SpecialK is finally here! (pipeline enhancements)

So. Probably everyone knows him…but mr SpecialK has been around the gaming scene for quite some time with amazing results on every single game.

Special K is an extensive game modifying framework allowing for various forms of in-depth tweaking of a game. The focus is primarily on the graphics pipeline but the tool also includes features such as input device blocking/configuring, window and volume management, enhancements for some of the in-game functionality of Steam, and more.

So…finally has been released for FS2020.

Heres the link:

4 Likes

have you already tried this? Curious if you had any results to report
I may give it a shot tonight

What is it and what does it do? Never heard of it/him.

I’m confused about how to get this running…i followed the instructions on the link, but how do I know if it’s doing anything?

What who? Everyone knows him. Yeah ofc

I think I’ve figured it out.

1. If you haven’t used SpecialK before, you’ll need the full package which is here. This is found on the link above, in a later post by the admin.

2. Create a folder – anywhere, a place to extract the files in the zip. Once you’ve done that, download the Flight Sim version (also part of the link above) here.

3. Copy and paste over the SpecialK64.dll and SpecialK64.pdb in the folder where you extracted the base SpecialK stuff, and overwrite the originals.

4. Open the SKIF.exe and go to the “Injection Config” tab. Under “Whitelist,” type in FlightSimulator.exe and save.

5. Go to the “Global Injection” tab, and click Start.

6. Start up MSFS

7. After it’s done loading, exit MSFS.

8. Go back into the running SKIF (SpecialK program), and click “Stop Service.”

9. Go back to the SpecialK folder that you created, and go to Profiles>Flightsimulater.exe>SpecialK.ini

10. You can overwrite the one in the folder with the one from the second zip you downloaded (the one containing 3 files – one of them is called SpecialK.ini

11. I am still playing around to get the best results, but it would benefit if you read, re-read, and read again, the linked post from the OP. There are not many posts, but there is some tinkering that can be done to the .ini file.

12. After the .ini is in, restart the SKIF.exe, and click “Start” again.

13. Open MSFS and enjoy!

This is what I’m currently using at 30 FPS locked through RivaTuner. I’m trying to see if setting the TargetFPS to 60 or 30 will make much a difference.
[Threads.Analyze]
FileActivity=true

[Window.System]
Borderless=true
Center=true
Fullscreen=true

[Render.FrameRate]
TargetFPS=60.0
LimiterTolerance=1.333
SleeplessRenderThread=true
SleeplessWindowThread=true
EnableMMCSS=true
MaxBusyWaitPercent=0.425
PreRenderLimit=6
BackBufferCount=5
PresentationInterval=1

[Render.DXGI]
UseFlipDiscard=true
SwapChainWait=100

[SpecialK.System]
EnableCEGUI=false

[Textures.Cache]
IgnoreNonMipmapped=true

From what I can tell, the sim seems much more fluid, even when below 30FPS. There is a bit of input lag, but nothing distracting. It seems like the frames are much more consistent. Try it out and let me know what you find.

3 Likes

Bumping this because I finally gave up messing with Nvidia , bios, and process lasso settings and installed specialk.
■■■■! Really improved my experience, I was getting 35-45fps and was getting killed by momentary stutters. This almost completely got rid of all of it…I am actually in shock lol.
Highly recommend if you’ve exhausted the settings route of troubleshooting to give this a try.

what is this, actually ??

1 Like

Dunno. But it sounds like cheat mode to me.

anyone tried the steam version? mine crahes right after “press any key” with this…

1 Like

I wouldn’t use it until a few months. Improvements are promised for next september update. https://www.flightsimulator.com/september-3rd-2020-development-update/

Reducing the backbuffer count and pre-render limit should help with input lag.

I tried that, but I wonder if it will mess with the frametime consistency…

Mine too. It works the first 2 times, then stop working.

1 Like

Is anyone still using this? I couldn’t get it to run. Crashes immediately.

This sounds and smells like something that has been announced prematurely …

Its not April 1st 2021 yet !!

I see what you did there.

Ok sure. But what is it ?!!

2 Likes