Sooooo, the wind is(n't) fixed!

I won’t even touch ATIS, way off. Was in clear skies in south FL the other day and ATIS was saying I was in heavy rain. Am beginning to wonder if you affect something when you fly in live weather, but change the time of day bc at one point, it was raining.

First off, I didn‘t specifically refer to any of your comments here. My statement was referring to the general attitude of some statements having been made here in the forum in the last couple of days (since I joined).

Second, the point of the Zendesk is that issues get collected, grouped and prioritised in an internal issue system. Then they get solved according to priority. That‘s documented.

And updating some „README“ in some random forum is probably NOT a number one priority a couple of days into the release. And I‘d rather see the studio solving issues rather than updating „marketing material“ and „roadmaps“. Heck, most developers are probably still in their well-deserved holidays, for that matter.

So again, let‘s calmly wait and see a couple of weeks, as calm as the wind in the USA is.

Agree one thousand percent. Nothing more humbling than trying to land in a 15 knot gusting crosswind in an empty 172. Essential skill for flight training and flight in general.

2 Likes

Fair enough. And yes, excuse my teasing - couldn‘t resist :wink:

Yes this right here! Saying

hurts my feelings :sob::sob:.

All joking aside, I think its great (but bizarre) it does work in some places. Means the system CAN work.

Ive spoken directly with MB about this, and they said as far as they (and asobo) can tell the issue is coming from within the sim itself, as all the necessary data is flowing to us the users (we see it works in europe right?).

My theory is theres some minor differences in how this data is displayed throughout the world, and if the sim cant make sense of it, it falls back on a default value.

“Supposedly” asobo has fixed this, and it will be rolled out in a patch according to MB. How fixed it really is, and when this happens remains to be seen.

And to the OP. To be clear, this isnt an issue regarding Americans upset their precious weather not working. Ive flown many places, there are even people using their time in the sim to make maps of where the repeatable borders of live winds working/not working in order to help solve the issue.

The issue isnt fixed, you perhaps just havent noticed it because you fly in europe. I dont know, but calling people From “certain populations” self entitled while were just trying to help, and youre too good for the issue because your region works, makes no sense lol.

2 Likes

Said no one, ever. Rather we‘ve come to the point where some people show an attitude like „I have reported this issue like 10 minutes ago and Asobo did not contact me yet about it! Outrageous! Fraud!“

That‘s the issue here.

YES. Wind is broken in some parts of the world. Yes, it is essential. And yes, it was a promised feature. And yes, I am pretty sure that Asobo knows about it by now. Let‘s move on already…

Sure, we must wait and see.

My point is though, that clearly this is a priority issue for the community and should be addressed as such.

I do believe what we see in this upcoming patch is more important than weather. There are people who still cant even install the sim! I feel awful for those people, and hope this works for them :cry:.

Its frustrating to see broken achievements be acknowledged but not this thats all. And im not the only one, and its not a “US” thing. Ive had issues in many places, so its not an entitled American issue believe it or not :joy:. Japan, just about all of north America and south america too.

several people said it in this thread. more like “why’s it such a big deal”, which to me says they don’t find it important.

1 Like

Oh boy this thread has gone off the rails. :joy:Go on the bugs and issues forum, and tell me all the topics that have over 100 votes. Ill wait here lol

Its a problem, that needs to and supposedly has been fixed behind the scenes. We are just in the dark regarding it as no official statement has been made

1 Like

I’m curious how much wind inaccuracy might be another bug/error in the readout and not the sim?

My observations were around more than just this weather bug, one troubled little soul was here a few days ago kicking off because a single building was missing from Dallas, which according to him is one of the most important cities in the world. I’ve seen similar about Mt Rushmore too.

I’m not belittling these issues or suggesting they do not effect me and therefore do not need to be fixed, I’m trying to say, it’s not the end of the world and there are plenty of other places to fly and things to do in the mean time while whatever issues are addressed.

2 Likes

You know ive though about that too.
True airspeed never varies from Groundspeed in these “broken” places so it appears that the wind really is 3kts.

Ive hooked up foreflight and that confirms the groundspeeds.

Also, especially when near the ground, you can definitely see/feel the effects of a strong wind. The readouts on the PFD have always matched how the plane seems to be reacting.

An even more interesting point though, and I think its similar to what you said, is that when flying through the Typhoon the other day, the waves were intense. This indicated that the water was reacting to strong wind. However my PFD read 3 knots, and the air was glass smooth.

Maybe the issue isnt the environment, but rather how the plane interacts with the environment. The PFD is merely showing what the plane “feels”. On other threads people have described it as a “bubble” of calm wind around the plane

Just tested in Philly

225/3 at 10K altitude (well, jumping from 224/3 to 228/3 randomly)
225/4 at 7K altitude

Since I am a bit bored, I will keep flying west (270) at 10K and check if everywhere is the same in US

1 Like

Oh boy the Mt Rushmore guy :man_facepalming:

No harm no foul man, I totally understand. Lots of unwarranted negativity. I fired up P3D the other day, and I had me a chuckle. The addon planes are fantastic, but I would love to see some of these people all snobby about the free default scenery, take a look at what lots of costly Orbx addons look like in P3D. Looks like a playstation2 game in comparison. Forget about faces on the side of a mountain :joy:

1 Like

All „Europe vs USA“ jokes aside :wink:: the fact that wind actually is working in some random locations like Europe is actually a good and very important point that some people seem to have completely missed. Because what that means is that the weather/wind system is actually working per se! It is not a „promised feature that was not delivered at launch“.

Now we can only speculate about the reasons why it works in certain areas and not in others: it may be a trivial „parsing error“ (data being delivered in a country/region specific format, like a different number format that was somewhere changed at last minute, like 1’000 vs 1.000 vs 1,000 etc., or a simple „metric vs imperial unit“ issue), or a more complicated „infrastructure issue“ („cloud computing/services“) - we don‘t know. But I‘m sure that Asobo knows about the relevance…

And hey! On my second day I flew in the USA already :us:! :grinning::metal:t2: But I am sorry, I was too busy avoiding sky scrapers while buzzing down the Fifth Avenue in New York or the strip in Las Vegas to take note of the missing wind :grimacing::rofl:

(But I did seem to have wind though while trying to land on El Capitan in the Yosemite park, but that was maybe caused by my over-excitement :thinking:)

Clear skies!

1 Like

Heres an interesting one for you!
Fly out of KEYW, and head north toward florida. For me and someone else ive spoken to, we get good winds aloft departing key west, then when after a bit, theres always a violent wind shear and you cross one of these live weather boundaries. The shear is a sudden and instant one to 225@3. Id be interested to see if you can recreate that as well.

Haha!! Yeah I like the parsing error theory the most myself. The system clearly works, and all indications show that the weather data is flowing to the data client.

What you said seems to be the only logical explanation for why the sim is behaving as it does. A difference in data confuses the sim’s logic so it just default to calm wind. My guess is the value for calm wind cant be 0@0 so its 225@3 lol.

It should be an east fix if thats the case :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Not really, I flew in the UAE and weather is not accurate either

1 Like

Oh yeah, I got that as well. A big jerky movement when wind changed from whatever to 225/3

Glad there’s no cup holder in TBM 930 and I was not holding a drink…

1 Like

Weather is one of the most important things to consider when flying , it is the core of a good simulator.

2 Likes