Some problems with the CRJ

Ye I know it is. Just not sure if it is 100% accurate.

So odd, the various differences folks are finding. Iā€™m losing airspeed while climbing (gentle climb) to FL 21, for no apparent reason. Iā€™ve flown many non-eventful flights in the CRJ, but every once in a while I get this ā€œicingā€ or whatever it is problem. Nothing seems to return the plane to its full capabilities for power management. Iā€™m stumped.

Are you climbing in SPEED mode like youā€™re supposed to? And what airspeed? If you are too slow you wonā€™t make it to high altitudes. Because science.

If you guys like flying the CRJ I created a new VA on FsAirlines and Iā€™m building out a CRJ fleet. Want to also build out a fleet of A320 and B738 when we get a good 737 in MSFS. The airline is Great White Express. I am a platinum member so you can join for free. I can setup routes for whatever prospective pilots would like to fly and the type of aircraft. Please check it out I am the only pilot SAD FACE :frowning:

More than likely, the issue is related to the current throttle bug where for some of us moving the throttles results in spool down before spooling up. Because of that behavior, the throttles take a long time to stabilize and as such, it is very difficult to maintain an exact target airspeed. As others have noted, there is a threshold that if the airspeed falls below, the aircraft ends up pitched up such that it is behind the power curve. When that happens, no amount of available thrust will be sufficient to overcome the aerodynamics and allow the aircraft to accelerate. The only solution is to pitch down while adding power until the aircraft accelerates to sufficient speed. Unfortunately, this usually seems to involve losing several thousand feet of altitude. It is much better to avoid the problem in the first place by constantly monitoring airspeed trends. With the throttle bug, it is very easy to experience very gradual loss of airspeed, so you canā€™t expect to leave the aircraft unattended. The PFD shows the actual mach number and I watch this for changes. If it is decreasing, I bump the throttles a bit. Fortunately, Aerosoft has figured out the cause of the throttle problems and the bug is fixed. Once they release their next update, I suspect this problem will largely go away as I would assume t that it is tied to general throttle instability. Once the throttles are no longer unstable, I would hope that very large airspeed excursions at a constant throttle setting (in level flight) will be a somewhat rarer occurrence.

1 Like

I doubt that. I do see that throttle bug but that is no reason why you would get behind the power curve. Iā€™ve flown the CRJ many times. As long as you speed up to the correct speeds (250kts below 10k/ 290kts above 10k/0.72-0.76 mach when possible) the throttle bug does not matter. The aircraft is in Climb power. Throttle is extremely stable. If you get behind the power curve, itā€™s because of pilot error.

The issue here is that the poster is losing airspeed while climbing. Not while cruising at altitude.

Yeah, I donā€™t see why you have to change anything at all - I donā€™t touch the throttle. Once I rotate on takeoff, I move the throttle to the CLB detent and I donā€™t really touch it until at the VERY least I have reached the altitude the ATC cleared me for. If I have to move it down after that, itā€™s because ATC hasnā€™t cleared me to continue climbing and I am getting too fast, if anything. In which case, when I DO get the clearance to climb further, I move it back to CLB and engage another SPEED mode climb.

Ah missed that it was in climb. Yep, Iā€™ve never had any issues climbing in speed mode at 290/mach 0.74 and the throttles in climb detent. But the aircraft (if you have the throttle bug) will not hold speed in cruise. It is always creeping up or down.

In CRUISE is where you HAVE to manage your speed manually - there is no autothrottle, so your speed WILL creep up or down until you adjust the throttle to the appropriate power setting.

Yes, that would be true except for those of us encountering the throttle bug, the airspeed will never stabilize because the throttles donā€™t really stabilize. I canā€™t, for example, decide to set the throttles to 75% N1 because they are too unstable to be able to put them there. All I can do is monitor airspeed trends and try to bump the throttles in the appropriate direction. Even the tiniest of throttle changes leads to massive spooling up and down. Not everyone is encountering this bug, but for those of us that are, it makes managing the airspeed extra-challenging. Fortunately, Aerosoft has acknowledged the problem and has a fix.

1 Like

Yeah, unfortunately, I canā€™t help there. I donā€™t have this issue.

No worries. It is just a glitch to work around for the time being and it keeps me on my toes!

Iā€™ve had issues when trying to enter my flight plan. I go to enter a waypoint and the CDU acts like it accepts it except it will not show up in the CDU. I can enter in waypoints via the legs page and they get entered correctly so there is a work around. Havent seen anyone else with this issue though.

Are you executing your changes? Itā€™s not enough to simply enter your flight plan, you have to activate and execute it for the changes to be reflected on the legs page. Entering waypoints on the legs page isā€¦ not a good practice. I meanā€¦ how do you enter the airways? There is only one way to enter the airways. Have you done the tutorial? It has you enter a flight plan properly.

I have the throttle bug issue and I am able to stablize speed. You just have to be very careful. Some throttle positions are unstable and some are stable. Just need to find a position that works.

I know how to program the flight computer. It is a bug. I am not sure if it has something to do with the fact I have updated the nav data with Navigraph maybe or updating the base sim nav data. Itā€™s hard to explain the bug without showing a video. To enter an airway I can go back to the FLPN page and it will accept airway and waypoint correctly. This problem only ever occurs when I am trying to enter a Direct waypoint, and then it doesnā€™t happen all the time.

Edit: I do not know how to record video while operating the sim. Barely know how to do screenshots but next time I go to program the flight computer I will try to get a video with my cellphone. It is definitely a weird bug and probably something I have done to cause it because I havenā€™t seen it anywhere else happening. Still hope to get it straightened out at some point though.

Have you updated the Aerosoft nav data separately from the MSFS nav data? If your nav databases are not in sync that could create an issue. I have never seen this bug, FYI.

Yes I have used the manual download for CRJ Professional direct from Navigraph website, in addition to upgrading the MSFS nav data via the Beta downloader.

Yes, what folks are describing in the throttle bug (I have the TCA throttleā€“which, in some range of settings wonā€™t ā€œholdā€ its positionā€“given the logic of how itā€™s supposed to work).

I may go back to my other throttle quad when flying the CRJ and test that out a bit.

Thanksā€“finally something that makes senseā€“the icing hypothesis wasnā€™t fitting what was going onā€“but the throttle issues do.

Yea I have also had some issues with the throttle holding at a steady level and it will normally fall some before it goes up when you are increasing the throttle. It is just a minor annoyance though and just need to check it every once in a while when in cruise.