Splash Screen Please

I could not find any shader cache being modified during those 30 seconds.
Are you referring to data in the folder %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe or something else?
This path is for the MS Store version of the sim. Steam might have a different one.

During that time it processes several files that kept swapping around in the list when ordering by name or size so I did not manage to identify the path of the file, but what’s for sure is that it was being processed by the FlightSimulator.exe application and that it had “shader” in its name. Maybe “SHADER.CCC” or something similar. I’ll see if I can spot it again while booting the simulator.

I ran process monitor while booting up the sim and then filtered out activity related to the FlightSimulator.exe process.
After clicking the shortcut there is some activity for half a second were a lot of registry keys and files are read then it all goes silent for about 28 seconds. Nothing got logged related to this process during this time.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ll see if I can filter the activity as well and take a better look. For me this boot process takes around one minute, probably because I’ve installed the simulator on an HDD, which could explain this shader caching process appearing for longer.

After clicking the desktop shortcut to run the sim, I have to wait around 30 seconds before the sim launches. literally nothing happens for 30 seconds. Why is this? If its loading, why not just dislay a splash screen?

• Sim is installed on a nvme drive.
  • Community folder is empty.
  • Premium Deluxe version.
  • No other programs running

Specs:

3700X, 2070S, 32Gb RAM @3200, Samsung Nvme 970 Evo 1Tb

After clicking the desktop shortcut to run the sim, I have to wait around 30 seconds before the sim launches. literally nothing happens for 30 seconds. Why is this? If its loading, why not just dislay a splash screen?

• Sim is installed on a nvme drive.
  • Community folder is empty.
  • Premium Deluxe version.
  • No other programs running

Specs:

3700X, 2070S, 32Gb RAM @3200, Samsung Nvme 970 Evo 1Tb

that you have short time for relaxing before the hard work starts :wink:

It’s just loading. It’s not a HUGE delay. It’s 30 seconds!

1 Like

Thank you, it was more of a question of why? Is this different for me and my setup? Could I do anything to speed it up?

Have you got Lots of Add Ons in your Community Folder ?

Can’t offer a why. This has been a question asked many times since release. There have been people with lock ups caused by the system trying to load MSFS twice, because they weren’t sure they had got the double click right. :slight_smile:
I even pinned the shortcut to the bar so I only need one click. :wink:
I think this is just a way to ensure you are in a patient state of mind…

I know it’s going to be a few minutes before I am ready to fly, so I click, make sure I have a beer and a cigar ready, use the facilities, (my mom always told me to pee before a road trip) and by the time I get back, the system is ready to fly.

1 Like

I used to have to wait 8-10 minutes for FSII to load on the C64. I could go grab a snack, make a cup of coffee, and return before it even finished loading. Then the Epyx fast load cartridge came out and cut the loading time to 4-5 minutes.

So, 30 seconds isn’t really such a long time to load a very complex program.

1 Like

Nope, tried with empty and with a few mods. No difference

Yeah 30 seconds is ok, but why not bring up a splash screen or something? You have no idea anything has happened after clicking it. No other programs/games behave like this

Even with “-FastLaunch” it takes literal ages. I have a beefy setup using a Samsung SSD 970. It’s pretty fast but the loading screen takes 30 seconds at least. Not the mention the other 30+ seconds whenever I configured my flight and pressed “fly”.

30 seconds is the equivalent of 300 years in Millenial.

P.S. ‘Unflyable’?

2 Likes

Didn’t we vote to remove the splash screen? Because people hated it? This is why I don’t like the voting system.

1. Feature A exists
  2. Some people don’t like it and start a vote to get it removed.
  3. Other people who do like it don’t notice the thread or that there is an issue.
  4. Feature A gets removed.
  5. The people who liked it now get upset and start a vote to get it put back.
  6. Repeat endlessly.

nope… that was the start-video-whatever-ads-thing.

The idea is a little splash screen (image) while it loads. Other apps do same… you directly see that the app is “in loading”. The OP mean this time from “double-click” to “first noticable action”.

Example…
directly after the double click I get this image… in a un-named Competing product :rofl:

I use a starter programme (not an addon as such)

which as soon as I click on the desktop icon presents a MSFS Splash Screen. I don’t get any of the credits and after a short wait the screen goes black (as it does starting “normally”) whilst the programme loads. It doesn’t seem to reduce the loading time but at least I know I’ve actually started the sim! It closes itself down once the sim is loading.

1 Like

same for me, because I use the –Fastlaunch option ( which also prevent some issues :wink: )