Some questions about the A320's performance

First of all:

Ta na na na…na… NEO… Ta na na na na na…na… SPORIN. Master Pang, Kung Pow

Okay, so why does it have a 45° bank limitation? And how do I get it to not sound the Overspeed warning after 480+ KTAS? The Overspeed warning comes even earlier when I’m really high.

Bank angle limit because its a tube liner. Overspeed…because you are overspeeding the aircraft.

1 Like

So I’m out of luck then…

Lovely!

It’s a simulator, what were you expecting? When you overspeed the plane it warns you. If you want to fly fast, fly at 350 knots at 25000’, this equates to a true airspeed of around 520 knots.

You can get more bank than 45° by holding the stick over but there’s a hard limit of around 60°.

520 TAS at 25k feet … not sure it can do that without sounding the warning but worth a try. Thanks.

Yes I meant you can’t bank it 90° like you can with the 747 e.g.

@DashQuickly

True airspeed, not indicated. At higher altitude the airspeed shown on the airspeed indicator is significantly less than the actual speed through the air (true airspeed).

Just an example of what I’m talking about. 245 knots indicated on the PFD (right side) is giving a true airspeed of 452 knots at 38000 feet. If you descend to 25000 feet you can fly at 350 knots indicated and achieve a true airspeed of about 520 knots. If you go lower than 25000 feet the true airspeed goes down, so 25000 feet is around where you get the highest true airspeed.

Just checked speed at 25000.

It’s a bit broken. 1st the barbers pole should be 350 not 360, 2nd the barbers pole wasn’t coming back above 25000 with the Mach Vmo and I was getting an overspeed warning without getting into the red bricks, finally it’s TAS computation might be a bit off. Online TAS calculators give 520 TAS for 350 IAS at 25000, the sim was only giving about 495.

So yeah it’s not right. 495 TAS is about as fast as you can make it go.

Edit: I’ve checked a few other online TAS and Mach calculators and they agree with the sim, so it might only be half wrong.

Thanks I knew it was overspeeding far too easily. Same issue with the Cessna citation CJ4 as well.

Nope. Tried it… At 25k feet it sounds the alarm at 506 TAS. Doesnt matter what you set the selected or managed air speed to…

Off topic, sorry, but the Cessna CJ4 has the same issue. Is it supposed to sound the Overspeed alarm at 25k+ feet when hitting speeds of 452 knots TAS for example?

Yeah, no it only gets about 495 TAS and my IAS to TAS calculators were a bit optimistic I think.

It should sound the alarm when the indicated speed gets into the red bricks. The A320 seems a bit broken in that the red bricks aren’t where they’re supposed to be, but the alarm sounds outside of the bricks. It’s not related to TAS at all, just indicated.

Just to clarify, you will get the highest TAS in the A320 at somewhere around 25000’, this is supposed to be at 350 knots indicated. The TAS is just whatever you get at that altitude at that speed. It happens at this altitude because this is where the Mach number becomes the limit rather than the indicated airspeed. TAS increases with altitude for a given indicated speed but decreases with altitude for a given Mach number, so where the Indicated limit and the Mach limit crossover is where you get the highest TAS. And if you want to fly as fast as you can assuming no wind, this is the altitude to fly at.

Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 17.21.41

1 Like

Very helpful, thank you :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.