Spitfire is spitting me to the left violently!

I think something got messed up in the Spit flight model somewhere around the French update, or the last Sim Update, and the Spitfire has not been patched after that.

possibly a better way to look at it is that the MSFS global flight model has a lot of problems out of the gate - and that as they are corrected, aircraft that are already released will need to be adjusted.
Many of the first models released by 3rd party developers (the ones with integrity) will have to be constantly updated over the next several months as MSFS continues to refine, add features to, and correct the flaws of their Global flight model

1 Like

Read the manual. Adjust rudder bias full-port before takeoff. Slowly advance to -2 boost and 2500 rpm. If you have a quadrant, this is easy. Not sure with controller how to adjust rpm independent of boost. You’ll still need half rudder right as you hit the awkward in-between of dragging and nose level. Once the nose is down, accelerate to full boost and rpm until v1. Once in the air, adjust rudder bias back to neutral to avoid side slipping.

Bonus landing tip: keep 2600 rpm and -2 boost. Use power and trim to adjust attitude, keep the power on until your wheels touch down with a mild nose-up attitude. Apply brakes with moderate back pressure. Cutting throttle like a normal ga will make you prone to bouncing, ballooning or a single wing stalls.

3 Likes

I tried this and still had no success. I’ve never been more disappointed in a marketplace download. I’ve seen people have loads of fun with the Spitfire and I consider myself to be a decently versed pilot in MSFS (over 100 hours of flight time) but takeoffs are simply impossible in this plane for me.

I bought mine from the flyingiron as I got tired of the marketplace. That made absolutely no difference in the violent takeoffs and landings.

1 Like

What’s most disappointing, in my view, is even if I’m able to find a workaround to get this thing in the air, the hoops I need to jump through to make it happen do not bode well for the level of immersion I expected with this purchase. I’d like to say, “Lesson learned,” but the issue is if I look up reviews of the Spitfire beforehand, it’s all positive. It’s not until I recognize this glaring issue, Google it, and discover this issue that I realize there’s a problem.

2 Likes

I don’t know if you understand that the Spitfire is a different beast than pretty much every other plane in the game, due to being a tail-dragger with a free-spinning rear caster and a narrow base in front. It’s a bear to control on take-off because that’s kinda just how physics works when you have a huge amount of propeller torque working against the Spitfire’s gear configuration. It’s a simulated and tuned feature of the airplane, not a bug in the game. If that doesn’t work for you, how does it take-off with rudder assist?

The real one isn’t that difficult to control on takeoff. Not even the Mk XVI with its much more powerful engine.
Check how little rudder work and deflection is required IRL.

4 Likes

Hey if that’s the case than I stand corrected. From what I have read in my search for help seems to suggest that while it should be more difficult to take off, it shouldn’t be THIS difficult. Maybe everyone else is wrong, and you’re right. I honestly don’t know. It just doesn’t feel like I should immediately tailspin with low thrust when the rear wheel lifts.

This definitely a bug and it affects e.g. the default Pitts as well.

1 Like

I notice my Carenado C170 has similar issues, just not nearly as severe as the Spitfire, and I can fight through it relatively well. It takes an insane amount of effort for me to get the Spitfire in the air.

I don’t have a Problem with the fact that the spitfire goes to the left, but the way it’s done in MSFS is really bad. It’s almost digital at a certain speed. Normaly it should build up gradualy in regards to RPM. And if you have enough speed you have enough rudder authority to counter it more easy.
In MSFS once you reach a certain speed the plane is nearly uncomtrollable.
When you start your Takeoff run, until you reach the speed where thw mess starts, the Spitfire is like on rails. Also wrong in my opinion.
It’s the same with the Just Flight Arrow. So sad that the fun is spoiled with such behaiviuor. Because both planes are really nice made, except the Takeoff.

1 Like

Same here, I cannot take off, the plane gets violently thrown out of the runway everytime.

Thank god, I thought I was alone

It shouldn’t, but since this is the reason why it happens, it makes is easier to control.
This method works e.g. on the Pitts and it might work on the Spit as well (as an interim solution):

Apply light back pressure on the stick to keep the tailwheel on the ground.
When the speed has increased sufficiently, release the back pressure and apply rudder at the same time to counteract the sudden yaw.

That said, IRL the gyroscopic precesion when you lift the tail is very noticeable and you do need to counteract the resulting yaw moment.

2 Likes

Thanks. I will use this and keep working at it. Any idea if the development team has commented on whether or not they’re looking into these ground physics down the line?

100% agree. Extremely fun plane to handle in the air and really beautifully crafted. Just wish the fun wasn’t tempered so much by the ground handling.

AFAIK Asobo is working on this friction issue (and other ground issues)

That’s great to hear

Yes, they mentioned this at a previous Q&A, with no ETA mentioned. I got the impression this was non trivial.

Yes, struggling very much with take offs as well in the FI Spitfire.

I’ve read all this thread and applied the suggested solutions but i’m still finding acceptable take offs pretty much impossible.

In comparison with the Milviz Corsair taking off in the latter is a piece of cake.

1 Like