Some VR newbie questions

Hi,
I’m getting my Reverb G2 in a few days and I have two questions.

1. Once I connect the headset, I understand that I need to install Windows Mixed Reality? Anything else? What’s the actual process of connecting to the game in VR for the first time?
  2. I have a 10900k + 3090. I pretty sure that even with this rig, I won’t be able to hit anywhere close to 90 FPS. What’s the deal here? I’ve heard so many good reviews on VR FS2020 but how is it possible with it being so demanding?

Thank you!

Welcome to the world of VR flight! You’re in for a treat.

1. You can install the Windows Mixed Reality app any time. Once installed it will activate any time the computer recognizes that your headset is plugged in correctly. Be prepared, though, for some set-up pains. It can be pretty finicky about the USB connections. With a little trial and error you will be OK. Just don’t expect plug 'n play. There are plenty of resources on this forum that will help.

2. Your setup should be just fine–better than mine, in fact. Don’t worry about frame rates. There is an overwhelming number of different settings to keep track of. You can spend hours tweaking. Some people really enjoy that process. For those people there is NVidia Control Panel, OpenXR, and other things to mess around with. I’ve tried all these things and now I’m just happy to forget about them. I would rather fly and forget about whether I’m getting 30fps or 60 fps. To misquote Duke Ellington: If it looks good it is good.

Enjoy!!

2 Likes

Reading many posts online, I was under the impression that the minimum FPS for a passable VR experience was 90! I’m happy it’s not true. Thanks for the reply!

You need to install WMR, then install OpenXR Developer tool from Windows Store. In that tool’s developer settings I set Open XR custom resolution to 70% with 3080 (you may do 80% with 3090), check use latest preview runtime. If it prompts you to make itself default OpenXR runtume - do that. Do not run SteamVR and do not use its OpenXR runtime, even if you have Steam MSFS version (like I do).

Install latest Nvidia driver (with the last one, try Studio and not Game driver). In Nvidia Control Panel set for MSFS set VR frames to 2, anisotropic to On, LOD BIAS to Clamped, Quality to Performance, Trilinear to On, Threaded optimization to On if I recall correctly.

In MSFS set the default VR settings, then gradually raise what you need until you are having bad performance, or try High, with clouds and textures at Ultra. Your 3090 could handle that I hope.

You will get a wild variety of advise and opinions. In fact, different people have absolutely different tolerances. I tried a lot of settings and those are what I settled on. I have strong “VR legs” and can play Alyx for 3 hours standing and walking with full smooth movement without any problems, but a cockpit jitter when turning my head makes me dizzy and so is a forced 60Hz refresh rate.

With your setup you can expect 30 to 40FPS at the the maximum, in VR when configured correctly. Many people prefer to disable motion reprojection and have their 30-35 FPS with more clarity, but I hate it. Distant scenery is usually OK, when looking ahead, but turning your head results in jittery cockpit and it’s nauseating and annoying. To get 90Hz, WMR can do “motion reprojection” that you can set to “Automatic” or “Always On” in the developer tool. It costs a few FPS, but it reprojects frames according to your head movements. Latest WMR OpenXR can reproject starting from 22.5FPS which created butter-smooth images. Next jump is 30FPS (3x reprojection) which is even smoother, and then 45FPS (2x reprojection) which is great but almost unreachable in MSFS. That’s how you get 90Hz - by reprojection. As long as your rig with your settings can ALWAYS get ebove 22.5FPS you SHOULD get smooth picture. But reprojection gets the wobbly artifacts - especially on propellers. I edited textures to almost eliminate those on the props (making rotating props barely visible), you can google how to do that, and use free prop mods for stock aircraft. You will see small artifacts when rotating head, around wing edges etc., but they are minor and don’t bother me so much. Other people can’t stand them and prefer jittery cockpits instead. Apparently they don’t suffer or don’t notice that jittering.

Try repro on and off and compare what you prefer yourself. Use landing challenges in dense photogrammetry areas (like Toronto, or JFK) challenge. That will tell you right away if your performance is acceptable.

Wait for July 27th Sim Update V before settling on your settings. You should be able to do better on that update, but don’t expect miracles.

3 Likes

That’s some great info. Thanks a lot for taking the time!

1 Like

Same system here. 10900k+3090+G2. All was Plug&Play and run fine here since months.
Make few tweaks from FlyByWire website in Nvidia panel only.

Performance also depends a lot on what and where you fly. Flying GA aircraft, I can get 30-40 fps with i7 9700/RTX2080Ti given some downward adjustment of the graphics settings :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: that’s good enough. You have a really nice rig and should be able to get to a performance level you’re very happy with. Some great advice above.

Only thing I’d add is that I found running my Reverb G2 off of a powered USB3 hub helped a lot. The G2 seems to be a touch sensitive to the USB connection and some folks have had a bunch of issues with that. I can also switch it off without unplugging anything.

Happy flying! You won’t be able to go back to flying a 2D screen once you get it set up the way you like it.

Since all the technical stuff’s been taken care of… :slight_smile:

You will need to set up the four ‘VR Controls’ in the MSFS Options>Controls before you start, most important ones are the reset view and toggle VR mode.

Also, because it’s not always obvious, the VR settings for graphics and traffic are manually selected at the top of their respective settings pages - they always default to PC, so make sure you select VR.

1 Like

Yeah that’s not true for a couple of reasons;

1 everyone is different, what works well for some doesn’t work well for others.
2 Pleasure flight simulation (as MSFS is kinda!) doesn’t require 90fps unlike say a Combat Sim where you need twitchy controls and quick/smooth head movements. Whilst you can get away with lower FPS in those Sims it’s much more noticeable than it would be in this Sim. Example from me is that in Racing Sims i simply have to have a fluid 90fps, in MSFS I’m happy with anything above 30.
3 plus next week’s SU5 should improve optimisation and performance, so as mentioned above there’s plenty of settings & scope to find the right balance that works best for your eyes with your PC configuration.

Alright, just finished a 5 hour flying + tweaking session.
Whoaaaaaa!!

I mean, honestly, it doesn’t feel 100% ready yet. I really feels like this technology needs a few more years to get to a point where it can run really comfortably and all of that, but having said that, WHOA. I did NOT expect it to feel THAT realistic. Just flew a 152 over Rome and it felt so weird (in the best way possible). Amazing, what VR can do!

But I really don’t see myself playing in VR with airliners. It works really great with GA but one I need to click them little buttons it can get frustrating with the mouse and cursor. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time until this gets perfected, because after 5 minutes inside the cockpit you just KNOW that this is the future of flight sims.

Thanks all very much for your help!

1 Like

Upping the interface scale to 70 helps a lot with menu navigation in VR:

It’s worth looking in to lowering resolutions scaling for performance.
Keep in-game at 100% though
Here is how in WMR and SteamVR

1 Like

If you hold down the mouse right-click on a section, it zooms in.
It makes pressing the buttons easier:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.