Sooooo, the wind is(n't) fixed!

It’s an immersion breaking experience for IRL pilots and flight simulator/ aviation enthusiasts. It’s one of the core things about flying a plane, and it doesn’t work properly.

1 Like

Personally i think there isn’t a bug with “Live Weather” but more that the game isn’t triggering the setting “Live Weather”.

That’s just me :slight_smile:

Meanwhile in marketing and management

13 Likes

It’s a “big deal” when using live ATC such as VATSIM that use live weather as reference, especially when dealing with traffic on and around controlled airports. However, the actual effect is not as bad as it may sound since the bug/issue is that you experience wind at 3kt from 225. If the real world weather is 40kt from 85 that will for instance have an impact on what runway the controller use for arrivals/departures, but worst case scenario for you as a pilot is that you will be taking of with a 3kt tail wind. It certainly breaks the immersion, but nothing more than that really. If you don’t use live ATC you can always configure the weather you want (that isn’t broken right?). If the issue was that the weather was worse than the real weather it would however be unplayable with live ATC. You do not take if with a 50kt tail wind :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: one thing that could have a very negative impact when flying with live ATC is differences in QNH. I don’t know if it’s just the wind that is affected by this bug or if the QNH is different as well. If it is, it’s really bad since the ATC will have you at a different altitude than you are in the sim.

2 Likes

Just for the record, and I don’t think I’m alone here, I find that the lack of correct winds in most areas of the world to be a far greater issue than a missing landmark any other minor bug. Comparing this discussion to that one is not really beneficial. It’s not one side vs. the other. There are people that are super happy with this sim that want to see it become even better.

4 Likes

Okay, that one made me chuckle :smirk:

Sorry but i simply don’t believe you, since every one seems to have this issue. I don’t see a logical explanation why you would be the only one having correct winds all the time.

2 Likes

The weather NEVER was correct in Europe. Upper winds were more or less accurate but then either the local QNH or the local winds or visibility at the airport is wrong (Metar). I never had any single 100% accurate weather experience after 20 or 30 flight over Europe.

Yes. The aircraft itself does the math based on airspeed, heading, groundspeed, and ground track.

Yeah i believe that. When I had different winds in Europe, I figured there was a good chance they werent totally accurate either

Possibly. But also note that according to others here in the forum there is a delay of around one hour.

In any case having some wind data (with delay) is better than having no wind data at all (aka 225/03). And it is probably fair to say that the weather resolution is not as fine-grained as the one you‘re getting from your local weather station… (my guess!)

1 Like

I am flying northbound from Keywest and tracking the accuracy in game vs. Windy.tv

My understanding is that from surface to ~FL100 the information is accurate but not above FL100. There’s a strong indication that somehow the data streaming functionality is broken for FL100 and above.

Edit: It turned out if the live weather is broken, altitude does not matter anymore - it would be broken everywhere

I am cruising@7400ft;
time location - sim vs. windy.tv

• 2:45pm Key West - 99/12kt vs. 90ish/12kt (how do I get exact wind direction on windy.tv ?)
  • 2:50pm (25°07’30.3"N 81°38’27.2"W) - 225/3kt vs. 90/8kt
  • 3:00pm (Goodland, FL) - 225/3kt vs. 90/5kt
  • 3:15pm (Cape Coral, FL) - 225/3kt vs. 90/3kt
  • 3:21pm (Mayakka City, FL) - 225/3kt vs. 80/3kt
  • I think it’s broken now …

So after it’s broken, I exited to the main menu and the wind speed is missing everywhere.

2 Likes

Interesting @Pieter1982NL, can you share where you have seen that working specifically?

Are you based out of Europe and have a European IP? I know there was some talk about European IP working sometimes vs. other IPs…

I’ve tried both Surface Winds and Winds Aloft:
Europe (UK, France, Germany, Ireland) - Worked
Australia (Sydney, Melbourne) - No Luck
US (Multiple Locations) - No Luck
Canada (Multiple Locations) - No Luck
S.E. Asia (Singapore, Malaysia) - No Luck

1 Like

I just tried EGSN at the bottom of this thread and did not get the surface winds to work. Maybe something on my end?

you are missing the problems it can create more than just which runway is in use. if there are 2 aircraft on the same airway 10 miles in trail at FL350 doing M.80 and the one behind has a 90kt tailwind and the other one does not, there’s going to be an issue

3 Likes

That’s possible. At the end it’s still quite bad compared to the live weather we are used to since years.

I stand corrected

Another thing to consider…
The sim seems to take weather inputs from the real data and put it into their weather generating engine. Thus rain and winds will likely never be the actual observations.
That being said there does seem to be some issues in that engine and how it handles layers seems broken. As does filling in areas between reporting stations.

And for that matter…increase the range you can see the wind sock animation! I know I’m getting older but my vision isn’t so bad that I can’t see the windsock look like its blowing a gale across the field! :rofl: maybe then people in this scenario will have a fighting chance…

Looks like they’ve heard us and it’s been added to the list.

yay

2 Likes