SR-71 Blackbird

According to the trailer recently released for the Top Gun Expansion Pack, it appears as though there will be an SR-71 Blackbird in our near future! Looking forward to giving it a go! That expansion pack is going to be a fun one. Go to 2:08 of the trailer, link below.

Microsoft Flight Simulator - Official Xbox Series X|S Gameplay Trailer | E3 2021 - YouTube

EDIT: I stand corrected. It is not an SR-71. To see the aircraft in the Top Gun movie trailer, here’s a link. It is at the 2:12 mark.

Top Gun: Maverick (2021) – New Trailer - Paramount Pictures - YouTube

1 Like

That isn’t a SR-71 in the trailer.

4 Likes

@ThatAJWGuy what is it?

Nope, not a SR-71, but it is an unknown highly classified airplane that is probably the SR-71’s replacement.

And out of the entire military pilot pool, they pick Maverick of all people to fly it…

Guess we’ll have to see the movie

2 Likes

It is a Lockheed Martin SR-72.
The Lockheed Martin SR-72, colloquially referred to as “Son of Blackbird”, is an American concept intended for intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance proposed privately in 2013 by Lockheed Martin as a successor to the retired Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird. The company expected an SR-72 test vehicle could fly by 2023.
(source: Wikipedia)

1 Like

Best guess seems to be the SR-72, though it’s hard to be sure. How they can include an aircraft that is still under development, and about which details are likely to remain highly classified for many years, I have no idea. If it is the SR-72, and is included and flyable, much of it will be pure guesswork.

Lockheed Martin SR-72

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s an existing thing. But I’m no expert.

3 Likes

It does look a little choppy in the trailer, but I’m both Microsoft/Asobo and Lockheed Martin are both working on their models. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Well it’s Hollywood… no reason to believe its anything other than made up.

1 Like

You have a point there lol

Well, whatever it is….

Maverick will be buzzing the tower of Area 51 at Mach 6, while the poor controller spills his coffee again

1 Like

So looking forward to Top Gun 2!

4 Likes

It’s SR-91 Aurora

2 Likes

Maybe it’s a fictional experimental aircraft that is yet to be revealed in the movie?

Yes, how could it be anything other than fictional.

Isn’t the whole purpose of Hollywood to produce entertainment, fiction or not? :slight_smile:

Nope. It’s an SR-72 UAV that Hollywood has turned into a manned aircraft.

2 Likes

Guys… I also saw a hippo in that movie… doesn’t mean we get to fly one…

(edit: might have been a rhino? I always mix those two up… that’s why I don’t fly them…)

I don’t think the SR-72 is referred to as the “Son of Blackbird” I’ve seen it referred to as that ‘Black SOB’ I wonder if it will require bathtubs under the wings when on the taxiway, as well.

Could that aircraft in the trailer finally be the mysterious aurora?