Southern New England scenery reverted more than 8 years after USA redo

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

Southern New England scenery reverted more than 8 years after USA redo. Significant tells for entire area: Q Bridge on I95 was completed in 2015, current view is of old bottleneck bridge and start of new construction; 2 new Yale colleges completed in 2017 are missing. These are just the most obvious signs of the entire area having been reverted to old scenery.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

N/A since it covers a major area,

ICAO or coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

N/A

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

View New Haven, CT and other nearby areas.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

N/A

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

1.26.5.0 World Update X: USA

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

related to the bridge… did you have a screenshot “before” and “after” WU X ?

One experiment is to uninstall World Update 10 and see if the PG instructions in USA Update 1 restores what you used to see.

my little assumption about the bridge was, it is PG related, at least what I have seen as I made my screenshot one . So I simple disabled PG for a compare:

With PG enabled:

With PG disabled ( whats may be the stuff we seen before WU X update , PG was new so far I remember ):

1 Like

Personal Comments

Bing Maps Aerials is updated so I can’t help but wonder if it’s the PG instructions in WU10. We do know that the Bing Maps streaming in the sim isn’t identical to Bing Maps online, there will be differentials and Martial has mentioned on many Dev Q&As that the data has to be manipulated to fit the sim, including color correction etc. It may be that the PG available for New Haven is outdated, knowing that PG is an expensive imaging operation and wouldn’t lend itself to being refreshed on a frequent basis.

@MichaMMA,
Thanks for the effort, but neither is what appeared before WU 10. Before WU10, the bridge was complete with Towers AND suspension cables with PG on. The first, as you show, is from before 2015. The second has neither towers nor cables - I can’t imagine what it is. I have been flying in Europe for a long time and was really surprised when I flew down the coast to kjfk. The rest of the Sound shore is fairly static IRL, but this really popped. I simply assumed they had mistakenly replaced the proper scenery with a very old version when they “updated” USA with additional hi res scenery. Also, it is not just the bridge, it is also the parts of Yale (which occupies the majority of the center city) that had reverted to prior than 2015. I also assume that much more of southern NE has old scenery, but it is hard to define the limits of the change.

@CasualClick,
The Q bridge was up-to-date before WU10 with PG on, as was the Yale Campus. The view that you show here is the bridge’s current condition, but is that shot from the sim or from Bing in your browser? The area is considered IRL as part of the NYC metro area and had always had the latest PG because of that, I thought, since release. the angle is pretty vertical and you can see the towers with suspension cables. That is what was displayed before WU10. As i wrote above, could it just be an oversight? I also don’t understand why it was moved way back before 2015, since there were several updates to Bing after that. Now this doesn’t really affect flying, obviously, but it is more than a bit strange and who knows how big an area the reversion covers. So, I just thought that somebody should know about it. Both of you have been gracious to try to figure out a reason.

The thing about this is, the one way I would imagine it can be repro’d is to uninstall WU10 and see what it looks like with PG.

2 Likes

that image is with PG setting to OFF. So autogen scenery and/or may be manual added 3d models.

because I was intressted to see how it looks without WU10 , I now uninstalled it and checked with PG ON.

And as expected we see exact SAME scenery as with WU 10 ( I also not expected that there are different sources for PG ).

( without WU 10, PG On )

The result:

• I can not reproduce a difference in PG scenery at these bridge “without vs with” WU 10
  • note: the PG - OFF scenerie looks also same

… and now, I have to reinstall WU 10…

1 Like

All of my PG in the Boston area has always been 7+ years old.

The last smoke stack at Salem Power was taken down in 2015

@ MichaMMA
The view you show without WU 10 and PG on, is what I saw before WU 10 and is the completed bridge.
So, you proved that WU 10 was the cause of the reversion to about 2010-2012.

Why would they take the trouble to undo it?

It is just ironic that WU10 was supposed to be an improvement of USA visuals, and they make this part of the country worse. I don’t think they understand that the Bos-Wash Corridor is the center of finance and government on the East Coast (indeed, the Country), or that I95 is the replacement of US 1 - the first highway in the country from preRevolutionary times - goes from Maine To Fla. and is below the main aerial route across the Atlantic. Planes go right up the middle of the Sound and Long Island’s South Shore. It is what passengers see when the plane they are on climbs out of JFK or EWR. Planes going north use that exact spot to turn left because the west off-ramp of that Bridge connects to I91 and they follow it to KBDL or spots in Mass. and VT. It is funny, but it is Amazon’s plane route to KBDL because they have a giant warehouse near it.
But they improved Boise Idaho. Yeah, we needed that.

1 Like

@Salem978
Does that include the city and the other historical areas, too? If, so, I feel for you. The source of The Revolution gets no love, I guess.

From your handle, I wonder if it is due to witchery :slight_smile:

ähmm ??

Both screenshots With and Without WU 10 looks exact same.

• So, I proved that there is no change with installing WU 10.
    And therefore your bug-report seems for me invalid.

But as we already requested: You can also share screenshots With and Without WU 10. Then we can see what you see :wink:

PS: coord for easy find, just in case other users want quickly retest it too:
41° 17’ 50,69" N 72° 54’ 18,90" W

1 Like

My Bad. I misunderstood what you wrote. I just don’t understand what is going on, except I know what I see is different. I deleted my rolling cache, so, that is not the problem - nothing old stored. I’ll get a screen shot sometime soon. BTW, did you have rolling cache on?

Anyway, whatever it is is not a big deal for me and I thank you for your effort. And I won’t drag this issue out.

1 Like

I have it disabled since a while ( I do a long time test whether I realy need that an whats about performance ).

dont understand us wrong. We are intressted at possible issues, but in this case I can not reproduce. Therefore its allways good to add screenshots about “visual issues”.

If you have time, you can also remove WU 10. Then check the location , make a screenshot and then quickly install WU 10 again ( its not as big ). Then we can follow what you see :slight_smile:

The general situation about PG was already mentioned from @CasualClick … PG source data is not necessarly the same as current Bing-Maps. Also creation of PG areas needs a lot of computer-power and so it may based on older sources. I personal can live with that, also if we get a bit outdated PG data, it looks more better as all we seen before in a flight-sim.

1 Like

OK this is what I see with WU10. Partially started columns, construction debris on the left. I will undo WU10 and get another pic. It is the middle of a workday, and I am more than a little behind.

Yep, that’s what I saw on my installation.

Now, my understanding of certain PG is that it’s a) local instructions - a very small set of files if you think about the most recent City Update 1, that b) if you’re streaming PG during the game, the sim will send those instructions to the servers so you get that information rendered while flying near/over it as opposed to the autogen.

That being said, we don’t know what pre-WU10 PG will look like; hopefully you can show it once you’ve uninstalled WU10.

Can echo the 7+ year old maps.

Athough the World Map shows the extended (~8700’) runway 5/23 at T.F. Green, the actual shows the older (~7,166) length (ref:https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/PVD_airport_map.PNG).
I have noted this (ref: Outdated Information For KPVD - Bug Reports / Scenery and Airports - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Finally found time to uninstall WU10 (life intrudes), and viewed what I expected , since it is not believable that your WU10 and prior installs would be different than mine. As with yours, the 10-12 year old PG is the same before and after WU10. It was not even worth taking a screen shot - why duplicate yours and my own posst-WU10 view. So WU10 has/had nothing to do with it and I apologize for making you do work.

However, I refuse to believe that I hallucinated the more modern and up-to-date Bing PG versions that I saw before I started flying exclusively in Europe. When Hype came out with the H135, one of the liveries was a STAR medevac with “Yale Health” printed visibly. So, I did lots of simulated medevac flights in the New Haven area and took off and landed at YNHH.(Fun, actually). I also flew down the coastal airway in other planes to KJFK numerous times, and always saw the completed bridge.

I have no idea how and when the change happened but, as I said I have no real dog in the fight. I have no affection for the Q Bridge or I95, and will continue to enjoy flying as I have in the past. This was just a signal to me that something I could not explain happened. Certainly I have a much greater feeling for Brits and their travails with London, for example.

Again thanks, it is what it is, and whatever happens I’ll know that folks like you are watching over us.