the views and forgot to flip the toggles for reversers, so they were inop on initial touchdown. Wonderful aircraft. My new Favorite for sure. I did get Ice Warning on my overhead so I did activate the system. People saying it isnt modeled but the warning system is.

1 Like

So it sounds like you’re saying that you’re flying along in a stable, level flight for several minutes. You don’t change anything, and the plane basically falls out of the sky…?

I really have no idea. I’ve never seen that happen. There must be something going on that you are not noticing and not telling us. MSFS isn’t perfect but planes don’t just fall out of the sky for no reason.

I now understand that the icing is modelled (by aerosoft) but not shown visually. So definitely use that anti-ice. Glad you enjoyed it. It’s a great aircraft.

Just had the sim lock up. I tried to delete a waypoint and everything froze.
Also have noticed the AP sways left and right on approach to a waypoint.
Think it’s a great aircraft though.

THere is definitely something wrong with the icing model of the CRJ if you go thru icing conditions and even if you run the deicing until the ice warnings go out you start losing speed for no reason at anything above 26K feet. I have had the plane at 28k flhing straight and level after and icing incident and watched the plane slow down by 25kts a minute with MAX power. Its definitely broken. Only option when that ice warning light comes on is to restart the sim because you will either run out of gas trying to maintain speed or fall out of the sky when the plane gets to stall speed. Aerosoft needs to fix this.

2 Likes

If you are “pre-running” the anti-icing bleeds, and run into icing conditions, does this same thing happen?

if at anytime during the flight if the ICE warning light comes on its all down hill from there. Even if you turn deicing on and the warning goes away the plane acts like it is still gaining ice weight. Its hard to say if running the Deicing before you come into icing conditions works since if it does you will never know you experienced icing, so the answer is I dont know but the Deicing system takes alot of power away from the plane especially during the climb out, so prerunning the deicing is out of the question unless youre absolutely sure you are going to experience icing conditions.

This is not my experience. I’ve had icing conditions before. Turned on anti-ice, it went away. No further issues. You might be experiencing something else.

Not sure if it is modeled 100% correctly but the engines are supposed to lose some power when de-ice comes on. It is using bleed air from the engines to operate the de-ice system so you lose a little thrust.

That is modeled