Spitfire is spitting me to the left violently!

Yeah. I hate to say I’m regretting the purchase but I am this point. My hope is that in the future something gets cleaned up and makes this plane worth the time.

3 Likes

SU4
Spent a lot of time in the Pitts. Ground handling and aerobatic capability was really quite good.

SU5
Tried testing the Pitts. Couldn’t manage a normal takeoff. Ground loop was nearly unavoidable.

IRL
Nearly 1000 hrs in the Pitts. Over 3000 in light, hi-powered tailwheel aircraft, mostly C 185.

Spitfire
Haven’t tried it yet. If it responds like the Pitts, I won’t until I get SU4 tailwheel ground handling back.

SU6/7
I am going to bet this is going to be one of the priority fixes coming down the pipe. Current taildragger modelling IS broken guys but, patience. It will come.

3 Likes

The one thing I don’t understand is how some tail draggers are OK on the ground while others struggle so much. Maybe it’s just Asobo, but the Husky is great for me. Love the plane from takeoff to touchdown. But the Carenado C170 is not a pleasant experience on the ground (but tolerable.) The Spitfire is not worth my time, at the moment. So when Asobo develops a tail dragger, are they working around something that other developers can’t?

Horsepower.

You can modify this behavior by going to the Flyingiron Spitfire folder in your Community folder, look for the Flight_Model.cfg file , open it and scroll way down near the end to Flight_Tuning, in there you can adjust Pitch_Stability, Roll_ Stability and Yaw _Stability . I changed mine from what ever they were, I think it was .5, .15 and .5 respectively to .6, .5 and .6. I set rudder trim at 2.5 right and elevator trim to a couple of notches nose up and I can get it off the ground pretty good. You still have to be careful with it though.

1 Like

I agree that there is a problem with the Spitfire, but the Just Flight Arrow seems to be just fine. At least on my system. I fly it most of the time. Perhaps do a reinstall of the JF Arrow.

Also with the Turbo Arrow?

Hello,

Is there still an issue with the flyingiron spitfire?
I am really interrested in the plane, but dont want to do left circels on the runway.

1 Like

Use rudder trim, don’t accelerate at full throttle, and be sure to add aileron as speed picks up. No issue with the plane, you just need to practice, practice, pratice …

4 Likes

It’s absolutely fantastic imo. I’ve had it for several months now and the whole time I’ve had it, it’s been nerfed to a large degree of its reported crazy temperament. I never experienced that crazy hard veering problem though it does actually still require anticipation for a little rudder dance. Plenty approachable and reasonable. If your experienced with taildraggers, you’ll do fine. Just ease the power on as it’s got 1500hp and doesn’t need even half that to takeoff.

1 Like

There’s never been an issue with the FlyingIron Spitfire ground handling. It is realistically challenging, but is much much easier just reading & following the manual. Set your trims accordingly, hold that stick back to your gut, steady on the throttle increase, and don’t boost higher than 8 on takeoff.

2 Likes

It’s much better now but there was definitely a problem with it at first and anyone saying otherwise is in my opinion ignorant or pretentious. It’s a nice aircraft but if you need to practice to take off , every spitfire would have been wrecked in their first few flights. Stop blaming it on the torque to justify the aircraft radically swinging you out of control. In real life , torque or no torque , it would be a gradual pull , not a sudden one like the one we suffered at first. Still, this is an amazing aircraft once you’re airborne , especially in VR :blush:

5 Likes

Thanks for you to help me.

Have bought it now and i am really loving it.
After crashing 10 times on takeoff :smiley:
But once in the air it is fantastic

1 Like

If you’re going to call me ignorant or pretentious, at least show me the courtesy of an @.

1 Like

You may just be the better pilot. I don’t own either of the Spitfire’s so can’t comment on the issue.

It sounds a little like the issues that were found with the SWS Kodiak, where they massively inflated the value for P-Factor, something like x10 IIRC. Many streamers were taking off, pulling back, then death spiralling into the ground. SWS claimed there was no issue until @CpMoustache provided a mod. Shortly after that a new version of the Kodiak was released with reduced P-Factor.

I shot a video of it at MTOW, and I was able to take off, and maintain centre line while doing so, after making sure I kept a low deck angle until I built speed to gain rudder authority, before either the mod or the updated version were released.

So I see that Spitfire issue as a somewhat related situation. Tricky, but not impossible if you use the right technique. I picked up on that from watching Ryan on his YT channel, where he would do just that.

Do what feels comfortable. My method (which isn’t like what you’ll typically hear) doesn’t involve holding back the stick at all throughout the T/O roll but I get her up effective and safe while using runway length advantage. Trimming up a few notches or so then bringing power to 25 MP, as the tail lifts raise to 30 or not much more while countering the torque steer using rudder. Allow it to fly itself off the runway or a little pull back sooner is fine depending on runway length. It might be unconventional but it works for me, I use this similar technique for everything really.

You’ll get it dialled in eventually. You do what jives with you. There’s not really any 1 way with these things.

1 Like

But many wrong ways. :wink:

1 Like

Yes. “Some things are better than others”. Almost verboten or taboo nowadays to suggest such a thing.

Why don’t you consider grabbing the Spitfire since you don’t have it? Looks like your subconscious or something led you here for a reason. Go on! You know you want to! No pressure :rofl:

great aircraft this, flies exceptionally well, take off was never a problem here.

I’ll also say - if you don’t have rudder pedals, it’s a lot harder to takeoff properly in a single-engine taildragger. You WILL have to dance on them if you’re in any kind of crosswind and especially if you’re cranking up the power for a short-distance takeoff. The Milviz Corsair is even harder to takeoff without properly trim, but at least THAT plane has the advantage of separate aileron trim, which is very, very handy.

1 Like